View Poll Results: If you where King of WDW would you.....

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep the DHS hat where it is.

0 0%
  • Move the DHS hat.

6 42.86%
  • Kill it with fire!!!!!!!

8 57.14%

• Mkcoastie

Talking King of The World

Well, after a fairly constant stream of articles and threads that have been extreamly saddening, I decided I wanted to do something fun. Most of us here on the WDW board are here because we still love our WDW. We spend our time ranting about maintenance, cleanliness and disco yeti's not to express our dislike for WDW, but mostly because we truly care.....and are upset that the parks are being treated this way. (at least I think.......I may be way off point here, perhaps I'm assuming you feel like I do when in fact your mostly west coasters who come to the WDW boards just to mock me? ) Either way, I thought it would be fun to take this feeling and apply it to todays SamLand article in which he says
    "One line of questioning that I like to use during the Curiosity phase is a simple challenge. For a brief moment, they will become the queen or king of the empire that we are planning for and they possess enormous powers and prestige to make things happen. What do you want to happen? It usually gets a chuckle but it also liberates the participant and can release a very constructive dialogue. Then they are back to normal. Poof!"

so, if you have not read the original, please do....
    http://micechat.com/blogs/samland/3302-if-i-were-king-disneyland.html
    and then apply this same idea to the east coast......What would you change and do if you where

KING OF DISNEY WORLD.......

here is my thoughts...........

Magic Kingdom
    1. Clean-up: there was once a time when most areas of the parks where clean enough to conduct open heart surgery in. this has shown it can be done, there is absolutely no excuse for it not still to be this way. soooooooo, immediately put a stop to this bunk of ride operators cleaning. Second, letís stop pinching pennies with the night shift. This goes for both minor maintenance and janitorial.

2. Now arriving, tomorrow: I love the people mover. I know, not much to it, but I love the relaxing ride through tomorrowland, especially on a hot day when the lines are a bit big. That being said, do you think it might be time to spruce up the route? Perhaps an animatronics or to (in those windows that currently have static displays) and maybe a refurb that adds some cool kinetics, lighting and effects to the progress city model? Also......no more stich. Bring back Extraterrorestrial. a little to scary? Yes. Perfect? No. Far better than what replaced it? Absolutely don't get me wrong, a new idea completely would also be good, but failing that.......

3. You can drive, you can drive: sorry. I'm gonna get rid of AutoTopia. well....I might be open to an update with cars that more accurately depict the future, but as of right now this has no place in tomorrowland. It's also not unique anymore. Every regional theme park in the world has a driving ride. There is a lot of real estate that could be used for some really cool additions here.

4. If the ride is broke, it's closed. (Youíll note that was a period at the end of that sentence). This seems like it might at least put a fire under some butts to actually fix stuff. this was the way it once was, it's the way it still theoretically is......it needs to be absolute. I understand this will be an issue for the once in a lifetime/yearly visitor.....but I have two thoughts on this: 1. I don't want a once in a lifetime visitor to see something like the current monstrosity that is the finale of Splash Mountain. and 2. this will produce more incentive to ensure things are fixed to ensure minimal down time.

5. Little stuff: this is what really make Disney "magic". Little stuff. Mickey Mouse glitter spread in strollers while youíre on a ride, street vendors coming up and offering a free ice-cream to an obviously saddened child, unadvertised "secrets" like the transportation cards or the recently discontinued tom sawyer paint brushes.....little (and often unexpected) stuff like this are on the grand scale of things very inexpensive. Sure, they add up....but you will not get a better bang for your buck.

Epcot:

1. Just a Spark: Imagination. Complete referb. New ride. (Keep figment involved, throw everything out and start over). And open upstairs with some state of the art cool stuff. Epcot used to be a place of "wow, thatís really cool" technology.........let's bring that back at least a bit.

2. Vroom: I'm waiting to see what the plan is with Test Track. I'm giving them some time to see if the rumors pan out, and what it ends up looking like.

3. E.P.C.O.T.: I also think I'm gonna bring back a tweaked version of the old pavilion logo's (Land, Sea, Imagination, Space, Energy, transportation, and yes bring back life....). I will make it more obvious that these are unique and separate "pavilions".
    ............Oh, and I'll rename the park EPCOT (all caps).

(I also might re-build the wand, and personally blow it up........well maybe not, but it would feel good.)

Hollywood Studios

1. Muppets: more Muppets! completely redo Muppet vision and expand to a true "Muppet Studio's mini-area.

2. May the force be with you: if there is any franchise we currently have rights to that has any hope of competing with the boy wizard its Star Wars. I know there has been all sorts of back ground wrangling for more Star Wars......this now becomes a priority. There is so much that can be done with this.

3. Great Movies: I think we've all beat this one to the ground. it needs help.

4. Backlot: Iím not sure this will remain. I still have to think some stuff through on this one.

5. I think it goes without saying that the day I take charge the hat leaves it's current location. I'm actually thinking (due to a recent comment I saw) That I'm gonna keep the hat, possibly as a pin store in Downtown Disney. It fits there.

Animal Kindom

1. Yeti: guess.

2. Dino's: The day I take charge I will also personally drive a bulldozer through Chester and Hesterís. Gone. Completely razed. In its place a much more appropriate land that actually captures the awe and imagination Dino's usually inspire.

3. In a very polite call to Mr. Cameron, I will thank him for his help......and build Beastly Kingdom instead.

soooo, what are your plans?

• formerly very helpful

Re: King of The World

That was a wand? I thought it was Mickey's middle finger!

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    That was a wand? I thought it was Mickey's middle finger!
    It was actually a GAINT "restrooms" sign

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Nothing would bring me greater joy, than to see that hat GONE!
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Mkcoastie

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Nothing would bring me greater joy, than to see that hat GONE!
    If they do ever decide to get rid of it, I think they could have a D23 event where flamethrowers and sledgehammers are issued to atendee's.........I'd pay for that!
    Last edited by mkcoastie; 01-26-2012 at 10:40 AM. Reason: better wording

• Nutty about Disney parks

All four parks could use a good degree of expansion and t.l.c. but I think the park that is in more dire need out of all of them is DHS. Themes completely mis-mashed and many of the lower-levels attractions are either too out-dated or too useless. The whole park needs to be re-purposed since they shut down their studio productions. Funny, cause I always thought DHS had about as equal to do as MK or Epcot but then I was a kid last time I was there so I was surprised to find out that it's widely considered as a half-day park. But if TDO invested enough into fixing up the park, they can at least say they're making an attempt at giving all the upcoming changes to USF a run for its money...if only they would actually care about doing so.

If I had just been hired to run WDW, I would've planned out a decade long project to expand and refurb all four parks in preparation for the resort's 50th anniversary in 2021. I have major fears that things in the resort might stay the same as they are once the anniversary arrives.

I would also fix up Downtown Disney, and give it a retheme to provide a more immersive experience to shoppers. The hotels could get upgrades too (especially the Value Resorts). I would also put in the luxury hotel that I planned instead of turning to third party hotel properties.

Of course the one thing I know we all want that would be deemed impossible is monorail expansion. I know it's extremely costly. But I would at the least or most expand the monorail to provide a third route that would travel between Epcot, DHS, DAK, TTC and back to Epcot again. That's really all you need when you think about it.
    Last edited by toonaspie; 01-26-2012 at 02:18 PM.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• All-American

Ohhhh boy. The Reign of Twain would be a very expensive and radical era indeed. With any luck though, my regime would be sufficiently prosperous and successful that I would manage to overhaul at least half of the resort before being fired for violating TDO’s ridiculous spending practices. That said, I'll keep my list somewhat brief and list what my main priorities would be as soon as I sat down at my throne desk.

- Immediate refurbs on Splash Mountain, Carousel of Progress, Peter Pan, Country Bear Jamboree, Everest, and Soarin'. Arm the CMs for possible guest revolt.

- Go Spaceship Earth 2007-style on the Great Movie Ride, doing a total AA replacement, and swapping out some of the scenes while you're at it. Keep any scene replacements classy, though - Alien for Star Wars, Tarzan for Dracula or African Queen, maybe Footlight Parade for some Charlie Chaplin, but leaving the good stuff like Indiana Jones and Casablanca. Use the opportunity to tear down the hat and showcase the theater as a central park attraction and icon.

- Put a new Imagination ride into fast-tracked development. Preferably, it would be a trackless or similarly innovative ride featuring Dreamfinder and Figment, with all new show scenes and special effects. Make sure it exits into a restored, upstairs, and very much 21st-century ImageWorks.

- New World Showcase pavilions, with attractions. I'm thinking Brazil, Greece, and Russia. Place the new attractions at various points around the lagoon so guests will be forced to enter all the way into World Showcase, dispersing the crowds elsewhere and earning the farther-in pavilions more money. MUAHAHAHAHA (I never said my reign was a benign one)

- Tear down the Flying Carpets in the Magic Kingdom. There’s a new spinner in town to replace the capacity, and Adventureland needs its smooth crowdflow and Polynesian theming back. Replace the carpets with some palms and a fountain.

- Do whatever it takes to reopen the shuttered QSRs in the Magic Kingdom - including the Adventureland Verandah, the Tomorrowland Terrace, and the Friar’s Nook. As for the Diamond Horseshoe, the theater would be reopened as a venue for live entertainment. A variety show based on the original Revue would be preferred, but at this point, anything to prevent the beautiful theater from being shuttered would be acceptable.

- Tear down Leave a Legacy. Replace with subtle landscaping that would effective at visually preparing guests for a day at Epcot.

- Completely revamp Epcot’s graphics. Bring back the classic Epcot font and logo, perhaps a little bit modernized (like this guy’s design). Currently, much of the park’s signage and graphics are a mixture of the park’s roots in streamlined modernist 1980s design, and a series of disjointed 1990s park-wide renovations which apparently tried (and failed) to impose a new graphic scheme on the park without replacing the old one. Remove all of that 90s signage and replace with more contemporary design that’s tastefully reminiscent of the park’s more streamlined origins (re: compare this to this). Reintroduce the original pavilion’s logos which can act as branding for each attraction. Design new logos as needed.

- Officially rename the park EPCOT Center.

- In addition to the upcoming refurb, fix the Test Track faÁade ASAP. Specifically, take down the “scaffolding”, the steel trusses and columns, and the blatantly 1990s posters. Remove any trace of the yellow and black scheme and replace with a more subdued, modern scheme. Ideally, the track looping around the building (and possibly some signage) would be the only annexation of the original circular building.

- Bring me one glass of every alcoholic beverage sold on Disney property. For, y'know, testing purposes.

- Greenlight a Lucasland expansion to DHS as Disney's main combatant to Potter. Tear down the Indy stunt show (since the park has two), and put in an exotic Arabian village complete with ridethrough temple, river flume (since the park has no water rides), and shopping bazaar. As for Star Wars, a suspended speeder ride throughout the land's outdoors, an interactive ride where guests combat each other, and a full-scale walkthrough Millennium Falcon (exiting into a hangar with meet-and-greet Star Wars characters) would all fit the bill nicely. Oh, and cantina.

- Refurb Fantasmic to be up to par with Disneyland's, complete with full-bodied (and fully-functional) dragon. Politely thank Disneyland for putting up with months of design headache as they figured out the design. Since we don't have a Columbia for a Peter Pan scene, replace Pocahontas with a Pirates of the Caribbean scene. Play Fantasmic nightly.

- Did I mention take out the hat?

- Begin immediate work on replacing the Norway film. Ideally, hold a film competition where Norwegians can film how they perceive their own country, and grant $100,000 to the winner. There – new movie, combined with true authenticity and the best in the spectacular tradition of Scandinavian filmmaking, all for a budget of $100,000. Boom.

- Market Humphrey the Bear and Jose Carioca as central Disney characters. Rename the Fab 5 to the Spectacular 7 to reflect this change. A channel dedicated exclusively to loops of Humphrey shorts and Saludos Amigos/Three Caballeros will be set as the default channel at every resort. Humphrey the Bear will be marketed as the new Disney Bear, with an appropriate amount of plush sold accordingly (like I said, not benign).

- Figure out Animal Kingdom's "night problem". Introduce incentives for guests to stay past the park's current afternoon closing - perhaps exhibits or a whole dedicated to nocturnal animals? As for nighttime entertainment, introduce a SpectroMagic-style light parade dedicated to families of animals (floats for fish, mammals, birds, reptiles, insects, etc.). See if Discovery Island can be fitted with a sort of permanent Fantasy of Lights-style walkthrough installation, with synchronized lights and music dedicated to animals.

- Utilize the canal around Discovery Island as inter-land transit, with boats stopping at each of the lands in the park. Possibly build a canal over to a boat dock at Animal Kingdom Lodge, so guests staying at the deluxe resort don't have to take a bus over to the hotel's namesake park.

- Seriously, just fix the &%$#* yeti. Shut the attraction town for 2 years for all I care.

- Reinvest in Pleasure Island/Downtown Disney, instead of expecting third parties to take it over. If there is money to be made in Downtown Disney, then Disney should be the ones making that money. Look at building new dancing and nightlife destinations there, but in a way that families would be comfortable walking past in the evening hours. Reopen Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurer's Club.

- Dramatically enhance maintenance budgets property-wide.

That'll do for now.

• formerly very helpful

^^^^^ Ditto!

• Mkcoastie

Talking Re: King of The World

you know, reading through you plans..........as long as i can join you in the beverage "testing," Im OK with the reign of Twain

Long Live the King!
    ( can i still drive the bulldozer through Chester amd Hester's?)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

In answering the poll question...

BURN BABY, BURN!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Hollywood Studios and Universal Studios should have a 24 hour Film Festival
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Minion

As much as I like the hat, I hate where it is! I love mkcoastie's idea of moving it to Downtown Disney. It would be a great landmark for groups to meet up by, and it would make DTD feel more like part of the resort. Maybe it could be made into a bus station.

Currently, much of the park’s signage and graphics are a mixture of the park’s roots in streamlined modernist 1980s design, and a series of disjointed 1990s park-wide renovations which apparently tried (and failed) to impose a new graphic scheme on the park without replacing the old one. Remove all of that 90s signage and replace with more contemporary design that’s tastefully reminiscent of the park’s more streamlined origins (re: compare this to this).
    MarkTwain made me think of a recent post at Futureprobe, where they remarked that one particular EPCOT sign looked "like 1994 threw up all over it."

futureprobe: The Enterprise-EPCOT Signage Similarity

I think it all boils down to the resort needing someone in charge who has A. a vision, and B. the drive and energy to see it through. The current VP is some dude who apparently only come in two days a week. For a share in the liquor, I'll support replacing him with Twain!