Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Haunted Mansion preshow (this will be a VERY unpopular opinion)

Since the Haunted Mansion is operated on an Omnimover the lines should be moving efficiently but one thing in particular slows things down and could be responsible for the long lines that this ride has and that is the preshow elevator, where only a small amount of people can board at a time and then the elevator must be brought back up to bring more people on.

Now suppose that instead of an elevator you just have stairs. Do you think that losing the preshow and replacing it with stairs leading to the loading belt that the line for the ride would move a little faster and thus shorten wait times? Do you think that option should be available for those who want to get on the ride quickly and don't want to do the preshow? Are the line problems at Haunted Mansion major enough to warrant it?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Haunted Mansion preshow (this will be a VERY unpopular opinion)

WDW's version isn't an actual elevator... the ceiling just raises, so the room actually does stretch, to an extent and gives the illusion of being an elevator (however the one at Disneyland is an elevator as it descends below ground and then you exit and go under the train tracks beyond the berm into the show building that houses the ride).

Stairs? No. It would be impractical and more time consuming that you might think. I like how the stretching room breaks it up into smaller groups of guests so the lines waiting to board the doombuggies isn't very long once you get past the stretching room. Hope that makes sense. Also, guests with disabilities or guests who can't use stairs would need accommodation.

• Marching along

I've wondered as of late why the HM suffers from such poor crowd management. The loading area (after the stretch rooms) is always a stressful, soul-crunching cluster(mess).

Wouldn't staggering the crowds outside the mansion be a better option? I'd gladly take a longer outside queue in exchange for a smooth, stressless, mob-free boarding process after the stretch rooms.

• Minion

There are two stretch rooms operating staggered.

---------- Post added 02-09-2012 at 09:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    I've wondered as of late why the HM suffers from such poor crowd management. The loading area (after the stretch rooms) is always a stressful, soul-crunching cluster(mess).
    The load area can be a bit of a zoo, can't it?

I wonder if it has anything to do with people's eyes adjusting to the light levels. I know I'm always a little disoriented after the lights come back up in the stretch room. It adds to the spooky experience, but I wonder if it also adds to the chaos a bit.

Lighting aside, though, there's also just a mad rush to the buggies. And the last few times I was there, there didn't seem to be enough CM's on hand to direct people. I wonder if it would be helpful to use some of those classy brass-and-velvet-rope-stanchions to make a couple of clear queues to funnel people from the stretch room to the belt.

From all appearances WDW HM has two separate load rooms. I have never understood why they didn't split the queue at some point between a pre-show viewing line and a walk on line and allow people that want to view the show to do so but those that do not to bypass and walk directly into the loading queue. It seems to me that it would be overall more efficient and I would personally want to see the pre-show.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

The preshow really does add to it, I think part of the reason that the HMs line gets crazy in that area is that was probably the original design, it really adds to decripit old mansion spookiness factor in my opinion...they used to say, "Please file in and fill up all available DEAD space." I haven't heard a CM there use that expressio the last 3 times I was down at the MK...

I don't think that the lines are too long or horrendous to warrant changing anything with the preshow, as it is the CMs working the mansion typically squeeze more people into the stretching room past the initial preshow to speed up the line in the rush season, and that ruins some of the set-up to the entire storyline of the Mansion IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikarus View Post
    From all appearances WDW HM has two separate load rooms. I have never understood why they didn't split the queue at some point between a pre-show viewing line and a walk on line and allow people that want to view the show to do so but those that do not to bypass and walk directly into the loading queue. It seems to me that it would be overall more efficient and I would personally want to see the pre-show.
    They do have two stretching rooms to allow for heavy loads during the busy season...the only way to skip the preshow view (that I know of) is through the wheelchair access area which brings you into the mansion via the exit to the doombuggy loading area...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

A few things to add: Florida's Mansion doesn't have elevation changes. And ditching the stretch room would remove one of the best parts of the attraction, so even in Disneyland it would not be a good change. Would it make it quicker? Sure. But that doesn't mean it would be better.

However to the crowd control mess, management seems to have a hard time understanding that 120 people per stretch room is not better than 90 people per stretch room because when you have a maximum capacity per car, and only a certain number of cars leaving load in "X" time, that you are only going to get so many people on the ride in "X" duration of time, regardless of however many people you cram in the loading area. Combine that with the ever-prevailing need to stop and slow the ride (reducing the people that can get on during "X" time) the overcrowding becomes really noticeable and uncomfortable.

They do have two stretching rooms to allow for heavy loads during the busy season...the only way to skip the preshow view (that I know of) is through the wheelchair access area which brings you into the mansion via the exit to the doombuggy loading area...
    Both stretch rooms are used on a daily basis...not just during busy season. Also, wheelchairs go through the line now and stretching rooms too, started in 2011.

I don't think putting in stairs and taking out the elevators would help anything. The elevators are to deliver people downstairs, and then we get on the Omnimover. Stairs would only be more efficient if there were gaps in the flow of people, and I don't generally see that. They open a new elevator full of people as the end of the previous group gets on the ride. More or less.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Minion

Also, if you miss the stretch room you won't be introduced to the Ghost Host!

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    However to the crowd control mess, management seems to have a hard time understanding that 120 people per stretch room is not better than 90 people per stretch room because when you have a maximum capacity per car, and only a certain number of cars leaving load in "X" time, that you are only going to get so many people on the ride in "X" duration of time, regardless of however many people you cram in the loading area. Combine that with the ever-prevailing need to stop and slow the ride (reducing the people that can get on during "X" time) the overcrowding becomes really noticeable and uncomfortable.
    This (is what I'm talking about). The inside queue should be nearly empty before dumping more people out of the stretch rooms. Too many guests crammed into the stretch rooms means too many eventually crammed into the inside queue. Add an unexpected e-stop or handicapped load stop or two and things get scary. Like literally cattle-herd, crushed together, panic-inducing scary.

It doesn't have to be this way and it didn't used to be. I'm curious to know what's changed and why. Perhaps someone with inside knowledge can share their perspective.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

I think one reason why the WDW queue is so crowded and slow is because the queue goes down to a SINGLE file line and you are forced into ti. In DL, you can stay 2 or 3 abreast until the very end. It has its issues too but it moves much more fluidly than WDWs
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

No... Stairs would kill the ride. Yes we don't like to wait, but taking away from the ride experience would kill it for me.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    Perhaps someone with inside knowledge can share their perspective.
    lol I just did. Management thinks it will better their Efficiency Efficiency Efficiency. Its all about numbers. Same reason the lighting effect was shortened in the Stretch Room after the Mansion came back from rehab in 2007. Same reason they now keep the entry doors open longer for the foyer experience, complete with two people working - to help pack more cattle into the stretch room, regardless of "show" training.

1 - Safety - Sure
    2 - Courtesy - Just don't mess up #3
    3 - Efficiency - YEAH BABY. Even though its not the same way as the old days. Do it. Then repeat this one.
    4 - 4th one?

I'm afraid I would much rather wait in a longer line with the elevator preshow than in a shorter one without it.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

The OP assumes that the slowdown to loading the ride is with the stretch rooms. But that's quite evidently not the case. The omnimovers are the slowdown to the whole process. And the crowd in the post-stretch queue is totally the result of CMs loading too many people into the stretch rooms. It doesn't allow for more people to ride the ride. It just crams more people into a small, dark space. Not at all cool.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast