Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disneyworld

Talking Disneyworld

Planning our 1st trip to disneyworld. Was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas on where to stay and when the best time to go to WDW would be? Would like a villa type place if possible ( trying to save some money). Is a rental car needed? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Teresa

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Disneyworld

Ok a lot of questions all in one.... but a lot depends on your group, but I will give general answers:

Best Time: Early Spring or Late Fall.

Best Places to stay if you are on a budget: All Star Resort Family Suites, Pop Century, and Art of Animation Family Suites.

If you stay on property you don't need a rental car, but if you get a place with a kitchen you will need a rental car to get to a grocery store, unless you walk from DTD to Cross Roads and go to Goodings.

I can not recommend enough staying on property. Especially if it is your first time. There is something special about being wrapped up in the magic.

I hope this helps.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I'd change "Don't Need" to "might not want a rental car", since there are arguable benefits to not relying on bus service.

I would suggest a rental car. If you are staying at any of the Walt Disney World Resort hotels, then you get free parking at all parks. It's much nicer to have a car to avoid long waits for transportation and crowded busses.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    I would suggest a rental car. If you are staying at any of the Walt Disney World Resort hotels, then you get free parking at all parks. It's much nicer to have a car to avoid long waits for transportation and crowded busses.
    A car is completely unnecessary and just contributes to clogging up the roads, filling the parking lots, and melting the polar ice caps. The bus is free, takes you to the very front so you never have to walk far to get into the park, and you never have to wait more than 10-15 minutes for the bus.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Insomniac

After doing it both ways I'd suggest Pop Century and DO get a rental car. The bus service is slow and frustrating. With so many ECV's and wheel chairs, WDW's bus system gets really congested. If you are patient and money is an issue you can do without it, however, for that small amount more you will get more out of your vacation because you spend less time waiting for buses and more time in the parks.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

From the number of people I saw shopping over the holiday season, the economy is definitely picking up, so I wouldn't be surprised if the parks saw a lift in attendance in 2012. The offset to this lift would be Disney raising prices, so watch out for deals and snag them up before they disappear.

As for when the best time is to go to the parks, I had the best of luck with the crowds during the second week of the Food and Wine Festival. The longest I waited in line for a ride was two hours, and that was over at Universal. At WDW, I waited maybe a half hour to ride Peter Pan. But it was too cold to go to the water parks. If you want to hit the water parks, go late in the summer.

The one thing to look out for is the refurbishment list. If there is a ride you definitely want to go on, make sure that it's not being worked on when you arrive at the parks. Disney let a lot of things go during the recession, so now, they're trying to play catch up and clean stuff up.

As for places to stay, if you don't have a bad back and don't mine hard beds, then you might get some value out of the value resorts. Otherwise, I'd stick to either the Polynesian or the Wilderness Lodge, where the beds are still hard, but the perks offset it. The next best thing to staying on property with some perks and softer beds is the Swan and Dolphin.

My big suggestions:

1) rent a car (Disney's transportation is mediocre at best)
    2) make your meals reservations more than a month out
    3) pack an umbrella or a poncho (it didn't rain when I went, but I like to be prepared)
    4) buy a good pair of walking shoes (you'll walk a couple of miles a day and be on your feet a lot)

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by thedude76; 12-29-2011 at 08:49 PM. Reason: grammar; typos

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post

1) rent a car (Disney's transportation is mediocre at best)
    Why are people saying that the Bus is bad? Did i get extremely lucky? When i went in august it was the best bus service i had ever used, and completely free. Never more than a 15 min. wait for the bus, never longer than a 20 min. ride. (except 25 min. to typhoon lagoon) Always took you to the front, right up by the gates, closer anyone could get with a car. So why is the service considered bad and slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    It's much nicer to have a car to avoid long waits for transportation and crowded busses.
    I experienced none of these long waits and only had to stand on a bus that was full once, after the Magic Kingdom on the way back to the hotel.

Like i said was i just extremely lucky? Because to me it was easier than i can imagine a car being.

Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Personally I would rather take a bus, than take the trams.

But I would take a boat over a bus, and I would take a Monorail over a boat.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

I'm also one who greatly prefers not renting a car. For me, it's also a vacation from commuting. I do think the bus service seems to have declined in the last few years, but not to the point where I'd rather be driving myself.

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I'm also one who greatly prefers not renting a car. For me, it's also a vacation from commuting. I do think the bus service seems to have declined in the last few years, but not to the point where I'd rather be driving myself.
    For me 'commuting' involves waiting for and riding on.... buses. Personally, I think it's a sin that Disney failed at keeping the Monorail system current with today's needs, but what are you going to do? Driving your car for the run to Animal Kingdom, and then dealing with the trams there is a very viable alternative for many.

• Minion

I guess it depends on your personality and what you're used to. I loved not having to worry about a car when I was staying on property. The bus drivers couldn't have been nicer or more helpful (even calling out a special bus just for my party one night!) and I never had a long wait.

I guess the upshot is, if you're staying on property, you don't NEED a car but might or might not WANT one.

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post

Why are people saying that the Bus is bad? Did i get extremely lucky?
    I'm saying the bus is bad because I wasted so much time waiting for it my first few days before just using my rental exclusively. I had much better luck driving to the different parks then waiting around for a bus. I had a far better experience with the trams, which are pretty timely.

And the big kicker is that if you want to go to say DTD after leaving say AK, you have to transfer at a resort, so you lose almost two hours in travel time just to go to DTD. Let me know when this situation changes.

Finally, unless folks can talk their kids into not wanting to go to the Harry Potter stuff, then you're gonna need a car anyway, and they're generally cheaper to rent over a week than just a weekend.

Thank you very much this really helps. We plan on going to Universal since I am a big Harry Potter fan so I think a rental car may be needed.

---------- Post added 12-29-2011 at 05:32 PM ----------

Thank you all for the advice!! I can't wait to go..

May I suggest David's Vacation Club (Page Not Found It's a nice service and you'll probably save a few bucks on your hotel. But if you fell like saving even more you can cut the middle man (David) and just deal for points with someone directly (just make sure you use a contract).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast