Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Avatar 2 won't be out until 2016, at least. So.........

Jon Landau Says Avatar 2 Is Four Years Away | Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

........what does this do to the Avatar land? I'm sure Disney wants the land opening to correspond to the sequel opening.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Bangarang!

Re: Avatar 2 won't be out until 2016, at least. So.........

Well there's nothing to stop them starting construction some time this year.

If they plan to include elements from the sequel they can get the best of both worlds by riding the wave from the initial opening and then the inevitable hype once they add whatever they add from part 2.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Jon Landau Says Avatar 2 Is Four Years Away | Bleeding Cool Comic Book, Movies and TV News and Rumors

........what does this do to the Avatar land? I'm sure Disney wants the land opening to correspond to the sequel opening.
    This could go either way... if the land opened first, there is the opportunity for WDW to be the place to 'break new ideas' that could be in the movie.. but would be seen first in WDW.

If the land were opened first, you could ride on Avatar in the theatre to promote WDW. Imagine if in the theatre, there was a trailer/ad for WDW in front of every Avatar showing? If it were part of every Avatar TV spot, etc.

The less WDW relies on 'retelling the same scenes you saw in the movie' the better IMO - so there should be little concern about synchronizing the openings and the more Disney can co-promote the land with the movie.. the better.

I think the worst scenario would be the land NOT being ready when the movie opens or shortly after the movie opens. Because then you have lost the opportunity to co-market.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well I think Disney is going to stay to the 2015 opening... so if I had to venture a guess we will see Avatar open in October of 2015 with a mild holiday push, and then a huge spring/summer marketing push with the movie.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

They may make the opening of the land coincide with the beginning of the advertising push for the movie - say, around the time the first trailer comes out. But yeah, that thing's not going to get built overnight.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I think the worst scenario would be the land NOT being ready when the movie opens or shortly after the movie opens. Because then you have lost the opportunity to co-market.
    There is also the risk of the film bombing and hurting desire to see the land.

I'm guessing Avatar 2 will flop. By 2016 3D will be pretty much an everyday thing and unless Cameron makes some sort of mindblowing effect no one will care.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    I'm guessing Avatar 2 will flop. By 2016 3D will be pretty much an everyday thing and unless Cameron makes some sort of mindblowing effect no one will care.
    You think it's going to flop just because of 3-d? Cameron has a well established track record when it comes to movies.

---------- Post added 01-16-2012 at 03:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    This could go either way... if the land opened first, there is the opportunity for WDW to be the place to 'break new ideas' that could be in the movie.. but would be seen first in WDW.

If the land were opened first, you could ride on Avatar in the theatre to promote WDW. Imagine if in the theatre, there was a trailer/ad for WDW in front of every Avatar showing? If it were part of every Avatar TV spot, etc.

The less WDW relies on 'retelling the same scenes you saw in the movie' the better IMO - so there should be little concern about synchronizing the openings and the more Disney can co-promote the land with the movie.. the better.

If the land opens between movies, that would work also. He is filming the next two at the same time and releasing them a year apart I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Truecoat View Post
    You think it's going to flop just because of 3-d? Cameron has a well established track record when it comes to movies.
    Yeah but think about it:
    Did Avatar have a good story or was it just cowboys vs. Indians in space in 3D? Sure Cameron is a great director I don't think Avatar was that good beyond the 3D.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 01-16-2012 at 04:49 PM.

• Senior Minion

So... seven years after the original, the sequel is going to generate as much excitement as the first film? The public is going to thrill to a fresh, compelling story on a never-before-seen planet, populated with new and memorable characters, executed in motion capture animation that is as far beyond anything else in 2016 as the original was in 2009? And to Disney's delight, the sequel will generate the merchandise that the original didn't?

Don't think so.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    So... seven years after the original, the sequel is going to generate as much excitement as the first film? The public is going to thrill to a fresh, compelling story on a never-before-seen planet, populated with new and memorable characters, executed in motion capture animation that is as far beyond anything else in 2016 as the original was in 2009? And to Disney's delight, the sequel will generate the merchandise that the original didn't?

Don't think so.
    Well said.

Don't think so.
    To say the sequels will be as successful as the original would be foolhardy but they will do very well. I see you are giving it a been there, done that attitude but it will make plenty o' money.

My guess is there will be merchandise opportunities in the next two movies. Iger would not have made a deal that wouldn't include chances to make serious money off the trinkets and food.

• Reforming Lurker

Don't think so.
    I wouldn't bet against James Cameron.

15 years ago, "Titanic" was pushed to a December release date when Cameron couldn't deliver it for its original summer bow, and the press went wild: "Cameron is making the most expensive movie in history with two stars the American public has never heard of, and everyone knows how it ends. Who would go see that?" (The answer: Everyone.)

Similar worries plagued "Avatar" before its release, and we all know how that turned out.

Cameron is a very smart man, despite what you may think of his chops as a filmmaker -- surely he knows that he has to top himself with "Avatar 2," in more ways than one. He took the reins of "Alien" from Ridley Scott and delivered a very different, much broader film that upped the stakes; he also wrote a platoon full of colorful, memorable characters. "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" was a revolutionary visual effects showcase, and it also turned the original's villain into the hero, and introduced a new villain that became a filmic icon in its own right.

There is little reason to think that "Avatar 2" will simply retread the original. Cameron never does anything small, and mounting two sequels to the biggest movie of all time -- and designing theme park attractions based on those movies -- certainly isn't a small task. I realize many MiceChat frequenters have lost faith in WDI, but the thought of Imagineers working with someone who has the drive and technical ingenuity of a James Cameron is very exciting indeed. Even if the "Avatar" attractions aren't your cup of tea, the new techniques and equipment that will be invented for those attractions will have a ripple effect throughout WDI for years to come.

I can't wait to ride these attractions, whatever they are.

This is a good idea. They probably want to make sure that the franchise is worthy of staying around.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    I wouldn't bet against James Cameron.

15 years ago, "Titanic" was pushed to a December release date when Cameron couldn't deliver it for its original summer bow, and the press went wild: "Cameron is making the most expensive movie in history with two stars the American public has never heard of, and everyone knows how it ends. Who would go see that?" (The answer: Everyone.)

Similar worries plagued "Avatar" before its release, and we all know how that turned out.

Cameron is a very smart man, despite what you may think of his chops as a filmmaker -- surely he knows that he has to top himself with "Avatar 2," in more ways than one. He took the reins of "Alien" from Ridley Scott and delivered a very different, much broader film that upped the stakes; he also wrote a platoon full of colorful, memorable characters. "Terminator 2: Judgment Day" was a revolutionary visual effects showcase, and it also turned the original's villain into the hero, and introduced a new villain that became a filmic icon in its own right.

There is little reason to think that "Avatar 2" will simply retread the original. Cameron never does anything small, and mounting two sequels to the biggest movie of all time -- and designing theme park attractions based on those movies -- certainly isn't a small task. I realize many MiceChat frequenters have lost faith in WDI, but the thought of Imagineers working with someone who has the drive and technical ingenuity of a James Cameron is very exciting indeed. Even if the "Avatar" attractions aren't your cup of tea, the new techniques and equipment that will be invented for those attractions will have a ripple effect throughout WDI for years to come.

I can't wait to ride these attractions, whatever they are.
    Great post. Well thought out, articulate and accurate.
    I agree. And I applaud the fact that you are not one of the Disney sheeple (pack mentality).

Rare.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast