Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

The recent Q&A with Imagineer Joe Rohde on the Disney Parks Blog hints at the fact that the project is still alive. I think this is the first time its been mentioned on the blog since they posted pictures of Joe and James Cameron exploring the parks. Quotes from the article:
    (Interviewer) I recently had the opportunity to chat with Joe about the award and his career at Walt Disney Imagineering – which has included such enormous projects as Disney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park; Expedition Everest; Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa; and the upcoming AVATAR project at Walt Disney World Resort.
    (Joe Rohde) When I think about the AVATAR story and Disney’s Animal Kingdom, I see the value systems that underlie both. We have the opportunity to tell that story in a way that will make the AVATAR experience feel like a natural part of Disney’s Animal Kingdom.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Why would the official company blog say anything other than the official, vague company line?

Why would they keep blowing their whistles and get people's hopes up about something if they knew for a fact that it was never going to be? Thats just flat out bad publicity.

Yeah, its vague, but I don't see anyone presenting even vague information that supports the rumor that the project is dead.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Bob Iger only commenting only after being asked (this project will be the second largest at Parks and Resorts come June) and a comment lacking passion is hardly blowing any whistles. If the anything the latter just looks like a means of trying to hide the embarrassment of the former.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Bob Iger only commenting only after being asked (this project will be the second largest at Parks and Resorts come June) and a comment lacking passion is hardly blowing any whistles. If the anything the latter just looks like a means of trying to hide the embarrassment of the former.
    I wonder if this is really getting the shaft how the heck is Disney going to announce it? It's not like Western River expedition where they can just remove all proof of it's existence.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    I wonder if this is really getting the shaft how the heck is Disney going to announce it? It's not like Western River expedition where they can just remove all proof of it's existence.
    Same way, say nothing. See Pleasure Island as an example. If asked, they could use the same line, "we are continuing to explore exciting possibilities." In a few years Iger will be gone and people will not be concerned with maintaining his legacy.

I honestly have to ask, what was Iger supposed to say about Avatar? There's nothing really he could have said, so there was no need to say anything. Its not like he can update on anything because at best the Imagineers (at the time of the meeting) had been working on it for 3 months and theres nothing to report other than that they're thinking up ideas. And if Disney started talking about every project they're getting ideas for, the shareholder meeting would last hours longer than it already does.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

He could have just said what he said when he was asked. The large financial scope of the partnership with Cameron and the announced land are why it, and not other projects, is worthy of being mentioned at the Shareholder's Meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Same way, say nothing. See Pleasure Island as an example. If asked, they could use the same line, "we are continuing to explore exciting possibilities." In a few years Iger will be gone and people will not be concerned with maintaining his legacy.
    Hmmm that is pretty sad that such a big company can't just admit they screwed up.

• Minion

Hmmm that is pretty sad that such a big company can't just admit they screwed up.
    lol name one publicly traded company that actually does admit that ever?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol name one publicly traded company that actually does admit that ever?
    HTC one of the bigger phone makers admitted they screwed up with recent phones.

• Minion

HTC one of the bigger phone makers admitted they screwed up with recent phones.
    figure of speech, thank you for taking it literally.

fact is almost all major companies don't do this because they don't want to hurt their image. look at the recent economic crisis in the us for countless examples of that, no one ever said the leaders of these companies were the most honest bunch, every piece of news is carefully spun and Disney is no different.

• Banned User

AK needs something. I saw a lot of potential in a land based on Avatar. If that bites the dust, it's time to revive plans for Beastly Kingdom.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I think we should have a moment of silence for creativity and originality at Disney... R.I.P.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Closed Account

There's no way I'm believing it's canceled. I think the people claiming this at other sites are just fishing for attention to supplement their supposed insider status or whatever. The thing appears to be very early in the design stages, and people are taking advantage of the relative silence of that early design phase to produce rumors. Some rumors may come from actual CMs, but god knows 99% of those CM produced rumors are preposterous.

I also hear "Disney would never admit this or say anything" theory being tossed around a lot. That would be all fine and dandy except for the fact that James Cameron is very outspoken and would probably spill the beans on that subject if it were true. That guy doesn't really care about upsetting corporate entities. He straight up bashes Alien vs. Predator on a regular basis and the studio that produced that film is the one he usually works for. So I'm going with what the CEO says in this case. He's the one in charge regardless.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM