Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WDW's Fantasyland expansion of '12/'13 and DL's Fantasyland overhaul of '83

As things develop for WDW's Fantasyland expansion, I can't help but wonder how it stacks up in comparison to Disneyland's Fantasyland overhaul of 1983. That's what this discussion is all about.
    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight
    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: WDW's Fantasyland expansion of '12/'13 and DL's Fantasyland overhaul of '83

You didn't give your opinion.

I think it'll work out well. The details and quality in the design seems a cut above what everyone is expecting in the MK. Honestly, DL's Fantasyland redo isn't everything it's been cracked up to be. It's gorgeous, sure; but blowing those carnivalesque dark ride entrances out into a 3D village with all sorts of ornamental details has eaten up a lot of physical space and so there's very little room for the "just travelling through" people thanks to the less than amazingly efficient queues. Compare the queue for Snow White or Mister Toad to Alice in Wonderland and you'll see what I mean.

This wasn't a problem in the 80s and 90s, but with the advent of "Stroller Parking" I try to avoid walking through DL's Fantasyland and miss the Skyway.

• Minion

I'd love it if they could make WDW's Fantasyland exteriors as nice as DLR's. However, I think they made the right decision by going for more space. Traffic in Fantasyland had gotten to be kind of a nightmare on busy days.

One thing that both Fantasyland redos have in common, apparently, is the relocation of Dumbo. Disneyland's Fantasyland did it and so is WDW.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

Id like them to (one by one) change the facades and update them.
    N-Fantasyland looks great so far.

• Minion

Although, now that I think about it, the circus theme of the addition does kind of go with the tournament-tent look of the old façades. Maybe they could keep the same style, but make it more elaborate,

• Minion

ORDDU: It's really not Disney's fault that their theme parks have been taken over by so many strollers. It's the fault of--well, we've had this discussion many times in the past so it's pointless to go their again. But strollers have truly ruined the landscape of many things at Disney.

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Id like them to (one by one) change the facades and update them.
    N-Fantasyland looks great so far.
    I'm hoping once all the new stuff is up, the old stuff gets a lot of TLC and new facades.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
    I'm hoping once all the new stuff is up, the old stuff gets a lot of TLC and new facades.
    I'm hoping everything gets TLC while it's being built, so that when the expansion opens up fully in 2013 we have a gorgeous Fantasyland through and through.

DCA is doing it with their expansion, so why can't MK?

Photo Via jdhilger

• Honorary Jungle Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    I'm hoping everything gets TLC while it's being built, so that when the expansion opens up fully in 2013 we have a gorgeous Fantasyland through and through.

That would be nice too, but I can understand why they want to keep the old stuff operating while the new stuff is being built. I'd hate to visit WDW and have no Fantasyland.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: It's really not Disney's fault that their theme parks have been taken over by so many strollers. It's the fault of--well, we've had this discussion many times in the past so it's pointless to go their again. But strollers have truly ruined the landscape of many things at Disney.
    I would like to see more enclosed stroller parking that blends into the environment but doesn't destroy it with an ungodly sea of strollers. They're a total nightmare to see regardless of how much room there is.

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post

Well really there wasn't much worth seeing in DCA beforehand so really boarding up half of DCA was quite the enhancement over DCA 1.0.

• Vehicle rotating backward

I wouldn't pay any mind to those strollers at all if I still had 'em magical flying sky buckets to just glide over them! I miss traveling halfway across the park so much, I would take that Tinker Bell zipline if they'd let me!

I took some time off from Disney after seeing Disneyland in 1999, visiting the "New Tomorrowland" and seeing DCA under construction I had to stop and think if I really wanted to see where things were going. Then I went to WDW in 2006 and figured the stroller lots were a Floridian thing. Then I return to Disneyland and, wow! Apparently they're contagious!

Most Disney World parks have a certain amount of empty space, and Disneyland has a lot of wasted space (festival area, motorboat/Small World area, never used EO queue etc) so I blame part of it on poor applications of space by local managers.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    This wasn't a problem in the 80s and 90s, but with the advent of "Stroller Parking" I try to avoid walking through DL's Fantasyland and miss the Skyway.
    I'm just talking about Disneyland's new Fantasyland around 1983, not after then.

3. Splash Mountain
    4. Mad Tea Party
    5. Peter Pan's Flight

• -

Yet they make it more convenient for parents with small children to visit the parks. Go figure...
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast