Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Holy cow, WDW's Magic Kingdom is Horrible! (Compared to Disneyland Park)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Ah yes, I just got back from Disneyland Park. That park has changed completely since Matt took over. It has been five years since I've been, and I'd forgotten how amazing the place is. Or maybe it's just more amazing now since they cleaned up everything for the 50th. Disneyland Park puts the Magic Kingdom Park to shame.
    Bill...is it too late for me to remind you.... "I told you so"??? *AND*... wait until you visit TDL...

• Banned User

Hey TDLfan... I've been to Disneyland about three times before this time. So, I did know what to expect. But I didn't expect the quality to have gone so far up in only a few years. Though, I guess it's five years since I've been, so I missed a lot. But it's funny how over time you start to forget how amazing Disneyland Park is compared to the MK.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    But it is fair to compare a 50 year old park with a 34 year old one? A park that had 16 extra years of growth? A park that had the whole resort to itself for 40-somewhat years compared to the other, who only had the resort to itself for less than 10 years?
    -Michael
    Yes, it's very fair. Go to Tokyo Disney. Even if TDL didn't have the high budgets like they do, it's safe to assume that time isn't as important as you think it is.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Yes, it's very fair. Go to Tokyo Disney. Even if TDL didn't have the high budgets like they do, it's safe to assume that time isn't as important as you think it is.
    Okay, then it is entirely fair to compare WDW resort to DL resort.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso11
    No, thats definitly not her. But I'm going to pass your coment directly to her because I agree with what your saying and hopefully she can make the change.
    Thanks again.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses them.

And it may be a little thing, but the thing that ALWAYS set Disney apart from everyone else was they got all the details and then some.

I can tell when management changes at various Disney dining locations (from quick serve to fine dining) because either the quality goes up/stays high or drops ... a lot.

My next two foodie pet peeves ... Tostitos and jar salsa being served at San Angel Inn (something the local Mexican place in a strip center wouldn't dream of doing) and the MUCH lower quality of food at Yakitori House at Epcot.

Okay, then it is entirely fair to compare WDW resort to DL resort.

-Michael
    You know that it isn't.

One is a true world class RESORT with 43,000 acres of land, much of which is still pristine woodlands and wetlands, that has four theme parks, two water parks, 33,000 hotel rooms, camping, recreation, shopping etc ...

The other has two theme parks, and three resort hotels (two of which aren't special at all), a shopping and entertainment district and is entirely hemmed in by suburban sprawl, including a freeway.

Comparing one MK park to another is an apples to apples deal. Comparing WDW to any other Disney location in the world (even Tokyo) just doesn't work. Nowhere is the 'blessing of size' that WDW has.

For a two-week vacation, there is nowhere I'd tell people to go who want a Disney fix more than WDW. Now, if they were talking about a 3-4 day visit, I might send them out of the country but ...

If someone asked me what MK to pick, I'd be sending them to Anaheim.

• Disney Memory Maker

So let me get this straight. You can't compare WDW with DLR because WDW has more things. However, you can compare DL to MK even though one has more things? DL & MK are 2 different parks. On the outside, it may appear to be apples vs. apples, but once you look deeper, you'll see it's really Red Deliciouses vs. Grany Smiths (with MK of course being the red delicious). They are completely different. One is a small park that caters to a group of locals. The other is a large park that caters to a much larger array of tourists. So am I saying you should compare WDW to DLR? Absolutely not. However, you should also not compare MK and DL, for they are 2 different parks.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

So let me get this straight. You can't compare WDW with DLR because WDW has more things. However, you can compare DL to MK even though one has more things? DL & MK are 2 different parks. On the outside, it may appear to be apples vs. apples, but once you look deeper, you'll see it's really Red Deliciouses vs. Grany Smiths (with MK of course being the red delicious). They are completely different. One is a small park that caters to a group of locals. The other is a large park that caters to a much larger array of tourists. So am I saying you should compare WDW to DLR? Absolutely not. However, you should also not compare MK and DL, for they are 2 different parks.

-Michael
    First off, to state that DL 'caters to a group of locals' is a bit much. It may have a larger local base, but the population in metro-LA is just a wee bit higher than metro Orlando.

And the size difference isn't a major factor other than the MK being able to handle crowds better (although not as well as it did say 10 years ago before attractions closed, entertainment venues stopped performances etc).

They are both the same modeled park. A Magic Kingdom. There are now five of them world-wide and it's absolutely a fair comparison, no matter how much you want to be right.

As much as I hate to use this analogy, I will. the MKs are like Macy's department stores. They are all based on a basic model. They all have certain departments. But they aren't all the same. Some are smaller, some are larger. Some might carry housewares, some might have more urban clothing or winter clothing etc ... Some may be new and modern, others may have been around for decades. But the basic model remains the same.

• Banned User

-Michael
    Ahem, the WDW MK would (and will) end up catering just as much to locals as Disneyland Park does if marketing did their job correctly in Florida. WDW's local following just isn't as large yet because it's newer. But it's getting there.

Now, if I remember correctly, Disneyland catered to International Visitors just like WDW's MK did. It just stopped in 1971 when WDW opened.

The main point here is that WDW's MK is a large park that has less things to do than Disneyland Park, which is actually smaller.

The main point is, you'd expect Disneyland Park to have less things because it is in a tiny resort compared to WDW. And you'd expect the Magic Kingdom Park to have a lot more to do than Disneyland Park. But in reality, it couldn't be farther from the truth. That is why you can't compare the two resorts, yet you can compare the parks. If WDW used the land as well as Disneyland Park does, imagine what COULD have been at WDW. That's where the real comparison lies.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

So let me get this straight. You can't compare WDW with DLR because WDW has more things. However, you can compare DL to MK even though one has more things? DL & MK are 2 different parks. On the outside, it may appear to be apples vs. apples, but once you look deeper, you'll see it's really Red Deliciouses vs. Grany Smiths (with MK of course being the red delicious). They are completely different. One is a small park that caters to a group of locals. The other is a large park that caters to a much larger array of tourists.
    "... that caters to a group of locals"?!?? Man, you just showed your very young age, inexperience and immaturity, big time. Just how "much" do you actually know about Disney history?? Obviously not much or you'd know where Disneyland has stood as an international destination since right after it opened.

