EPCOT Food and Wine Festival

I've been the the world many times, but we have never been for the food and wine festival. We are thinking of going this year. We like food and wine so it sounds like a win win

My question is how does it work? Is there an extra charge or do you "pay as you go"? Is it just samples, or full meals? How much extra can I expect to pay per person to do a good sampling? Any and all info you can give me would be a great help.

Thanks !

Re: EPCOT Food and Wine Festival

It's a lot like food faires everywhere else. Each "booth" has a set menu with sample size entrees and you walk from "booth" to "booth" ordering food that you like. I actually ended up saving a lot of money hitting the Festival. The portion sizes actually make a lot of sense, so I had a nice three course meal without eating way too much.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

It's pay as you go. There are stands set up around World Showcase for the various countries featured. What you get are not full meals though. Pretty much sample size (just a few bites of each dish), and kind of overpriced, so if you eat something at every food booth, you're going to spend a lot of money as prices are starting at around $4 or $5 or more for as I mentioned, just a few bites. But it's fun to experience at least once, so don't think I'm trying to scare you off on doing it.

As for the portion sizes, while they may not look like full meals, the caloric intake easily surpasses what one needs for dinner. If I plan to eat around 2000 calories a day, and I plan to walk about three miles (so roughly another 300 calories burnt), then for my dinner, I only need 700-800 calories, assuming I had no snacks during the day. Even with a possible 100 calorie deficit, I'd have to do that for over 30 days to lose just one pound.

Each portion size at the faire is easily 250-300 calories unless you get a non-cream soup. The food doesn't need to take up a lot of space on the plate to be calorie dense. When thinking of less dense food, think of things like chicken breasts (about 90-100) and veggies. When thinking of super dense, think of a tablespoon of olive oil, about 100 calories.

Also, if you get soda, a 16 oz cup of soda will give you another 180-240 calories. Now, throw in a small desert for another 200-300, and you're almost to 1000 calories, way past what is needed.

Also, don't forget about the liquid calories you're consuming during the day. If you go the soda route instead of water, you can easily consume 500 liquid calories at lunch with one soda refill. And I've seen folks go through 3-4 soda refills while eating lunch.

In other words, don't worry about the small portion sizes.

I feel that if you're not drinking diet soda, you're not serious about your calorie balance in the first place. Drinking calories is pretty much the first thing to go in any eating plan.

N.B.: So, if you're going to drink alcohol, stick to bourbon, neat or on the rocks... A little goes a long way...

While I do watch what I eat these days, I'M ON VACATION!

The portion size wasn't so much an issue as the cost for THAT portion size. I would be happy to nibble my way around the world, but I really don't want to pay for a full plate each stop.

As for the drinking, water is always the best way to go. On the other hand if I'm going to drink some calories I'd rather sample the wine.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

We went last year and it was a lot of fun. I would say the average plate was about $4 to $5. Each plate was about 2 to 3 bites. We probably bought about 10 plates and split it between 3 of us so that we can get a taste in most areas.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Go for it, it's so much fun!! Bring that credit card, be prepared to be waiting in lines all day and to spend a lot of money, another 50 to 100 per person, depending on how much you can eat. It's an absolute blast!

• Minion

sarcasm from the detractors aside, Food and wine is one of my favorite times of the year, i love it its a lot of fun and hopefully you love it as much as i do .

There isn't a year I have not attending the Food and Wine Festival. It's my favorite festival Disney has next to Star Wars weekend. Anyways, with what I spend on the plates and drinks during that time (and I share with my boyfriend) we spend about the same eating around the world and have it equal or be less then what we normally spend on a sit down dinner. So regardless of the meals being between $2-$5 it's still worth it.