Seeking some insight on the IllumiNations water show at EPCOT..

I've never been to EPCOT and have never seen IllumiNations so I'm not quite sure what it is or if it is any good.

I'll be going in to DW in 30 days and I just wanted to know if you guys thought it is something worth seeing. The only water show I'm really use to is the DL version of Fantasmic and WOC... is IllumiNations sort of like these shows?

Also, how fast does each showing get crowded? I know when it comes to WOC and Fantasmic, people wait hours and hours for those shows to start... is this something I should expect with IllumiNations as well or could I get by showing up 30-60 minutes ahead of showtime?

Thanks!

Re: Seeking some insight on the IllumiNations water show at EPCOT..

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemickeyman View Post
    I've never been to EPCOT and have never seen IllumiNations so I'm not quite sure what it is or if it is any good.

I'll be going in to DW in 30 days and I just wanted to know if you guys thought it is something worth seeing. The only water show I'm really use to is the DL version of Fantasmic and WOC... is IllumiNations sort of like these shows?

Also, how fast does each showing get crowded? I know when it comes to WOC and Fantasmic, people wait hours and hours for those shows to start... is this something I should expect with IllumiNations as well or could I get by showing up 30-60 minutes ahead of showtime?

Thanks!
    IllumiNations is definately worth a viewing, but its not like either Fantasmic or World of Color. It is performed on and in the skies above the World Showcase Lagoon. It is very true that good viewing locations can be found from all around the lagoon. This means you will NOT have to stake out a spot hours before the show.

Its is a fireworks show, not water show It features many other elements chiefly a massive pyro effect and a giant LED globed which acts as the earth as it evolves from the "Big Bang" of the Universe to the current day. For about a 1/3 of the show the Globe is the sole focus but there are many other show elements in the show. The countries do light up, lasers make several appearances. The fireworks are expertly synchronized to a beautiful and memorable musical score. And dare I say this is Illuminations strongest asset, it's nearly perfect timing of fireworks to music. This is something Disney excels in but the format of Illuminations really allows Disney to show off just how well fireworks can be synchronized.

My recommendation is to view it between the two merchandise stores on the Future World boarder of World Showcase. This area is sloped and makes for excellent viewing. Arrive about 30 minutes before had, most nights you can even get by with 20 minutes before hand. And if your a season vet, 2 minutes is totally possible. Feel free to sit but be advise, you'll end up standing during the show if only to see above those closer to the lake who more often then not end up having to stand in order to see.

Should this area not be available, cut into the store and try to exit them directly lake side between the store and the lakes shoreline.

Finally, should these ares (there are two store so two areas) also not be available, look at winded direction and go UPWIND so that the wind is blowing on your back and the shoreline is infront of you. Get to any viewing location that satisfy the following two criteria,

1) Can see the barges located in the central part of the Lagoon. They do not need to be centered, within view.
    2) Trees do not obstruct your view of the sky.

Enjoy!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Kidgenie View Post
    My recommendation is to view it between the two merchandise stores on the Future World boarder of World Showcase.
    My personal favorite viewing spots are getting ADR's at either la hacienda or the rose and crown on the patio during the show. they provide great views (you get closer to the action then anyone else) and instead of standing up waiting for 20-30 mins insuring you have a good spot, you can enjoy a great meal in a comfortable chair.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

A must see.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

You guys are awesome! Thank you!

• Pilot EdForceOne

We always watch from the WS side. How soon you have to line up depends on the size of your party and the crowd levels. When it's busy, it can be 15ft solid of people all the way around the lagoon!

I would only say try to stay near the N/S line of the park.. and avoid sitting under any trees or places where trees block your sight line to the center of the lagoon. The globe sets up approx. along the center line N/S and a bit towards WS along the line E/W that the islands in the lagoon make. Our favorite area was always near Italy.. but Disney has been taking more of that area for reserved seating now
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    We always watch from the WS side.
    You know what is funny. I have probably seen IllumiNations over 100 times and I have ONLY seen it from the WS side. I have never seen it from the Future World site lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Insomniac

It is a pretty spectacular show. I usually watch from somewhere between Italy and Japan because then you get a good view of the show against the background of Spaceship Earth which gets a giant SIEMENS logo projected (lasers?) on the back of it when the show is over which is pretty cool looking. Word of warning, last time I watched it in front of the pagoda in Japan the speaker was out and it killed the energy of the show. If the speaker near you starts cutting in and out move before the show starts because it just isn't near as good if the music is quiet.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862