What do you actually base your statements on?? It sure isn't "perspective". Don't make definative statements based on sweeping generalizations that have no basis on fact; it doesn't help your case.

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    First off, to state that DL 'caters to a group of locals' is a bit much.
    Oh come on. (Just as a note, by locals, I mean AP-holding SoCal residents). Disneyland caters to locals more than anyone else. Disneyland makes a little mistake and they've got half the population of anaheim down their throats.

They are both the same modeled park.
    AK is modeled the same way as MK, but I wouldn't compare them. They both have the exact same hub-spoke layout, they both have the focal point as a large recognizable symbol in the center of the park, they both have many different lands, they both are very themed, etc. Would you start comparing AK to DL though? No, they are 2 different parks.

As to whether WDW will eventually cater to locals like DL does, I don't see it anytime in the forseable future. WDW is a resort destination with thousands of hotel rooms to fill up. The majority of locals will not stay in a Disney resort (why should they when they can stay at home for free). And although locals are important to WDW, I can't see WDW shifting their focus to them.

• MiceAge Columnist

The comparisons of Magic Kingdoms have been around as long as the Internet; it was one of the first flame wars I saw when I started reading Usenet in 1994. And nothing really has changed; the arguments continue to not really hold water for me, because they aren't addressing the "heroin monkey" factor.

C'mon, you recognize the quote. Al said back in the late 90s that DCA would be a heroin monkey on Disneyland's back, eating up all the budget for new rides for years and maybe decades. Of course Al was right. (Of course I say that now; I was right there saying it with him back then!)

Don't you see, that same effect has been going on at WDW since 1982. Once you open a second gate and need to "plus" it, you will have that much less incentive to add to the original park. Same story with resources.

The argument could be made that Epcot didn't need immediate plussing, but MGM did and DAK still does.

So the MK had 1971-1989 to hog the "plussing" budget; a mere 18 years. Disneyland had 1955-2001... a significantly-longer 46 years.

THIS is the reason that the whole argument is an apples-vs-oranges thing for me. Not because WDW is a resort and DL is a single park. But because DL was a single park for so much longer.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by speederscout
    "... that caters to a group of locals"?!?? Man, you just showed your very young age, inexperience and immaturity, big time. Just how "much" do you actually know about Disney history?? Obviously not much or you'd know where Disneyland has stood as an international destination since right after it opened.

What do you actually base your statements on?? It sure isn't "perspective". Don't make definative statements based on sweeping generalizations that have no basis on fact; it doesn't help your case.
    I didn't say caters just to a group of locals (and like I said in my previous post, I'm defining locals as AP-holding SoCal residents). Is Disneyland an international destination? Of course (heck, it's a symbol of America). However, I still stand by that they cater mostly to the locals, and that the locals influence a lot of the decisions they make.

DL doesn't do mass advertisings like WDW does. Before the HCoE commercial with the little boy & CG characters heading to DL, when was the last DL commercial to air outside of the viscinity of DL? They don't do national ads like WDW does. When it opened, I'm sure it was a huge tourist destination, but right now, WDW has that crown. WDW is the one that is being advertised all over the country.

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

Oh come on. (Just as a note, by locals, I mean AP-holding SoCal residents). Disneyland caters to locals more than anyone else. Disneyland makes a little mistake and they've got half the population of anaheim down their throats.
    LOLOL... "Disney makes a little mistake"?!?? I'm sure that explains the big push they're making to sell still more APs during the Christmas season. Obviously Disneyland has a much wider attendance base than you imagine. When was the last time you strolled through the park to come to your amazing conclusions?

• Banned User

Ahem, if Disney World ever did a Light Magic, you can bet we'd be all over it. Since I know the creator of the show personally, I can't really bad-mouth the parade without feeling guilty, simply because I've never seen it. But I'm sure if there ever was as much of a disaster here as there was for Light Magic in Anaheim.
    AK is modeled the same way as MK, but I wouldn't compare them. They both have the exact same hub-spoke layout, they both have the focal point as a large recognizable symbol in the center of the park, they both have many different lands, they both are very themed, etc. Would you start comparing AK to DL though? No, they are 2 different parks.
    Do yourself a favor and look at a map. The designs are nothing alike. There is no such Hub in AK. A circular pathway is at the center of the park. Animal Kingdom doesn't even have remotely related themes to the Magic Kingdom unless you think a Magic Kingdom Style Park is entirely Adventureland with live animals. LOL
    As to whether WDW will eventually cater to locals like DL does, I don't see it anytime in the forseable future. WDW is a resort destination with thousands of hotel rooms to fill up. The majority of locals will not stay in a Disney resort (why should they when they can stay at home for free). And although locals are important to WDW, I can't see WDW shifting their focus to them.
    I see WDW having no choice to start catering to the locals. Because if they don't, the locals will bite WDW in the back... where it hurts. And we already are. There's a reason locals won't work at Disney anymore. Even I would rather work over at Universal because of the condition the CMs put up with at WDW. Don't say the locals don't care. In Florida we're not as vocal as the guys over in California. If someone does something we don't like, we go somewhere else. Even some former WDW Execs in Orlando prefer Sea World over the Magic Kingdom at this point.

So WDW had better care, or they're gonna have some big problems... four times as many as Disneyland.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast