MK's original intended Fantasyland dark rides

When Walt Disney World was being built, the Imagineers thought of not duplicating any of the original Disneyland dark rides in Fantasyland and instead create rides themed to an entirely different set of movies.

The original Disneyland dark rides were all classified by mood. In this case, the Snow White ride was scary, the Mr. Toad ride was crazy and the Peter Pan ride was beautiful. For WDW, the Imagineers tried to conjure rides that also echoed the moods of the original rides (scary, crazy, beautiful). In the case of Snow White, they thought of replacing it with a ride themed to Sleeping Beauty. Mr. Toad was intended to be replaced with a ride themed to Ichabod Crane (ironically, the second half of "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad"). And Peter Pan was considered to be replaced by Mary Poppins. But then, Roy Disney intervened and insisted that the Imagineers remain true to Walt's original thinking at Disneyland and retain that park's original rides. Thus, they were duplicated at Florida. However, the Imagineers did revise the rides themselves so they were not complete duplicates of the original rides.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about the original thoughts for the dark rides?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• WDW will always be home.

Re: MK's original intended Fantasyland dark rides

Quote Originally Posted by Disneylandfan85 View Post
    But then, Roy Disney intervened and insisted that the Imagineers remain true to Walt's original thinking at Disneyland and retain that park's original rides.
    While that may be true, the primary reason for reverting to the original attractions was budgetary - it would have theoretically been cheaper to duplicate the same attractions. Of course, the Imagineers weren't happy with that idea and embellished them - particularly in the case of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. The end result was that the improved "originals" ended up costing about the same as was projected for the new attractions.

Like many other abandoned projects in the annals of Disney history, it would have been fun to see what could have been. But I think I'm more upset that the best version of Toad was removed for Pooh than that the originally planned attractions were never built.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

I would have loved if they would have built all of those along with the current line up. I constantly feel that we are missing dark rides at WDW.

I believe that when Disney opens up an E-Ticket it should also debut with two smaller attractions (exactly like what they are doing with Carsland).
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post

Like many other abandoned projects in the annals of Disney history, it would have been fun to see what could have been. But I think I'm more upset that the best version of Toad was removed for Pooh than that the originally planned attractions were never built.
    If I had to pick between two dark rides from DL's Fantasyland that I would've wanted for Orlando it would have to be Peter Pan and Mr. Toad since those two rides have a uniqueness factor that differentiates them from the other FL dark rides. (Though it would've been interesting to see their original take on a Mary Poppins ride.) The other dark rides they could've done to any film and I would've been cool with it. (TLM I still want for WDW though.) Dark rides are a Fantasyland staple and I really wish our FL had more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I believe that when Disney opens up an E-Ticket it should also debut with two smaller attractions (exactly like what they are doing with Carsland).
    I like the idea but I would tread with caution. I dread the idea of getting any smaller attractions in the future with a sort of generic like quality to them. The smaller kid friendly attractions need just as much thought put into them like the E tickets or otherwise you get things like A Bug's Land or Toy Story Playland.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

So if thats the case Iehabod>scary Sleeping beauty>Beautiful and Marty poppins>crazy i wonder if there was concept art before roy hit the breaks to this idea.

• Minion

^ The OP said Sleeping Beauty=scary Ichabod=crazy and Mary Poppins=Beautiful. Your line up is better tho

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    ^ The OP said Sleeping Beauty=scary Ichabod=crazy and Mary Poppins=Beautiful. Your line up is better tho
    LOL and i thought it was obvious

I think i can see the reasoning now switching out snow white to sleeping beautys scary adventure with maleficent for the scary parts and mary poppins flying over london like peter pan or sleepy hollow being fast paced like toad. So new themes but similar maybe thats what the imagineers had in mind.

• Lurker No More!

I wish we had an Alice in Wonderland dark ride here. I so love that DL version.
    ABOMIBOT
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Personal Site ABOMIBOT.com | Professional Site Playhead.com | Follow My Tweets
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I remember hearing something about originally in Adventureland they were going to have a ride based on The Jungle Book. That would have been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I remember hearing something about originally in Adventureland they were going to have a ride based on The Jungle Book. That would have been awesome.
    I don't remember hearing anything about that for Florida. Maybe you're thinking of France?
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

As for those never-built concept dark rides, it's not too late, Shanghai
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails