Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Holy cow, WDW's Magic Kingdom is Horrible! (Compared to Disneyland Park)

WDW Bathrooms are no longer that clean... Custodial has quite a few problems keeping up with the crowds.

Disneyland is so superior to the Magic Kingdom it's not even funny.

But to me honest I love WDW so much more than the DLR. The water parks, boats, Monorails that actually get you somewhere, Adventurer's club, World Showcase etc.

I still love Disneyland and in some ways DCA (although not as much since they've taken out Millionaire and Soap Opera Bistro), but I could never stay at the DLR for a week like I could at WDW.

But on topic, I don't really plan to visit the MK at all next trip to WDW. It's just so run down and non-magical.

• Vehicle rotating backward

Something I want to mention is that if you think the people at MK don't care, check out how much better the MK's Halloween event was compared to DLR's. Sure, DL's got shafted out to DCA so that it didn't interfere with the 50th, but they knew that well in advance and they still had the weakest showing out of all the destinations. And they marketed it to locals, who are known to be more finicky.

DL wins on Christmas, of course, but that's because WDW spreads everything around their parks while DLR gives DCA a guy in a Santa beard and a hawaiian shirt, and DL really gets it's halls decked with two attraction makeovers and decorations all over.

I still think there are legitimate reasons that the WDW resort as a whole is sliding in quality, such as the dirty hotel rooms that WDW1974 and I chatted about, as well as dirty restrooms. But none of that is exclusive to MK. If there is a management decision to cut custodial work on the bathrooms, that's happening all over.

• Banned User

Agreed with your last paragraph. Just yesterday, a custodial cm at the MK was telling me how cheap management is... while the overworked ticket taker at the entrance was mentioning how management do not care about guests quality.. When we hear CMs publicly denouncing management for their lack of concern about quality... it's time for them to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Something I want to mention is that if you think the people at MK don't care, check out how much better the MK's Halloween event was compared to DLR's. Sure, DL's got shafted out to DCA so that it didn't interfere with the 50th, but they knew that well in advance and they still had the weakest showing out of all the destinations. And they marketed it to locals, who are known to be more finicky.
    Well, to be fair, DL gave up on Halloween years ago, opting to become the Merriest Place on Earth very early.

But even WDW, which does put in a SUPER event in MNSSHP, wasn't always on the ball in this department. Only in the last 2-3 years has the event grown to be offered on 10-15 nights. For years it was just a two-night event. That's it.

With all the extra $$$ they are making, Disney is investing it back in things like the new Hallowishes fireworks and the new Boo To You Parade.

Matt Ouimet is smart. I'd bet you'll see a bigger, better event next year and even better in 2007.

DL wins on Christmas, of course, but that's because WDW spreads everything around their parks while DLR gives DCA a guy in a Santa beard and a hawaiian shirt, and DL really gets it's halls decked with two attraction makeovers and decorations all over.

I still think there are legitimate reasons that the WDW resort as a whole is sliding in quality, such as the dirty hotel rooms that WDW1974 and I chatted about, as well as dirty restrooms. But none of that is exclusive to MK. If there is a management decision to cut custodial work on the bathrooms, that's happening all over.
    And this is simply unacceptable. I now regularly see not just dirty, but filthy restrooms at WDW. Often with broken toilets, sinks, soap dispensers ... I even see grafitti on walls (something that would be removed IMMEDIATELY in the past). This is a major issue whether the Disney apologists admit it or not.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    ... it's time for them to go.
    The managers or CMs? Because frankly I feel no matter how much work sucks it really isn't the guests fault so they don't need to hear about how bad one CM finds things. I think the CM needn't be saying what they were.

• Banned User

Current management needs to go. Concidering the MK charges the most for a day over all other DL's, it should be able to offer the very best experience, but it's the total opposite in my opinion. BTW... it is amazing how much info and opinions the current crop of CMs are willing to share with you when you reveal yourself as a former WDW CM....

As for the Halloween event comment higher up... hoop-dee-doo. TDL has a bigger Halloween *AND* Christmas event for the regular paying guests...not to mention the extensive lineup coming up in 2006... Cinderellabration/Lights of Romance, Princess Days, Lilo & Stitch summer event... all for regular prices which are currently around $51 per ONE DAY ticket, as opposed to the MK's $62, and a clean park as an added bonus. Imagine that!

^^^I'm trying to imagine ... trying ... I do hope to get there next fall, but DLP is a definite in the spring!

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Disney taught me to expect the best from the company.

I still do ... and boy does it piss off some apologists.
    I've read the entire thread, and this was one of the more profound statements made.

Let me first state that I have not visited DL, but we are planning to. At WDW, I've noticed how the overall cleanliness of the parks and resorts has fallen over the past 8 years. I've been a visitor since 1976 or so, but haven't noticed things like that since I became a 'regular' visitor, usually 1 trip per year, but lately it's been 2 per (which will NOT continue... it's getting to be too expensive to get there and eat there to be able to do it more than annually). Light bulbs are burned out and not promptly replaced. Trash is strewn about the hotels, as well as after parades at MK. This is not the Disney I grew up knowing and experiencing.

I expect Disney to meet and/or exceed the standard which it created. And I've seen how that standard has fallen over the past several years. I don't see it reversing itself anytime soon, without a change in management.

The impression I get is that there are a great number of CM's who do care, and an equal number that don't. Without a CM crew that cares all day, every day, and management to match, the experience won't get better.

As for attractions.... MK needs something new to shake things up, as does MGM (LMA doesn't cut it, sorry), and AK needs more than Everest to make it a full-day park, or even a park worth visiting more than once every couple of years. Epcot could use some work, UOE specifically needs an entirely new show, but it's a park I can usually spend a decent amount of time in.

• ROFLCOPTER

Quote Originally Posted by millionairegirl
    But on topic, I don't really plan to visit the MK at all next trip to WDW. It's just so run down and non-magical.
    Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are so diffrent. MK is not that rundown comapred to, say, a Six Flags park or a smaller Theme Park. Sure, its not as clean as it used to be, but Magic Kingdom is still a very good park.
    Go Bengals.

WDW>DL

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Goofy
    Disneyland and Magic Kingdom are so diffrent. MK is not that rundown comapred to, say, a Six Flags park or a smaller Theme Park. Sure, its not as clean as it used to be, but Magic Kingdom is still a very good park.
    So the MK isn't at a Six Flags level and that's a good thing?

WDW used to have no peers when it came to cleanliness, quality and guest satisfaction. Now, we're supposed to be happy it's not as 'rundown' as a Six Flags?!?!

I'm trying very hard not to be insulting here, but feelings like you expressed are exactly the reason why the idiots at Team Disney Orlando feel they can cut into the quality even further. That's pathetic.

And I'll keep going after Disney when they allow standards to drop because sadly there are too many folks like you who would love to visit WaltMart.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedPirate
    I've been a visitor since 1976 or so, but haven't noticed things like that since I became a 'regular' visitor

You just kind of proved KevinYee's point a few pages back.

WDW1974 has brought up some points in previous threads about the whole resort going downhill although in this thread there's been less good points and more smarther-than-thou stroking about how if we don't agree with him on it all, we're clueless sheep who like McDonald's and don't recognize the quality of a steak served to us by Emeril or some such.

Although as a non-visitor thus far I recognize that I can't speak with any kind of authority on the subject so I don't, but it's hard to deny how difficult it is to debate the quality of something with someone who insists that they are a better judge of quality than you.

Personally, I've noticed that it's the people who see the place often who begin feeling that something is missing while most Once Ever (x) Years folks like myself need something major to happen (like an obvious mechanical failure in an attraction) to feel more than passively impacted by it. Familiarity breeds contempt. Maybe Disney needs to go back to making it nigh-impossible for people who aren't employees and aren't very wealthy to be able to visit the parks regularly.

• Disney Memory Maker

in this thread there's been less good points and more smarther-than-thou stroking about how if we don't agree with him on it all, we're clueless sheep who like McDonald's and don't recognize the quality of a steak served to us by Emeril or some such.

it's hard to deny how difficult it is to debate the quality of something with someone who insists that they are a better judge of quality than you.
    I have to agree with that whole quote.

Personally, I've noticed that it's the people who see the place often who begin feeling that something is missing
    Exactly. To use an analogy, let's take two people who are identical twins. Both love Christmas music. However, Twin A listens to it every day & Twin B only listens to it during the Christmas season. 10 years pass. More likely than not, Twin B will still love the music as much as they did 10 years ago. Twin A on the otherhand will likely find it less exciting, magical and woderous as it was 10 years ago. So it is my opinion that the more spend time doing something, the less precious it's going to be. And there you go...the philosphy of Askmike1.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

I'm done with this thread, btw. I leave you all by posting these excerpts of a fake, humorous news item from The Onion which I think kind of sums up the whole thing. Look for the parts in bold:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38894

Disney Family Vacation Ruined By Walt Disney Company

The site of the vacation ruined for the Mahaffeys (inset) by Disney.

ORLANDO, FL–A magical Walt Disney World family vacation was ruined last weekend by the stringent policies and protocol of the Walt Disney Company.

"They call Disney World 'The Happiest Place On Earth,' but being there was oddly stressful and upsetting," said David Mahaffey, 36, a Dover, DE, insurance-claims adjuster who, along with his wife and two children, endured a four-day visit to the Orlando theme park. "Why did Disney have to ruin the Disney magic for everyone?"

(...)

"There was a lot of gorgeous greenery, but most of it was roped off," said Amy Mahaffey, 34. "You could only leave the path if you wanted to go into a shop or café. It made me imagine some behind-the-scenes pencil pusher wanting to save the company a few bucks on sod and petunias, or to ward off potential injury lawsuits. I wanted to be a kid again, but I might as well have stayed at work."

(...)

The Mahaffeys were reluctant to return to the park on the second day, but they decided to soldier on, determined not to waste the $832 they'd spent on four $208 "Park Hopper" four-day passes.

(...)

Reflecting on their vacation upon returning home Tuesday, the Mahaffeys said they wished the Walt Disney Company's definition of fun had been more consistent with their own.
    Last edited by MickeyMania; 12-23-2005 at 05:34 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Goofy
    Reason why I urge everyone to visit TDL. It's still cleaned and maintained the way the MK and DL used to be in up until the late 80s (meaning pristine clean) while getting the feeling of still being at the MK, with the best from DL thrown into it. Can't beat that.

As for the Siz-Flags comment up above... I disgree...sorta. Busch Gardens Tampa and Sea World Orlando (both operated by Anheiser-Busch) are at the moment the cleanest theme parks there are. A true achievement for a non-Disney park and a slap on the face to Walt's mandate that "his park would never be dirty". If they cared to try at WDW, they'd get it done, but sadly...they don't. Custodial CMs have told me so when I am at the park... phantom shopping.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast