Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

the state of wdw - is it really that bad?

After reading the news round up and the letter that al shared. My question is how bad has the resort gotten? Is it worth all this money im going to dish out to them and then feel let down at the end? It'll be my first trip to the resort in may and the picture that is being painted for me looks extremely grim.

Re: the state of wdw - is it really that bad?

The very fact that you're asking this question goes a long way to demonstrating the issue at hand, specifically, should I pay a premium price for less-than-premium levels of standards. And the 'stratification' based on what you're willing to pay doesn't necessarily help. Sure the concierges can help get itineraries worked out, but when the reuben at the GF is soggy b/c they don't bother to cook down the sauerkraut, does anything really make up for it?
    Last edited by mikelieman; 01-04-2012 at 12:32 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Here is my 2 cents.

Go, have fun loose yourself, then report back. I do not feel like I can give a completely objective answer, because I have visited the park so much that I notice everything.

The first time visitor, and casual return visitor, won't notice most of the nit picky stuff we talk about.

So go. Have fun, take lots of pictures and tell us what you think!

But also check out Universal while you are here! ;-)
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

I noticed a lot of things that needed work the last time I was there in June, and I'm still saving up for my next trip. It's not what it ought to be, but it's still worth going.

• Shubisha

I just read the letter from Al myself. Ride maintenance issues aside, what stuck out to me is how a majority of the letter addressed the parade-oriented crowd control, because I've been upset about WDW's crowd control approach since my very first visit. This is mostly true during the fireworks for me though.

It's hard for me to harp on them for their daytime approach because it's likely the best they can do with what's there. The fact is that in Frontierland they simply don't have any space along the route. It's overcrowded, it limits the parade itself because the route is too narrow to do several things you can do in other parks, and foot-travel for people trying to get around the park is hell. They added room to travel towards Splash Mountain but they really should spend money on clearing up the area by the riverboat landing. The fact is that because of the layout of the park the only crosswalk in that entire half of the parade is by the end of the parade route in front of splash mountain. The only other section to get to the other side of the park is to walk underneath the riverboat landing and then head through Fantasyland. The pathway behind parade viewing is too blocked off to even consider a crosswalk in front of the Adventureland archway next to the Diamond Horseshoe or the Country Bears.

The miles of tape that they lay down is pretty ridiculous though. In many places they put stanchion ropes down between the parade viewing area and the parade route and tape between the parade viewing area and the foot traffic behind it. This always seems backwards to me. People in the front of parade viewing are sitting 90% of the time and the stanchions do nothing to barricade them from the parade or sticking out in front of the imaginary line separating them from the route. And similarly stanchions better separate the people standing for the parade and a clear-cut "moving traffic only" path.

When nighttime falls and it's time for fireworks though, I think their crowd control plan is extremely flawed and does nothing but provoke guest outrage for both people trying to watch the fireworks and those trying to move around. One day I really want to do a full post on it with diagrams and everything.

I feel like your trip will be what you make of it. If you go in looking for the flaws and the disrepair, you're going to find them. And you won't be happy with your trip. But if you go in thinking you're going to have a good time and you do the things you want to do, you'll love it. Even standing in (some) lines can be fun and rewarding because Disney does certain things to immerse you in the atmosphere. And if something bad does happen, tell an employee and they will usually make it right. My little sister left her stuffed animal on the plane the first time we went (she was six) and when we told an employee, she opened the gift shop up for us and told my sister she could have anything she wanted.

I'll be completely honest with you since I'm not a huge Disney fan-boy, but I grew up going to WDW world every other year as a kid.

When I returned to WDW in 2010, I was blown away by how run down the parks looked. Now, I have been a west coaster for the last ten years, so maybe Disneyland has tainted me. But as the letter writer experienced a big difference in quality between the two park, I experienced similar problems.

I will be returning to Disneyland this summer since I want to check out the new Carsland along with the new Star Tours and Little Mermaid ride. I'll be spending an extended weekend (3-4 days) in Anaheim. I can drive to DL/DCA in 6 hours.

However, I do plan to return to WDW after the Harry Potter expansion finishes up over at Universal. I'll be renting a car again. But instead of staying on property, I'll stay in a hotel nearby. I experienced awful service at the on property hotel I stayed at in 2010.

I'll probably spend more time over at Universal than at WDW the next time I visit, maybe 3 days at Universal and 2 days at WDW. Most of what WDW has to offer I can experience for far cheaper and have a far better experience at DL/DCA. The big exception is the food quality is significantly better at WDW than at DL/DCA. I now eat almost exclusively at either the hotels or DL's DTD.

I really, really hope WDW gets some love.

• Seasick

WDW is still a pleasure to visit, but I cannot disagree with the content of that letter.

Go and have fun, but don't miss Universal and other local attractions.

Even if you happen to hate the Disney Parks, unlikely as that is, Harry Potter is still worth making a trip to Orlando for.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I'm not going with a negative POV I truly am extremely excited for this trip.

I visit DLR at least 2-3 times a month and always notice the little things there. Certain things do bug me when they aren't up to the "Disney" par. It still doesn't ruin my visit. My concern I guess is why is the resort falling apart so to speak. I get that it's a massive operation, but with the rates that they're asking for a family vacation, where is all this money going to? I'm just going to answer my own question. It's lining the pockets of the higher ups. It really just is disappointing that they are so greedy.

To think of what Walt had visioned and what we have now. Greed is now running this one time great company instead of the kid like take on the world types like Walt. :/

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Here is my 2 cents.

Go, have fun loose yourself, then report back. I do not feel like I can give a completely objective answer, because I have visited the park so much that I notice everything.

The first time visitor, and casual return visitor, won't notice most of the nit picky stuff we talk about.

So go. Have fun, take lots of pictures and tell us what you think!

But also check out Universal while you are here! ;-)
    Well, I WAS going to respond but KingEric pretty much hit my thoughts exactly.

I will add that while I do find the faults glaring, inexcusable, and Definately not in keeping with the Disney Standard, I still go on a near weekly rate AND I still have fun.

Enjoyment is what you make of it. You can still enjoy the parks while wishing they improved from their current standard. The two are not mutually exclusive.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc View Post
    My concern I guess is why is the resort falling apart so to speak. I get that it's a massive operation, but with the rates that they're asking for a family vacation, where is all this money going to? I'm just going to answer my own question. It's lining the pockets of the higher ups. It really just is disappointing that they are so greedy.
    In addition to that, it seems like when they do spend money, they do it all bass-ackward on new bells and whistles like NextGen, instead of on keeping up what they've already got.

Hopefully one way or the other the honchos get the idea. I also think that if they continue to let rides and such go sooner or later a guest will eventually get hurt due to lack of up keep of attractions.

Ill put it this way:
    It's not Six Flags but it's not what it was before the 2000s.

• Indiana Scott

IMHO, no , it really isn't that bad. I can find little (again, just IMO) flaws but over all it's an extraordinary destination. Anytime I go to some other tourist attraction or resort I tend to measure it against Disney in general and they're never as good. So I say go and enjoy yourself without reservation.

With all the things that I keep finding to do for my May trip I'm pretty sure that the resort as a whole is remarkable.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast