Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Another NextGen disaster in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I swear some people act like they're just going to put a 37" vizio TV out in the middle of a island and play clips on it.
    I lol'd at this.

That is funny, because they've never just added show via simple tvs that play clips.

I dunno. I'll take the flaming for this, but this isn't the worst idea to come out of Next Gen. Not that I don't agree with whoever said Peter Pan could use this first (queue at least).

• Movie buff, Disney nut.

I give it a decade more until Cory Doctorow's "Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom" becomes a reality, sans the Whuffie.
    There's no such thing as too many books. Now go bring the 18-wheeler around.

• Future Imagineer

Do we know if Big Thunder will receive the NextGen stamp in this current refurb? . . . I for one am 60/40 (pro/not) on the NextGen project. Space Mtn I thought was cool and fun, Pooh was good, Mansion seemed kind of haphazard (as was said before). . . . But I am iffy on IASW, with the tvs and such. . .
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney

• Closed Account

WDW is being reinvented. Into a giant video game/interactive experience that datamines its guests information when they are busy playing life size video games in the parks.
    It's too late to turn back. It's like a runaway train that isn't stopping till it goes through the station full blast, derails and explodes. Kinda like the dream scene in Hugo

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyFREAK242 View Post
    Do we know if Big Thunder will receive the NextGen stamp in this current refurb? . . . I for one am 60/40 (pro/not) on the NextGen project. Space Mtn I thought was cool and fun, Pooh was good, Mansion seemed kind of haphazard (as was said before). . . . But I am iffy on IASW, with the tvs and such. . .
    I haven't heard anything, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. The budget situation at WDW is so whack, the only reasons you're going to get the money for a major refurb is if the ride is unsafe or if they want to install something new.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I haven't heard anything, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. The budget situation at WDW is so whack, the only reasons you're going to get the money for a major refurb is if the ride is unsafe or if they want to install something new.
    hyperboyle and shows people really don't follow all the activities happening at the property only jump in when high profile or controversial things come up.

Look at the last Swiss Family Treehouse rehab for a counter example
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

I love the new HM queue, and the new Pooh one is charming. Sorry, but I don't feel an obligation to jump on the hysterical purist bandwagon.

Look, it doesn't change the ride, and it makes long waits much more palatable. And, as others have pointed out, it's not like anyone is forced to participate. Bottom line: the new interactive queues are fun. And isn't fun what a theme park is all about?

In many cases, I wish that the company today was more like Walt. But this isn't one of them. In Walt's day, a queue consisted of a bunch of chain link switchbacks. Now a queue gives you something to see and/or do. That's not an improvement?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I love the new HM queue, and the new Pooh one is charming. Sorry, but I don't feel an obligation to jump on the hysterical purist bandwagon.
    Well, then it's a good thing there isn't one here for you to jump on.

I'll keep repeating it: nobody's arguing against change qua change. The people who don't like the current crop of NextGen additions seem to me to have done a pretty good job of articulating the reasons they fail to be impressed.

I like the Pooh queue; I wouldn'thave counted it as NextGen because it doesn't use cutting-edge technology. However, it wasn't built to withstand the pressure it would take, and elements are often broken.

---------- Post added 02-14-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

hyperboyle and shows people really don't follow all the activities happening at the property only jump in when high profile or controversial things come up.

Yes, most trends do have exceptions. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

• WDW will always be home.

To a certain extent I think you're both right. The problem isn't that rehabs, refurbs, and improvements aren't happening - there are tons of examples one could point to to show that they are. The problem is that there is no overarching vision, direction, rhyme, or reason to what gets spruced up and when, and available funds for said sprucing can vary widely among different operational departments. That's why you'll have an absolutely gorgeous rehab on the Swiss Family Treehouse, while Splash Mountain is quite literally falling apart.

FoxxFur addressed this problem in-depth in her 2011 year-end report: *Passport to Dreams Old & New: Passport to Dreams Year End Report, 2011
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes, most trends do have exceptions. That doesn't mean they don't exist.
    Its just one example... the hyperboyle that only work happens when this stuff you are so against is happening (or unsafe) simply isn't true.

Look at BTMRR right now, they are rebuilding static ride structures in addition to doing core work. All the lifecycle work WDW does simply goes ignored by those who want to jump and down over the company's other initiatives to add new initiatives.

We can go back and look at the carosaul too just finished up.. no nextgen, no 'unsafe' crap. They do this type of structural overhaul constantly. EPCOT has had tons of this done lately including virtually complete ground up rebuilds in Japan, etc. But those kinds of things are completely ignored when we need to stomp our feet.

Yes, they seem to have different operational standards in terms of what they will allow slide - but that doesn't mean they don't do anything.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual Toad View Post
    We get angry because NutGen is being shoehorned where it doesn't belong. Why does Small World need the same techie gimmick that Test Track is getting? It further homogenizes an already increasingly bland experience.

We get angry because, as they waste money whoring up attractions, those same attractions are physically falling apart. But hey, why worry about horrible paint jobs, exposed electrical conduit and broken animatronics when there's a shiny new TV screen to look at.

We get angry because, in the midst of this obession with NutGen, park and especially queue operations are inexplicably less efficient than they used to be. Wait times for Small World are noticably longer since they reversed the queue. Plus you get to spend your time looking at the dirty backside of the queue clock. Or the dirty back hallway at Space Mountain. If it worked fine for 40 years, why mess with it now? It's either total incompetence-- or perhaps they want the queues to be miserable right now. Can't sell the public a solution if there's no crisis.

We get angry because we know why NutGen is being introduced. And it's not about enhancing the guest experience.
    You're completely wrong!

And it's not "NutGen". It's NEXTGen! People like you don't seem to understand. This is not something to get so bent out of shape over.

Aladdin6592 is totally right!

• Minion

I only get upset when these NextGen enhancements are not appropriate for the specific attraction. If they don't fit in, they don't belong.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    I think the very first "Nextgen" type queue was Disneyland's Indiana jones and it was, is, and appears it will continue to be the best interactive queue ever created by WDI. I think a lot of it has to do with Disney/ TDO wanting to put it on rides not designed with it in place. It has been shoehorned into attractions that weren't designed for it and it shows. I'm not saying that it can't be added to attractions that weren't designed to have it, but it so far has not been done up to the quality it should be. I actually really liked the Space Mountain one but it still seemed kind of out of place. If WDI has the funding and isn't forced into doing projects that go against the companies original values, then it CAN be done tastefully. But if not then we get Haunted Mansion queue and TV's in its a small world.
    Did you read Flynnibus' post:

"Yet it's funded by corporate and being developed by WDI. NextGen wasn't a WDW initiative, it is/was a TWDC initiative. Just because WDW is who is buying into the deployments doesn't make it a TDO project.

The technology will find its way into most properties eventually."

I am sorry, but I think people are overreacting to this whole thing. I would prefer if Walt Disney World moved their attention on rides,parades, etc. It is an activity with electronics. What is the harm?
    Last edited by Spongeocto4; 02-19-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: spacing

I heard about this a while back and it disgusts me. It personally affects me even if I never ride iasw again. That ride is not only one of the most artistically pure creations in the parks, it's also one of the most thematically noble things the company ever built. I felt dirty just reading about what they did to the original California version, and reading about this turns my stomach. Money-grubbing vultures trying to squeeze another cheap, easy dollar out of one of the rare things in this world that's good, decent, and innocent.
    As much as I agree with what IASW represents to many who ride it, let's not forget that Walt rushed this attraction to market for Pepsi. I like the new elements in the HM queue and I like even better that I can bypass them if I choose to.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast