Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Splash Mountain finale effects turned off 1/22

I did mention it to them, politely of course. Long story short: this has apparently gone on for a few weeks, and they are "waiting for parts" to fix it. Um.... just no.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I know at Universal Orlando they have a point system for effects that aren't working, and when an attraction hits 10 points it is shut down.

I would assume Disney has some sort of system like this, but I have never heard of it.

BTW in your video is the grey hen on the very right side headless, or is she just frozen with her head tilted back?

Either way that is HORRIBLE BAD SHOW.
    101 figures. Individual figures (or "things" in this case) that are supposed to shut an attraction regardless of what else in the ride is working or not. They still train it. Just wonder if they still follow it...

...and then I watch the video again.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

I guess they thought no one would notice? Perhaps this is the attraction's way to tell TDO it needs a complete refurb as well. Either way, this is one of the most appalling things I've seen. The Disco Yeti seems excusable compared to this.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

"As long as the doughs rolling in who cares if the AA's ever work again!" - TDO

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    I did mention it to them, politely of course. Long story short: this has apparently gone on for a few weeks, and they are "waiting for parts" to fix it. Um.... just no.
    Anyone else remember the golden days of America when companies had competent draftsmen and machinists capable of fabricating anything needed to keep the show going?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Waiting for the exact same specific part that isn't working on all the figures...? Yeah, right. Could be the boat mechanics...but it was still moving back and forth...

Or it's worse than I thought, if all of them have different parts which don't work, letting it get that far with no maintenance....you'd think if just one was broken, they might remove it at night, instead of shutting them all off so they 'match'. Horrible show either way and very awkward.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    101 figures. Individual figures (or "things" in this case) that are supposed to shut an attraction regardless of what else in the ride is working or not. They still train it. Just wonder if they still follow it...

...and then I watch the video again.
    There is no such thing as a '101' figure anymore, as long as the ride is running, that is all that matters.

Hourly rider counts is the most important thing now, no show quality, just put people on the ride, then get them off, that is the important part now. Who cares if they enjoy it or see anything at all.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    I guess they thought no one would notice? Perhaps this is the attraction's way to tell TDO it needs a complete refurb as well. Either way, this is one of the most appalling things I've seen. The Disco Yeti seems excusable compared to this.
    The showboat scene sparkles and shines in a way where you have no choice BUT to notice. Plus your log gets really upfront and close. They're insane to think we won't notice it because the scene is clearly designed to catch your eye and take in all the detail.

Aw what am I saying? That should be the case for EVERY ride at Disney!
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post
    There is no such thing as a '101' figure anymore, as long as the ride is running, that is all that matters.

Hourly rider counts is the most important thing now, no show quality, just put people on the ride, then get them off, that is the important part now. Who cares if they enjoy it or see anything at all.
    And rider count isn't likely to go down, since you don't know it isn't working until you're already in there.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by DRSeeker View Post

Sadly, I think this is the now the case. The desire for sheer capacity seems to me the only way that Everest would run without its main character, or Soarin' would be allowed to play a film that's so dusty that it looks like it was dug up from someone's attic. Or for that matter, that Stitch's Great Escape or Backlot Tour are allowed to run at all.

You have to wonder how long this model of operations is going to be able to last. Clearly, Disney is now content with relying only on its reputation as a global destination or rite of passage for most of its audience, but the only reason it earned that reputation in the first place was because of decades of being the best in the industry. The maintenance and upkeep issues plaguing WDW are now at the level that any guest should be able to notice (broken figures on Splash, burnt out lightbulbs everywhere, the staleness of the Great Movie Ride). It can't be long before a sufficient number of guests return home and write TripAdvisor reviews or spread negative word of mouth to the point that Disney's legendary reputation diminishes.

It's sad that they're so willing to let that happen.

• Closed Account

Yes and no. After 6yrs I noticed that different managers seemed to either care or not. I saw a manager close Pirates because the auctioneer was closed. I saw one close Mansion because Leota was not working. However, this was far and few between because 99% of the time they wanted people pushed through the Mansion no matter what unless the Stretch was broken or an Omnimover plate came off. No audio in the Foyer and no Aging Man? GET EM THROUGH! No Leota? There's 10,000 other FX they can see. No Hitchiking Ghosts? 3rd Shift will fix it. YEs at WDW Phil and Meg ONLY CARE that Mansion is getting 2,500 an hour to prove to Phil that investing $50million in the '07 rehab was worth it. And let's not even get into Jungle Cruise where we had to suffer w/ cruises that had no Inspiration Falls, Schweitzer Falls, Hippo Pool, Dancing or Attacking Natives. Yay for awkward improv....

---------- Post added 01-25-2012 at 12:02 AM ----------

And don't think the hourly count fetish applies only to MK. We had to endure doing whole Safaris (yes 18-20min) WITHOUT the Ms. Jobson/Wilson audio. Now THOSE were fun.... The only place in Orlando I have seen smooth operations are Epcot, Studios, USF, IOA, and SeaWorld.

• Theming Fan

Someplace much to far from anything Disney.

OFF TOPIC:

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    And let's not even get into Jungle Cruise where we had to suffer w/ cruises that had no Inspiration Falls, Schweitzer Falls, Hippo Pool, Dancing or Attacking Natives. Yay for awkward improv....
    This one time on the Jungle Cruise during Extra Magic Hours, we had a British skipper (though he kept protesting he was not and put his hand over his nametag through the trip) and there was no Attacking Natives. I know this says something deplorable about the management, but it's kind of fun to see the cast members improvise their way through that.

ON-TOPIC:

I'm disgusted. When I rode Splash Mountain on the same trip last summer I was absolutely disgusted with the awful condition of Splash. One of my favorite rides was reduced to the maintenance quality of the awful dark ride at my local amusement park. I just really hope Disney does SOMETHING. ANYTHING to save this ride from its miserable state.
    Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.
    Check out my bandcamp!
    http://chaseharrison1.bandcamp.com/

• Sock Puppet

Sweet Fancy Moses!!!! I couldn't stop laughing!!! That is so pathetic. This would NEVER happen at Disneyland. They fix everything...and I mean everything! I saw a custodian with a feather duster cleaning the bushes.
    I think the difference between WDW and the Disneyland Resort is Disneyland actually was Walt's park. He even lived there. So carrying on his tradition is not only important, it's cherished. And one of the things he wanted for park guests to have is a clean park, and that includes a fully functioning park too.
    Up the road is his studio in Burbank. And the powers that be think of Disneyland and California Adventure as being their baby too. So no expense is too great to keep Walt's playground alive and well.
    Last edited by DisneyResort; 01-25-2012 at 09:59 AM.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Unacceptable. If you notice, half the chase lights are out on the boat as well. Seriously looks like Chucky Cheese in there. Maybe they should start selling pizza in along with ride photos in the exit...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Well after Universal's announcement today, I am going to be spending a lot more time in the Universal parks than Disney parks!

http://micechat.com/forums/universal...ouncement.html

One company is investing heavily into their parks so that their attractions top themselves the other is a dying relic.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast