Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: Holy cow, WDW's Magic Kingdom is Horrible! (Compared to Disneyland Park)

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Maybe you should go on a quality-control walk with myself and/or TDLFAN, you might be surprised at what you find that was right in front of you all the time.
    That is a really good highlight for me to make my point off of. Yes, if I went on a quality control walk, either with you guys or by myself, then absolutely yes, I'm gonna find things wrong with the MK (and probably with DL park, too). And yes, there are probably more things wrong today than there were 20 or 30 years ago. But my point is that there are not nearly enough things wrong in the MK to trigger my radar when I'm on vacation. I guess if you had to put numbers to it, with 10 being a perfect MK, the park might be at an 8 now. It'd have to get down to a 6 or a 5 to really seriously impact my enjoyment of my vacation.

I'm all for improvement, I'm all for reaching that mythical 10 in quality and perfection. I realize that the current MK is at a level less than that. But we differ in how much of an impact that has on the average guest. And no, it's not because people are sheep, or tourists are morons, or the average visitor just doesn't care. It's because the place really isn't that bad (which as I read over that sentence is kind of a lame thing to say about a Disney park!). I think you and TDLFAN and the other super critics are crying wolf, and after seeing the current state with my own eyes I just can't see it.

• Disney Memory Maker

And no, it's not because people are sheep, or tourists are morons, or the average visitor just doesn't care. It's because the place really isn't that bad (which as I read over that sentence is kind of a lame thing to say about a Disney park!). I think you and TDLFAN and the other super critics are crying wolf, and after seeing the current state with my own eyes I just can't see it.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to danyoung again.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Disneyland has been reaching capacity every since may, so no it's not understaffing.. Go to the park sometime, and see if you can get in to see the crowds... I don't know what the people who said it was understaffing are on, but there incorrect!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Read Al's columns on the subject. The Cynthia era TDA policies were crazy. You could literally blow off shifts for days at a time before you'd even get a first warning.

<<I have read Al's columns on this, and if I remember correctly, he basically ripped apart the new system (as most people are doing).>>

I don't remember seeing Al rip it at all. He may not like the fact some areas are understaffed, but he's been quite adament about DL going back to way things used to be run, when you couldn't just blow off work without so much as a phone call for days on in with absolutely zero repercussions.

Quote:
    But no, DL has not closed recently because of staffing, but because of the huge crowds.
    <<Are you sure about that. I seem to remember someone (maybe forum members or Al) saying that Disneyland closed in large part due to staffing. Less staff=lower park capacity.>>

I'm quite sure. DL has been (temporarily) closed due to capacity, but that's just for the huge crowds the 50th Anniversary coupled with the holidays have brought. I was there last Sunday and it was bad, but I've seen it much worse.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Thanks, Mikey. Now, about that dancing chicken . . .

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    That is a really good highlight for me to make my point off of. Yes, if I went on a quality control walk, either with you guys or by myself, then absolutely yes, I'm gonna find things wrong with the MK (and probably with DL park, too). And yes, there are probably more things wrong today than there were 20 or 30 years ago. But my point is that there are not nearly enough things wrong in the MK to trigger my radar when I'm on vacation. I guess if you had to put numbers to it, with 10 being a perfect MK, the park might be at an 8 now. It'd have to get down to a 6 or a 5 to really seriously impact my enjoyment of my vacation.
    That's fair enough. But I think you misunderstand me if you think these things ruin my visits. I can't recall the last 'bad' Disney trip I had and -- rest assured -- it was likely due to the people I was traveling with, the weather or other guests. The only truly bad experiences I've ever left Disney with have involved some bad CMs.

Having the logs reek of Splash Mountain or the audio not working on Mansion or the pavement all cracked and dirty isn't going to ruin a vacation. I just take note of it and move on.

Do you actually think I'd visit WDW or DL as much as I do if I didn't love the places?

That said, I think I can notice when poor managment is reflected in shops closed on Main Street (or all selling pins, Pooh, princesses and plush), shorter hours (this has largely been rectified in Florida except at Epcot), lower quality at restaurants (remember the Tostitos at San Angel Inn? that did kind of set the tone for a lousy meal.), slovenly, uninformed, uncaring CMs, attractions that have effects not working, etc ...

I don't know what to rank where on that 1-10 scale. I mean, 10 is perfect. Nothing is. But for years DL and the MK and EPCOT Center were damn close. Now? My expectations have changed along with the Disney product. I guess they've been lowered some. So I can still give Epcot an 8 or 9 despite the fact it isn't nearly the park it was in the 1980s. DAK gets a 9 because it started wonderfully and is improving. DL gets a 9 because it is great and is being plussed by a management team that seems to truly care about quality and the guest experience.

Now with the MK it gets tricky. There's no way it's on par with the others listed above, but it still is a great place to visit. But if I use your rankings, I'd likely only give it a 7 and that's largely for nostlagia reasons. The only quality additions in years are PhilharMagic and Wishes ... that's just not much. I can point out many more losses/negatives.

DCA gets a 7 from me. It's weak in some areas of theming and needs 2-3 immersive Disney experiences, but I can have a great day there. I also see improvement in every area except food and beverage.

That leaves the Disney-MGM Studios, which to me are the weakest part of the USA Disney park empire. I have a PAP and often go a year without visiting and then it's only to ride GMR, ToT and RnRC and eat at BRown Derby. I recently saw Fantasmic for the first time in years and enjoyed it more than I had before. Still, the park is a mess. There's no way it gets more than a 5 or 6 from me. I also notice this park consistently has the dirtiest bathrooms on WDW property.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    I'm all for improvement, I'm all for reaching that mythical 10 in quality and perfection. I realize that the current MK is at a level less than that. But we differ in how much of an impact that has on the average guest. And no, it's not because people are sheep, or tourists are morons, or the average visitor just doesn't care. It's because the place really isn't that bad (which as I read over that sentence is kind of a lame thing to say about a Disney park!). I think you and TDLFAN and the other super critics are crying wolf, and after seeing the current state with my own eyes I just can't see it.
    I don't think we differ on how that impacts the average guest at all. I think it barely registers to a lot of them on a conscious level. And, this is my opinion of people in general not WDW guests specifically, but people are sheep, tourists usually leave their brains at home and the average visitor just wants to see and do as much as they can (what else explains people spending $400 a night to stay at the Poly and never using the pool or dining there? -- as an example).

But I strongly disagree with your point about people (at least people who go on somewhat regular basis) not noticing things. I posted this anecdote on another place a while back, but it illustrates my point perfectly even though it's about a Disney resort, not a park.

(I'll try not to bore you because I know you have a short attention span.)

In October of 2000, I got the first (but unfortunately not the last) WDW resort room that was uninhabitable by my standards. It was at the CBR, right when they were just starting massive renovations, and it was my first visit to that resort in almost five years. The room was filthy, had mold all over the bathroom, puddles under the AC, torn comforters and some mystery substance on the walls. I went back to the front desk, politely informed the CM and her lead that the room wasn't acceptable if they gave it away for free and that it immediately needed work. I was put in a new room ...mmmm ....fresh paint, clean carpeting. The CMs weren't particularly sympathetic other than saying they knew the rooms were in 'rough shape' and hence the renovations. I then went to have lunch in the food court only to find that all the choices that were once there had been taken away and replaced with a lot of pre-made, microwaved crap. The food court was also dirty with two disinterested CMs trying to look like they were cleaning. While they were moving my luggage to the new room, I thought I'd visit Parrot Island and see the birds to relax and get back into vacation mode. When I got there there were no tropical birds and the island boardwalks were in disrepair, the flowers and trees all wild.

Finally in frustration, I mentioned to my traveling companion that "it doesn't matter, no one notices, they're all high on pixie dust and Disney marketing.''

That's when I heard an elderly woman behind me say, "You're wrong. We do notice. We've been coming here every two years since the resort opened in 1989 and we won't be back after this one. The last two trips we kept feeling that things weren't quite right and this one has been full of problems. We see the same in the parks. There's nothing new. We're not coming back."

People do notice, Dan. Not all of them. Maybe not most of them. Sometimes they don't even realize it until the time comes for the next trip and they decide they'd rather visit elsewhere. But people notice.

I also am in no way a 'super critic' or for that matter is TDLFAN. I'm actually quite laid back, especially when at WDW. So this idea that I'm looking for things to complain about bothers me because it's like you're trying to negate my arguments by making them about me.

I'm not the issue.

WoL will still be shuttered whether I post about it or not. Every MK shop will sell the same crap whether I write about it or not. The logs on Splash will still reek, the Mansion audio won't work, the AA's on CBJ won't quite be 'right' and the Buzz Lightyear vehicles wil look filthy whether I post about them or not. The MK will still have a lousy four-year-old parade whether I say it sucks here. Epcot will still close nightly at 9 whether or not I tell you it didn't use to be that way. MGM will still have a giant hat towering at the end of Hollywood Blvd offering 10 cent pins for $12.95, even if I never utter another word against it. Disney will still think it's OK to replace an E-Ticket attraction with a McDonald's playground whether I'm here or dead and buried.

Do you get the point?

I'm not the issue.

I don't create the things I see. I just post my opinions on them.

And I want my rolls and apple butter back at the Liberty Tree Tavern and the manager there fired!
    Last edited by WDW1974; 12-17-2005 at 11:59 AM.

I don't do the reputation thing. I've never left any positive or negative for anyone.

If I did, rest assured, you and Danny would get a lot of positive rep from me even though you are both wrong 94.3% of the time (I figured it out with a calculator).

I barely have time to read and post here. And the whole rep thing makes me feel like it's a popularity contest, which I don't like.

Anyway, keep up the good work ... and did I tell you I'm going to DLP in 2006?

• Disney Memory Maker

even though you are both wrong 94.3% of the time (I figured it out with a calculator).
    I think you had the wrong decimal place. It really should read .943%
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote:
    I don't remember seeing Al rip it at all. He may not like the fact some areas are understaffed, but he's been quite adament about DL going back to way things used to be run, when you couldn't just blow off work without so much as a phone call for days on in with absolutely zero repercussions.

I'm quite sure. DL has been (temporarily) closed due to capacity, but that's just for the huge crowds the 50th Anniversary coupled with the holidays have brought. I was there last Sunday and it was bad, but I've seen it much worse.
    Let me quote a bit from Al's article Last Week
    Christmas Wish: More CM's
    The Christmas season is well underway, and Disneyland has already had to close its entry turnstiles to arriving day visitors a few times in the last few weeks due to overcrowding (even with a 5,000 bump up in attendance capacity limits thanks to more open attractions and the elimination of a few FastPass queues). While the record holiday crowds descend on a park that is setting a new standard of sheer frenzy for the 50th anniversary Christmas season, there are some very troubling signs now that the ongoing shortage of hourly Cast Members is about to reach crisis level and will be directly impacting the customer experience in the busy month ahead.

The problems behind the growing shortage of hourly Cast Members (CM's) have been discussed here before, and none of the underlying issues have changed since we began reporting on it. If anything, all of those contributing factors have only worsened in the last thirty days. The crackdown on poor attendance, ridiculously christened "Presenteeism" by Team Disney Anaheim's (TDA's) notoriously out of touch Human Resources department, has continued and Cast Members who are tardy or missing too often keep getting shown the door in record numbers. The Human Resources folks expected a big chunk of CM's to quickly lose their jobs in the first sixty days of Presenteeism when it was rolled out last June.

The conventional wisdom in TDA was that by the Fall they would "change the culture" and the rapid rate of terminations would stabilize and decrease by the end of the year. Nothing could be farther from the truth, as CM's continue to lose their jobs for being chronically late or absent, often within the first forty-five to ninety days of their employment with Disneyland. In response, and partly after prodding by some of the Union leaders representing most of the hourly CM's, the Human Resources department has steadily been shifting the rules around and backtracking on their hard core policy they originally implemented in June. While the few extra grace periods and safety nets they've installed back into the attendance policy has helped slow the rate of terminations just a bit, it's still reducing the numbers of hourly CM's faster than the Casting Department can hire in the replacements.

And out at the Casting Center in TDA, the supply of job applicants coming through the doors in the last month has been far below projections, and the overall caliber of those applicants is rarely anything to be happy about. While there are certainly a few top notch kids coming in to fulfill their dream of working at Disneyland, all of the advertising and desperate pleas for applicants has brought in a huge increase in people who simply want to work a second or third job for the Holidays. These types of folks don't care about pixie dust or some dead guy named Walt, and they roll their eyes at all of the little rules and regulations Disney still tries to hold their CM's to that most other employers gave up on years ago. Some who are hired aren't even bothering to show up for their on the job training after they spend their first day in the eight hour long "Traditions" orientation class, where Disney sets all of the high expectations of their front line CM's.

The combination of Presenteeism and the utter failure of Casting to fill the growing deficit of open positions, now estimated to be in the 3,000+ range, means that the service being offered to the paying customers out in the Parks is beginning to slip noticeably. This past week, historically one of the biggest shopping weeks of the year and a time when Disneyland was expecting huge crowds and was open until Midnight for nine straight days, the Stores department had to come up with a contingency plan to shut down many of the smaller stores around the Resort.

The simple fact is that the Stores department is so short staffed that they simply no longer have the manpower to staff a single cash register in many of the smaller locations. The response was to create a contingency plan where over a dozen smaller stores would be closed for the day, in order to shift CM's to the larger locations. Stores like the Briar Patch in Critter Country and the Fantasy Faire Gifts souvenir stand in Fantasyland, locations that usually just use two or three CM's at a time, were planned to be shut down as staffing ebbed and waned. Luckily, with the use of salaried help from TDA to help stock shelves and work in backrooms, almost all of those locations were able to open for at least a few hours each day. However, by late afternoon many of the locations on the contingency plan were closed four to six hours earlier than planned.

But the real trouble started when the Foods department, who has been short staffed for so long now some CM's don't even remember what it was like to have adequate staffing, also started closing some of their locations early. The managers in Foods and the managers in Stores weren't coordinating their closures, and there were instances where a Disneyland visitor could walk along in the early evening and encounter a closed shop, followed by a closed restaurant, followed by another closed shop. In the days leading up to Thanksgiving some sections of the park were running the risk of looking barely open, while upwards of 50,000 people showed up each day during a very busy week. After a few days senior management got wind of the spotty service and quickly instituted a communication strategy to try and prevent two adjacent park facilities from closing early at the same time.

You know it's bad when Disneyland has to give up on sales during one of the busiest weekends of the year right in the middle of the Company's massive 50th marketing campaign. And since most of the 50th merchandise has been moving off the shelves in record numbers and sales targets have been blown out of the water since early May, this was a bitter pill to swallow.

And all of these staffing headaches are hitting in late November! There are still some extremely busy weekends ahead, plenty of weekdays that are running up to forty-percent higher attendance than years past, plus the two peak weeks of Christmas and New Year's when Disneyland historically sees its busiest days of the year and often has to close the turnstiles day after day. Stores and Foods have fine tuned their contingency plans for closing stores and restaurants if staffing stays tight.

While the Attractions department was able to avoid closing any rides this past week through the use of massive amounts of overtime, the Attractions managers have also quietly created their own contingency plan and a short list of rides and attractions that would be shut down in order to keep the bigger and more popular rides running this December. Some rides like the Canoes, the Main Street vehicles or the less popular Fantasyland dark rides would be shut down for the day entirely, while other rides like Autopia, Storybookland or Jungle Cruise would start cutting back on their capacity and run fewer vehicles to move labor around and keep the E Tickets fully staffed. It really is that serious dear readers.
    Wow, he's really praising the new system, isn't he?

-Michael

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Evan-500
    Disneyland has been reaching capacity every since may, so no it's not understaffing.. Go to the park sometime, and see if you can get in to see the crowds... I don't know what the people who said it was understaffing are on, but there incorrect!
    That was askmike1 blaming the jamming on lack of CMs. I was the one who said that the lack of CMs are the reason why every worker that WDW1974 interacts with at DL seems to really have the Disney spirit. The people who truly love DL are the only people who would do what they're being asked to do for how much they're being paid right now. Any typical worker without a deep-seated connection to the place would laugh in their face and say "you're paying me HOW MUCH?" after Traditions.

Let me quote a bit from Al's article Last Week

Wow, he's really praising the new system, isn't he?

-Michael
    Thanks, Mike.

I stand corrected.

Although whether AL likes the system or not is a moot point to me. You need to have quality CMs who care about their jobs -- or are great at faking it -- and are not going to just blow off work when they feel like sleeping in, going to see King Kong or doing some holiday shopping.

Of course, if DL raised its minium wage to say $10 an hour (what you can get working at a burger joint in SoCal), they might get a better breed of worker.

Still, I was there last weekend and saw no staffing related problems. As a matter of fact, I saw smaller shops in New Orleans Square opened at 11 p.m. when I often see them closed during the day.

I will be at DL again Christmas week, so I'll let you know what I see.

FWIW, I've called Pop Century and Port Orleans French Quarter each once to ask questions to the CM answering phones, and both people were bowl-you-over cheerful, even at nighttime Eastern hours, than people I've talked to at the company's travel agency or anyone at numerous Disney Stores. Maybe these people were just exemplary CMs, but they did make an impact. I hung up from the POFQ conversation thinking "Wow, she said 'have a magical day' like she really meant it and wasn't just reading a prompter."

We shall see where things stand when I meet folks in person. I'm not good at spotting fading paint, but I'm much better at reading people.

• Banned User

Hmmm...

I think you're missing the point on why Disneyland Park is better than WDW's Magic Kingdom Park...

I'm not just pointing out the painting and the chips in the sidewalks. I'm pointing out how much more Disneyland Park has to offer. It has about twice as many attractions as the Magic Kingdom Park in Walt Disney World. Twice as many. That's not a small number. And Disneyland Park's one day admission price is cheaper than that of Walt Disney Worlds... and when you adjust that to California prices, it's a bargan.

Perhaps it stays down because Disneyland Park's admission price must be the same as DCA's price, and DCA can be done in only a few hours.

Disneyland is amazing. The theming is better on most attractions, there's more to do, and even when it's insanely crowded, they are much better than crowd control at WDW's Magic Kingdom. Turning the hub into a traffic circle is genius. But then, Disneyland learned how to do crowd control ever since Fantasmic! appeared. They have it down to a science. At WDW... Well, it's a little harder to move around when it gets crowded, even with the larger paths. Superior versions of almost every attraction at WDW can be found at Disneyland Park. The shops have a tad more variety. And the seasonal overlays of attractions are just amazing. Disneyland has more magic.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    FWIW, I've called Pop Century and Port Orleans French Quarter each once to ask questions to the CM answering phones, and both people were bowl-you-over cheerful, even at nighttime Eastern hours, than people I've talked to at the company's travel agency or anyone at numerous Disney Stores. Maybe these people were just exemplary CMs, but they did make an impact. I hung up from the POFQ conversation thinking "Wow, she said 'have a magical day' like she really meant it and wasn't just reading a prompter."

We shall see where things stand when I meet folks in person. I'm not good at spotting fading paint, but I'm much better at reading people.
    Wait till you get your bill.

My advice... the Walt Disney World Resort is notorious for overcharging on rooms by mistake. I think it's an error in their computer program. Be sure to go over your bill many times before you check out. For the last ten times we've stayed at a WDW resort, eight of them have had the wrong price on the room or something was charged twice or something totally wrong. Be very careful.

Perhaps, but they're all slowly becoming the same thing. You'll see that if you Park Hopper that WDW ticket.

DL has Star Tours, it's not that WDW doesn't, it's that it's in MGM instead of MK.
    DL has Indy. That's nice, and WDW put a different spin on it and put it in AK instead of the MK. IMO, that works out nicely since it leaves the visitor with two unique experiences to go enjoy.
    DL has Innoventions. MK doesn't, and should be thankful for that, but EPCOT does.
    DL has two boats going around the Rivers of America, WDW has one. It's still the same trip around the river either way, but DL counts it as two attractions just because they can. This is also the same reason why Casey Jr and Storybook Boats are two attractions even though they travel around the same thing.

Basically, DL has tried to integrate stuff from greater WDW, as best as it can, within the theme of DL, with mixed results. DCA is so desperate for attendance that it's allowed a lot of things people would go to Orlando for to come to Cali, for instance:

TOT suddently comes to CA from the Studios.
    Muppets 4D suddently comes to CA from the Studios.
    The Animation Building is essentially an import of the Animation feature at the Studios.
    "Honey, I Shrunk..." comes to DL from one of the WDW parks (I forget which.)
    Turtle Talk comes to CA from EPCOT.

What do we give in exchange?

EPCOT gets Soarin' from DCA.

Basically, DL and DCA are loading up on WDW stuff that you guys have enjoyed for the past 17 years or so because we have the need and, suddently with the resort's expansion, we have the room. What will always keep the parks special are rides that are unique or special, whether designed that way or just happen to be that way because of circumstances.

For instance:
    DL has Matterhorn, WDW now has Everest but they're very different.
    Due to eliminations, DL has Mr Toad and WDW doesn't, but WDW has Country Bears and DL doesn't.
    WDW doesn't have the Pinocchio dark ride but DL doesn't have Philharmagic, either.

I do have to admit all these WDW imports makes the case to going to DL a lot stronger now, though. Previously, there was no comparison as to what I could do more at, but nowadays a lot of the stuff that made me wish I could travel to Orlando are now here in Xeroxed form.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast