Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Member of Baxter's Army

Another NextGen disaster in the making.

After destroying the finale to Spaceship Earth and turning the Haunted Mansion Queue into a McDonald's playground Disney's NextGen geniuses are at it again.

http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-...e-queue-19606/
    We thought a few years back that the addition of Disney Characters and America scene would do damage to the attraction, This makes that look like a minor dent. While it might not do much I propose we bring back the "Save the Small World" Campaign. This will be much worse than the character additions. We need to speak out! Polish your pitchforks everyone.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35TbGjt-weA
    Last edited by HMF; 02-11-2012 at 03:33 PM.

• Minion

Re: Another NextGen disaster in the making.

ORDDU: While my sisters and I are certainly not fans of this NextGen thing, we aren't clear enough on how this Small World interactive situation would impact us in a negative way--especially if we don't choose to participate. Maybe we're missing something here. Would someone care to explain further?

• Minion

I heard about this a while back and it disgusts me. It personally affects me even if I never ride iasw again. That ride is not only one of the most artistically pure creations in the parks, it's also one of the most thematically noble things the company ever built. I felt dirty just reading about what they did to the original California version, and reading about this turns my stomach. Money-grubbing vultures trying to squeeze another cheap, easy dollar out of one of the rare things in this world that's good, decent, and innocent.

Y'all are ridiculous. If you don't want to take part in the NextGen queues, then don't. That doesn't mean you have to spoil the fun for everyone else who does want to take part.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, us cauldron girls still don't understand enough about all this to have an opinion one way or another. What's it all about--Alphie?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

This may be unconfirmed...but seems to me the objectionable bit isn't customizing Small World style dolls in line or at home so much, as the idea that they'd add video screens along the way in the ride showing said limited animation characters of guests doing things in presumably the same space as the pre-existing scenes. That would be negatively impacting the ride experience and unnecessary, if turned out to be true, to my way of thinking.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

hmmm
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

I'm open to it.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    This may be unconfirmed...but seems to me the objectionable bit isn't customizing Small World style dolls in line or at home so much, as the idea that they'd add video screens along the way in the ride showing said limited animation characters of guests doing things in presumably the same space as the pre-existing scenes. That would be negatively impacting the ride experience and unnecessary, if turned out to be true, to my way of thinking.
    Agreed, much in the same way that the DL version was heavily criticized for losing the message of world peace and togetherness, when the kids only focus on looking for their own doll creation, they're going to miss the message of the attraction.

Overall though, I've been quite disappointed in this "next gen" stuff so far
    My Blog: http://imagineeringmind.wordpress.com

Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    Y'all are ridiculous. If you don't want to take part in the NextGen queues, then don't. That doesn't mean you have to spoil the fun for everyone else who does want to take part.
    As RegionsBeyond pointed out, this wouldn't be just limited to the queue. Sure, you can easily bypass the HM NextGen queue, but these rumored changes to It's A Small World would affect the ride experience in the form of video screens placed throughout the ride.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of that concept, as the video screens and digital representations of dolls would stand out enormously with the very stylized and 3-Demensional sets they would be placed in.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disney is going to want those who chose not to participate to realize they are not participating because this is supposedly part of an upcharge experience.

• Banned User

hey at least there (Disney) is gutting the ride (ie: Mr. Toads wild ride and The Country Bears!!) On my last visit to Disneyland, not to long ago, I seen the Disney characters added into the ride and they seem to bled in nicely and DOESN'T really "hurt" the attraction at all, and I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the original.
    Last edited by DisneyDork101; 02-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDork101 View Post
    hey at least there (Disney) is gutting the ride (ie: Mr. Toads wild ride and The Country Bears!!) On my last visit to Disneyland, not to long ago, I seen the Disney characters added into the ride and they seem to bled in nicely and DOESN'T really "hurt" the attraction at all, and I'm a HUGE HUGE fan of the original.
    They obviously did not blend in all that well since you saw them.

Disney has no interest in hiding this feature if it really is part of a paid package.

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDork101 View Post
    In credit to the Imagineers who worked on the Character additions they did manage to blend them somewhat well. If adding the Characters to Small World is a misdemeanor , This is a FELONY. If only we could get the Blair family involved like last time.

• Inhospitable about happy

Like the character additions, what this shows is that WDI no longer understands the ride itself. What is Small World? How does it function as a work of art (which is certainly is)? It is a counterbalance to all the rides revolving around stories and characters that celebrate the individual who triumphs over adversity and becomes who they really are (Dumbo, Peter Pan, Pinocchio, etc.). Their message is, "We're all different, and each of us needs to find ourselves and be our true selves."

Small World and Small World alone
    gives us the necessary other side of the coin. It says, "On the other hand, we're all alike. No one is unique. Your experiences are such as are common to all mankind." That's why there are not supposed to be "characters" of any kind in the ride, only generic children from all lands.

This latest NextGen celebration of hyperindividuality ("Construct a unique 'small world' doll that looks just like you!!!!!") is utterly and absolutely at variance with the point of the ride. It goes against the very reason the ride exists as an artwork.

And look at the HM queue. Another example.

WDI no longer has people in charge that understand their own rides. What a travesty.
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast