Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Another NextGen disaster in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    We get angry because NutGen is being shoehorned where it doesn't belong. Why does Small World need the same techie gimmick that Test Track is getting? It further homogenizes an already increasingly bland experience.
    I think that the whole purpose of next gen really stands to show that it does in fact belong everywhere as long as it is done correctly and tastefully. all line waits (especially during busy season) are brutal and anything that can get guests off their phones and immersed in the magic as much as possible during their wdw experience as possible is a huge plus to me. however i really don't believe this should be a high priority addition simply because there are many more attractions that have much longer waits such as pan and big thunder that could use this help much more then IASW.

We get angry because, as they waste money whoring up attractions, those same attractions are physically falling apart. But hey, why worry about horrible paint jobs, exposed electrical conduit and broken animatronics when there's a shiny new TV screen to look at.
    This i agree is a touchy subject but i believe when installing said pieces of next gen to the attraction it will receive the refurb it so desperately needs. it gives the company incentive to do refurbishing while shutting down the attraction to add the "plussing" because they want a warm reception from their initial offerings so they can continue the project with enthusiasm as opposed to resentment. again i wont be a very happy guy if all they do is put flat screens on some wires and say tad-ah but i believe if they do end up doing this projections, as was suggested previously, or a variety of other methods would work nicely, the imagineers just really need to put their minds to work on it.

We get angry because, in the midst of this obession with NutGen, park and especially queue operations are inexplicably less efficient than they used to be. Wait times for Small World are noticably longer since they reversed the queue. Plus you get to spend your time looking at the dirty backside of the queue clock. Or the dirty back hallway at Space Mountain. If it worked fine for 40 years, why mess with it now? It's either total incompetence-- or perhaps they want the queues to be miserable right now. Can't sell the public a solution if there's no crisis.
    granted things have gotten less efficient over recent times but the project is still in its infancy, it needs time to be implemented to its full potential. keep in mind though this addition was never made to make lines shorter it was to make them more bearable. after a certain point there's really nothing more you can do to an attraction to make the lines move faster, after a while it has to remain at a plateau and can no longer be improved upon. i would rather be in a line that felt short but in reality was 10 mins longer then standard then a line that felt incredibly long that was 10 mins shorter then standard. its not a crisis as you suggested but an attempt to create a more full and whole experience to the attraction. also the reversing of queues has nothing to do with next gen, that is a separate decision all together in an attempt to speed up capacity.

We get angry because we know why NutGen is being introduced. And it's not about enhancing the guest experience.
    that's your opinion (opinions cant really define an entire groups views in this case as everyone's are different) but my opinion is and the only logical explanation for their introduction, is that they are to better the guest experience, and my personal experience is certainly enhanced by their presence so far. hopefully they will continue this project and develop it to greater lengths then they have already so that the line itself truly does become an attraction in its own right.

• Minion

As always i will wait to see how it plays out before i make my final judgement. This is touchy for me because ican see a way for it to work and not effect guest that are not using the new technology and i can see a way that it could ruin the experience for everyone! So crossing my fingers and waiting!
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDork101 View Post
    is't john lasseter of PIXAR still have some kinda say or anything at WDI?
    The thing about NextGen is that it's solely a TDO project that WDI is getting backed into corners with. Personally, I believe that if WDI were to have 100% creative control over the NextGen queues and experiences, we would be seeing a really neat outcome. However, TDO is severely limiting what WDI can do, therefore producing a much less than stellar product.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

His title is Chief Creative Advisor. He has never had any control over the organization. He is much like a consultant. He offers his advice, but it is not necessarily a directive.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

To those who say that the NextGen experience isn't *really* about enhancing guest experience, I then ask what it's actual purpose is? I'm assuming it relates back to TDO being greedy and wanting more money, but how exactly are they profiting from NextGen?

The postcards sent from SSE are all free, as is the Haunted Mansion queue. I didn't see any mention of a charge for making/bringing your "doll" to IASW, and Space Mountain certainly does not charge you for playing the games while you wait. So I ask again, what do you think is the "real" purpose the NextGen serves, if not to enhance guest experience?

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The thing about NextGen is that it's solely a TDO project that WDI is getting backed into corners with. Personally, I believe that if WDI were to have 100% creative control over the NextGen queues and experiences, we would be seeing a really neat outcome. However, TDO is severely limiting what WDI can do, therefore producing a much less than stellar product.
    Agreed. WDI has been doing some amazing things as of late. I would've loved to see them head the NextGen project.

Photo Via jdhilger

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I swear some people act like they're just going to put a 37" vizio TV out in the middle of a island and play clips on it.
    I think the current reaction is because:
    (a) that is what most people are envisioning.
    (b) it's entirely within the realm of possibility, and sadly, wouldn't even necessarily be all that surprising.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 02:22 PM ----------

Yes. Ask him about the Toy Story play area in DLP.

I hate to say it, as I was a believer in John, but so far it appears his primary contribution at WDI has been to push for Pixar overlays on mediocre attractions.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    I think that the whole purpose of next gen really stands to show that it does in fact belong everywhere as long as it is done correctly and tastefully.
    While I don't necessarily disagree with that in theory, in practice there hasn't been a single instance where it actually has been done correctly or tastefully. That makes me have little to no faith that it ever will be.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The thing about NextGen is that it's solely a TDO project that WDI is getting backed into corners with.
    Yet it's funded by corporate and being developed by WDI. NextGen wasn't a WDW initiative, it is/was a TWDC initiative. Just because WDW is who is buying into the deployments doesn't make it a TDO project.

The technology will find its way into most properties eventually.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    While I don't necessarily disagree with that in theory, in practice there hasn't been a single instance where it actually has been done correctly or tastefully. That makes me have little to no faith that it ever will be.
    again the program is still in its infancy. look at pooh, that was done well, the mansion in my opinion was pretty good as well, could have been better, but still successful in my books. they just need to expand on their previous work and continually improve the experience.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

My problem with the Mansion is that everything seems very haphazard and placed without much thought. I would've liked to have seen an expanded queue that led you through a graveyard, not through what seems like a temporary sideshow.

Photo Via jdhilger

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    That doesn't mean you have to spoil the fun for everyone else who does want to take part.

If voicing our opinions on keeping the integrity of classic, artful attractions would actually ruin your vacation, then you need to seek out immediate mental health care.

---------- Post added 02-12-2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

God forbid they give people something to do while the wait in line...

God forbid guests use thier brain capacity to LOOK AT and APPRECIATE ...ummm... I don't know....THE GIANT TOY CLOCK that's in the center of the room!?? Or the world icons along the facade wall and enjoy the different music loops of the theme song? Cause you know....how did we EVER breathe oxygen from 1955-2009 without screens and games in queues.
    I never said it would ruin my vacation? Judging by your anger, though, if one of us needs to seek out immediate mental health care, I don't think it's me.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by napeterson18 View Post
    My problem with the Mansion is that everything seems very haphazard and placed without much thought. I would've liked to have seen an expanded queue that led you through a graveyard, not through what seems like a temporary sideshow.
    Why? Because a graveyard was there before? This sounds like 'I'm comfortable with what has already been done before...'
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    again the program is still in its infancy. look at pooh, that was done well, the mansion in my opinion was pretty good as well, could have been better, but still successful in my books. they just need to expand on their previous work and continually improve the experience.
    If their intention was to improve their work, they would be improving on one project before moving on to the next.

• 東京ディズニーシーに行きたい

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Why? Because a graveyard was there before? This sounds like 'I'm comfortable with what has already been done before...'
    No, I never really considered to be walking through a graveyard in the original Haunted Mansion queue. Rather, next to the gates of one. I meant that I would've rather traveled through a cemetery. Enter through wrought iron gates and file through rows of tombstones. Have some interactive elements in there and I think it would've been great.

What's there now does not feel like a graveyard. It feels like they just kind of randomly placed pieces with no real thought to the overall composition. I mean, what am I supposed to walking through? I still don't really understand where I am going/supposed to be while walking through that queue.

Photo Via jdhilger

• Insomniac

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I think the very first "Nextgen" type queue was Disneyland's Indiana jones and it was, is, and appears it will continue to be the best interactive queue ever created by WDI. I think a lot of it has to do with Disney/ TDO wanting to put it on rides not designed with it in place. It has been shoehorned into attractions that weren't designed for it and it shows. I'm not saying that it can't be added to attractions that weren't designed to have it, but it so far has not been done up to the quality it should be. I actually really liked the Space Mountain one but it still seemed kind of out of place. If WDI has the funding and isn't forced into doing projects that go against the companies original values, then it CAN be done tastefully. But if not then we get Haunted Mansion queue and TV's in its a small world.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast