View Poll Results: E-Ticket Avatar Ride That Would Send Your Inner Dragon Soaring Highest

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • "Soarin'r" Ride System That Utilizes Projected 3D Images

6 22.22%
  • Indoor Coaster &/or Darkride (perhaps w/Outdoor Coaster Element) Including AAs & Projected 3D Images

12 44.44%
  • Musical Attraction Similar To Small World, With Peter Pan Ride System

1 3.70%
  • More Than One of the Above Ride Ideas

6 22.22%
  • Other

5 18.52%
  • None

2 7.41%
  • I'll Be Back With You After Discussing This With Producer James Cameron

2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Insomniac

Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

No matter what ride system it uses, an Avatar "flying ride" will always seem too much like star tours if it uses 3D or screens. Soarin' is not all that much different from ST. Both uses projections to make it feel like you are somewhere different, both induce a feeling of flying, and both even have a similar flight prep video. Unless Disney creates a completely new experience that does not involve projections or video screens, it will still feel a little too close to ST IMO.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Senior Minion

Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D " Flying Attraction" That Is On The Board

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    Unless Disney creates a completely new experience that does not involve projections or video screens, it will still feel a little too close to ST IMO.
    Bingo. I wouldn't hold my breath for a new experience. We're talking Avatar, a retread of Dances with Wolves meets Pocahontas, and Disney, which hasn't done anything completely new in decades (including their idea to license Avatar).
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Ice101 View Post
    Wait....what!?

That just came across as the uber Disney fanboy who loves anything/everything Disney does just because its Disney. How on earth did Universal copy Disney? Since they knew that Disney was building a land of "myth and magic". That's copying? Seriously? Think about that genre: Myth and Magic. Its so infinitely huge that it beyond logic to say that one park is copying another for the use of a Myth and Magic theme.

It's like saying Knotts copied Disneyland in 2002 with Xcelerator. Or like saying Del Taco copied Taco Bell buy selling tacos. Its beyond me how you can use that reasoning to say that Universal copied Disney. Beastly Kingdom was nothing like Wizarding World. Beastly Kingdom was about dragons and unicorns. Wizarding World is about wizards and Harry Potter.
    Yeah that makes little sense. However if he made that argument about Lost Continent, which was about dragons and unicorns, he'd have a much stronger case.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Banned User

I think the "Flying ride" will be more in the style of Dumbo, because that is the type of ride WDW management likes to put in its parks.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid112 View Post
    They can't mirrio the tech used for HP since Universal bought the lock on Kula.
    I think you mean Kuka, the device on FJ that you sit in. Unfortunately a couple years before FJ, guests at another park were riding a KUKA arm. That's what the Sum of All Thrills attraction in Innoventions at Epcot is.

If I was to guess disney probably used this before any other amusment park. It was Tiger in "The Bird and the Robot" in World of Motion when Epcot opened in 82.

The KUKA arm dates back into the early 70s. And KUKA started selling it as a ride in the early 2000's.

As far as the poll, I think a rollercoaster type ride is most likely. However I'm not sure about the indoor outdoor part. Because it rains a lot in Florida and why have an attraction that can keep you dry being indoors, pop outside to let you get wet.

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Sure. Just because there are a few people on the MC board that insist the only reason that Disney is creating Avatar Land is out of a knee jerk reaction to Universal's Wizarding World (and more particular Forbidden Journey) does not mean that this accusation has been tried and proven in a court of law. I have just as much rationality and right to insinuate the opposite.

You have already indicated that you accept my earler reasoning that both HP and AL utilizr myth and magic....although you say that leaves too large a gap for a conclusion to be drawn that Uni reacted to or copied Disney. I say it's evidence enough. But to further elaborate, Beastly Kingdom was to have been a completely original and based on the fact that there was no talk of incorporating movie based attractions into it. A large part of the land was to feature magical mythalogical creatures, with drogaons being predomidantly featured.

So, what did Universal do? They intentionally beat disney to the quick. Uni didn't have enuff imagination or guts to come up with and take a risk on an original land, so it bought in to an outside franchise, Harry Potter....a movie brand that relies heavily on magical mythological creatures. and dragons being heavily emphasized. So, there it is....Uni copied disney, and I am surprised at never having heard a peep over Universal's Potter Land from those here that incessently complain about Disney's lack of compunction to create original non-movie based attractions. Disney did not simply react to Universal. Disney reacted to Universal reacting to it.
    Actually, we don't have to speculate about this at all. Universal did copy known plans for Beastly Kingdom, but long before WWOHP. During the development of IoA, Universal hired away lots of people who had been laid off from WDI after DAK opened. The Imagineers they hired used a lot of the concepts they had been working on for Beastly Kingdom, made them different enough to avoid being sued, and created the Lost Continent area of IoA (and also some attractions in the Jurassic Park area). It's been speculated, with good reason, that the reason Beastly Kingdom was never built was because Disney didn't want to appear to be copying Uni.

Source: The Neverland Files: Beastly Kingdom

With that in mind, it's very hard to (reasonably) believe that Universal was intentionally copying anyone/anything with WWOHP, other than copying/improving the tenets of highly immersive themed environments that previously had been the sole domain of WDI. It's pretty reasonable to believe that "Avatar-land" is Disney's response to WWOHP.

Btw, Universal didn't invent the copying game. MGM Studios was a rushed-to-market park, the primary purpose of which was to beat Universal to the punch. When the Studios first opened, it included almost nothing but attractions that Eisner had stolen from Uni's original concepts for Universal Orlando, thus forcing them back to the drawing board.

Source: Ten Wishes for the New Year: #6
    Source: Universal Studios History, Universal History, Universal Studios Orlando
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Avatar Land: James Cameron Confirms 3D

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Btw, Universal didn't invent the copying game. MGM Studios was a rushed-to-market park, the primary purpose of which was to beat Universal to the punch. When the Studios first opened, it included almost nothing but attractions that Eisner had stolen from Uni's original concepts for Universal Orlando, thus forcing them back to the drawing board.

Source: Ten Wishes for the New Year: #6
    Source: Universal Studios History, Universal History, Universal Studios Orlando
    and I'm sure universal would have created a much better backlot tour then the awful example disney created. the difference between wdw's backlot tour and the one say at universal Hollywood is beyond night and day, you almost cant even compare the two.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123