Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Horizons, we miss you...

I've just been reading a book which featured an in-depth description of Horizons, and then just watched an on-line video of the ride. I'm in a real Horizons mood. Let's start a Horizons thread. Anything you have of Horizons - pictures, video, stories - just post them here.

I'll start with this. I didn't take it, but it really was one of my favorite sights of Epcot: Aproaching the all time best Disney attraction, and getting ready to ride!

• Minion

Re: Horizons, we miss you...

Well, no Horizons discussion is complete without Mesa Verde Times:

Mesa Verde Times

The best way to read it is oldest post first. I was sucked in from the start.

I never got to ride Horizons, but Hoot and Chief at MVT make me feel like I did. I miss it as much as if I'd actually been there and seen it.

• Cool Yule

^Great site. I still can't believe they did what they did. Not that I'd condone any of it today, but I'm sure glad they did, so we can remember the attraction.

Can't go too far into this thread without mentioning the digital recreation over at Horizons: Resurrected . Hope they manage to complete it.

Anywho, Horizons was my favourite attraction in the park. Filled with such wonderful optimism and whimsy. And I maybe wrong, but isn't it the only attraction that is a sequel? (to Carousel of Progress).

I used to love riding it thinking that one day we'd all be living in Brava Centauri or Sea Castle.
    Oh how I miss it..

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Took the words out of my mouth, Hathaway Browne. Except that Horizons wasn't my favorite ride in the park. It was my favorite ride of all Disney attractions anywhere, ever.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Still miss it, and love Horizons Resurrected....check it regularly!
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

• formerly very helpful

I just checked out Mesa Verde Times. Quite the unusual collection of Horizons stuff they have there. Makes me miss it even more!

And I'll admit it, I used to have a massive crush on the "red-headed granddaughter." (The filmed, real-person one, not the animatronic, so that's ok, right?)

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    And I maybe wrong, but isn't it the only attraction that is a sequel? (to Carousel of Progress)
    I really loved Horizons too. But what specifically is there in the ride that makes it a sequel to CofP?

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I really loved Horizons too. But what specifically is there in the ride that makes it a sequel to CofP?
    CoP was an attraction sponsored by GE where guests followed the American nuclear family through multiple decades of the 20th century. The audience sat in a theater that rotated around stationary animatronic show scenes.

Horizons was an attraction sponsored by GE where guests followed the American nuclear family through multiple living options of a plausible 21st century. The audience sat in an omnimover that glided past stationary animatronic show scenes.

There's nothing about Horizons that necessarily screams "this is a sequel to CoP!" but it was conceived as such, and depending on who you asked involved with the development of Horizons, it's the same family from CoP (or descendants of that family).

---------- Post added 01-20-2012 at 01:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I've just been reading a book which featured an in-depth description of Horizons...
    Might that book have been Four Decades of Magic containing the excellent essay on Horizons, "Tomorrow's Windows" by Michael Crawford? For anyone interested in knowing more about Horizons and getting a very in-depth understanding of the attraction and its development, I can't recommend that essay enough, as well as the other articles about Horizons that Crawford has written for his web site, Progress City, U.S.A.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Whether or not Horizons was specifically intended as a sequel to the CoP, there were definitely some parallels.

Both were structured as a patriarch telling about how the latest technology shaped his family's lives, with interjections from his wife and other family members, while his loyal dog sat at his feet. Both the Horizons and CoP father had the same face mold and folksy sense of humor. (The Horizons father had gray hair and grandchildren, making him older than the CoP one.) Both attractions were originally sponsored by GE, and both featured the song, "There's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow."

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Both attractions were originally sponsored by GE, and both featured the song, "There's a Great, Big, Beautiful Tomorrow."
    Darnit! do you know how long it's gonna take for me to get that song out of my head now.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    Darnit! do you know how long it's gonna take for me to get that song out of my head now.
    The Sherman brothers should have called themselves The Earworm Brothers.

• formerly very helpful

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Might that book have been Four Decades of Magic containing the excellent essay on Horizons, "Tomorrow's Windows" by Michael Crawford?
    It is The EPCOT Explorer's Encyclopedia, by R. A. Pedersen.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It is The EPCOT Explorer's Encyclopedia, by R. A. Pedersen.
    Oh, I want to read that!

If you haven't read Four Decades of Magic and you're interested in learning even more about Horizons, I highly recommend it!
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

Thanks for the recomendation. I just finished the heart-wrenching chapter about Journey Into Imagination. I wanted to cry.
    It's clear that the author of this has a genuine love for EPCOT.

And by the way, PSUMark, I love the EPCOT symbols in your signature. Classic, and classy, EPCOT.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I miss Horizons too, got to ride it very limited amount of times but things like Mesa Verde times and such fascinate me with more in depth info. Here are some scanned official WDW press type images...

when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast