Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

An Avatar scene has been added today to CinéMagique, a show of the Walt Disney Studios Park in Disneyland Paris.

It's a good piece of news for Animal Kingdom because it's a piece of evidence that Avatar can come to Walt Disney World!
    Last edited by Fultimate; 04-20-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fultimate View Post
    An Avatar scene has been added today to CinéMagique, a ride of the Walt Disney Studios Park in Disneyland Paris.

It's a good piece of news for Animal Kingdom because it's a piece of evidence that Avatar can come to Walt Disney World!
    Isn't there a clip of Avatar in The Great Movie Ride already?

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Isn't there a clip of Avatar in The Great Movie Ride already?
    According to the Wiki Article about it, which was last edited on the 18th of April, No it is not List of The Great Movie Ride films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

personally I think that it's just an ok movie it's just the SFX that made it that big of a seller, and I like Cameron
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    According to the Wiki Article about it, which was last edited on the 18th of April, No it is not List of The Great Movie Ride films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

personally I think that it's just an ok movie it's just the SFX that made it that big of a seller, and I like Cameron
    Of course it's the SFX which made the movie, otherwise it's cowboys vs. indians in SPACE! Seriously thought I can't seem to find a video of the clip show at the end of the ride, I'm sure it's there.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 04-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.

• Closed Account

The movie had a good story. I don't think it would have been as successful as it was without it. People referring to it like it was a Michael Bay film is a real head scratcher. I think there's some resentment just based on the fact it was so big. If it was more of a sleeper hit, the same internet personalities would probably be praising it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kei View Post
    The movie had a good story. I don't think it would have been as successful as it was without it. People referring to it like it was a Michael Bay film is a real head scratcher. I think there's some resentment just based on the fact it was so big. If it was more of a sleeper hit, the same internet personalities would probably be praising it.
    No just no. I doubt anyone is saying it's on the same level as one of Bays "all explosions, no substance" movies but the story wasn't new or presented in an original way other then putting everything in SPACE!

• Senior Minion

I think there's some resentment just based on the fact it was so big. If it was more of a sleeper hit, the same internet personalities would probably be praising it.
    Sorry, the ad hominem "resentment" theory doesn't work. As the hundreds of posts on this site attest, the dislike of Avatar is based on the fact that people feel the story sucked (a blatant ripoff of other stories); the dialogue sucked (it was flat and insipid); and there were no memorable characters (a year after the movie came out, most folks who'd seen it couldn't even remember their names). And of concern to Disney, it generated no merchandise sales. Great visuals and great tech, but that was about it.

Let's face it, a franchise that is founded on little more than the novelty of its eyecandy, and is humongously expensive, and is controlled by one of Hollywood's most gigantic egos, is not something that's going to serve Disney well in the long term.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 04-21-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

And I'm sure that small amount of people would have said the thing about Harry Potter. Look how that turned out. Sometimes Disney should ignore the tiny amount of forum people because it's in their economic interests.
    Are you part of TDO? In that case maybe we should bulldoze EPCOT to build a Titanic land, cause that will help them financially. Seriously Disney has LOADS of stuff thewy could use yet they chose to outsource, how is this the best solution to raise gate numbers?

The same people that complain about that will probably go to the next Batman film without spending one single second thinking about how utterly unoriginal that film is.
    Really? "Just because we did it for Avatar you'll do it for Batman".

• Insomniac

Are you part of TDO? In that case maybe we should bulldoze EPCOT to build a Titanic land, cause that will help them financially. Seriously Disney has LOADS of stuff thewy could use yet they chose to outsource, how is this the best solution to raise gate numbers?
    Bingo! They are outsourcing because they think since Avatar made a Billion dollars that it will be a safe bet to compete with Harry Potter. Instead of utilizing the franchises they already have! And really Bob Iger needs to actually do something a little more risky than throw the next franchise in the parks because it's safe! How about you dump avatar and build Beastly Kingdom? Way better theme that fits perfectly with the park, doesn't rely on outside franchises (no excess fees!), and doesn't rely on the franchise to make or break the attractions (it relies on the attractions themselves!).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• Future Imagineer! =D

Yeah...didn't like Avatar at all. I found it boring, unoriginal, and way way too overhyped. Maybe it's because I'm typically not into those sci-fi like movies. I mean, come on Disney. Is building an Avatarland really necessary? How about something original? Avatar is already forgotten about by most, a thing of the past
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Yeah...didn't like Avatar at all. I found it boring, unoriginal, and way way too overhyped. Maybe it's because I'm typically not into those sci-fi like movies. I mean, come on Disney. Is building an Avatarland really necessary? How about something original? Avatar is already forgotten about by most, a thing of the past
    Most sequels in big franchises make more than the original. Just track the numbers. The sequels are going to be huge. If Disney throws this gravy train away, a lot of people at this commonly referred to "TDO" should resign for incompetence.

Most sequels in big franchises make more than the original. Just track the numbers. The sequels are going to be huge. If Disney throws this gravy train away, a lot of people at this commonly referred to "TDO" should resign for incompetence.
    And what tells us with such a big gap between both films it will do as well?

• Not a Crook

Many sequels have also not grossed as much at the box office, or bombed completely. Sequels, such as the sequels to Tim Burton's Batman films and the Matrix sequels, have also managed to destroy franchises and even generated ill will towards the original, initially well regarded movies. There's no real way to predict what the Avatar sequels will do, since we have no solid information about them at all. They could revive interest in the series and make it a longstanding franchise, or they could also make it a punchline that is quickly forgotten. Universal had the safety net that even if the remaining Potter movies were terrible, the fan following for the books was already well established and enduring. The future impression of Avatar is a great unknown at this point, and basing such a huge expansion on it is a major gamble. If they're going to take a risk, I'd rather it be on something original that has a chance of enduring past current pop culture, or at least based on something which they have complete creative control of.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Closed Account

And what tells us with such a big gap between both films it will do as well?
    They'll still be huge. The fact we're having this conversation is kind of ludicrous. You seem to be partly in denial I think.

These are the numbers for the first Avatar film:

Budget $237 million[3]
    $9 million+ (Re-release)[2]
    Box office $2,782,275,172[4][5]

That's almost 3 billion dollars. Please point me to the last Disney movie that made that much. Oh wait you can't, because no other movie in the history of man has made that much money purely off of its box office receipts.

Due to logical trends related to how hype for sequels to already very successful films work, I predict the sequel will make even more. And even if it only makes a third of that, it will still be a ridiculously gigantic success.

They'll still be huge. The fact we're having this conversation is kind of ludicrous. You seem to be partly in denial I think.

These are the numbers for the first Avatar film:

Budget $237 million[3]
    $9 million+ (Re-release)[2]
    Box office $2,782,275,172[4][5]

That's almost 3 billion dollars. Please point me to the last Disney movie that made that much. Oh wait you can't, because no other movie in the history of man has made that much money purely off of its box office receipts.

Due to logical trends related to how hype for sequels to already very successful films work, I predict the sequel will make even more. And even if it only makes a third of that, it will still be a ridiculously gigantic success.
    Right Avatar 2 which will be released 7 years after the original will make more the 2.7 billion dollars. That seems extremely far fetched, also how the hell is Cameron going to top the visuals of Avatar 1?
    Last edited by Twist1234; 04-21-2012 at 03:09 PM.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM