Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Unhelpful User

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

If the Avatar attraction gets canned, then I think Disney need to consider using the money earmarked for Avatar for a complete overhaul of Epcot's Future World, it needs it real badly, and it is full of lame and hideous attractions. All the old Epcot attractions all need to be brought back, Horizons, World of Motion, original Journey Into Imagination you name it needs to be brought back, and think of something to put in the old Wonders of Life pavilion, can't stand seeing empty pavilions and space.

• Closed Account

Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin - all evidence that an attraction need not be based on a "franchise" or known intellectual property in order to be mega-popular. You can throw the Tower of Terror in there, too (when was the last time kids sat down to watch the Twilight Zone?).

Make a high quality attraction and word will spread and people will come.

• Reforming Lurker

I was really looking forward to walking through Pandora at night, flying on a banshee and seeing how Imagineers were gonna pull off living, breathing Na'vi. It seems like too many people were hung up on the movie itself and couldn't see the kinds of experiences that movie could yield.

If this project has been canceled, then Disney has lost out on the chance to work with one of the most brilliant and driven people in all of entertainment, an inventor and innovator who could have had an immeasurable effect on Imagineering for years to come. (But hey, he wrote some bad dialogue, so I guess that other stuff doesn't matter, huh.)

What's the next big thing, then? The answer would be pretty clear, if MK hadn't already committed to the Fantasyland expansion: Pirates of the Caribbean.

That franchise shows no signs of slowing down, and an expansion of its presence at Magic Kingdom could be done. There's room around the original show building for more attractions; heck, you could even do a pirate battle show on the Seven Seas Lagoon and charge extra admission for it.

Crazy? Yes. But no crazier than building Pandora at Animal Kingdom.
    "I really do have love to give. I just don't know where to put it."

When is construction on Avatarland supposed to begin? Then we will definitely know about it.

Maybe they are just scaling down the project a bit and hopefully add it to DHS.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    I was really looking forward to walking through Pandora at night, flying on a banshee and seeing how Imagineers were gonna pull off living, breathing Na'vi. It seems like too many people were hung up on the movie itself and couldn't see the kinds of experiences that movie could yield.

If this project has been canceled, then Disney has lost out on the chance to work with one of the most brilliant and driven people in all of entertainment, an inventor and innovator who could have had an immeasurable effect on Imagineering for years to come. (But hey, he wrote some bad dialogue, so I guess that other stuff doesn't matter, huh.)

What's the next big thing, then? The answer would be pretty clear, if MK hadn't already committed to the Fantasyland expansion: Pirates of the Caribbean.

That franchise shows no signs of slowing down, and an expansion of its presence at Magic Kingdom could be done. There's room around the original show building for more attractions; heck, you could even do a pirate battle show on the Seven Seas Lagoon and charge extra admission for it.

Crazy? Yes. But no crazier than building Pandora at Animal Kingdom.
    Well I don't think people were just hung up on the plot of the movie or even its quality on the whole. the primary argument along with that and questions of its longevity were that it just does not in any way shape or form belong in DAK. It doesn't fit anything close to the theme and I'm glad there are rumors of its demise.

As for Pirates, I think its a little late to jump on that ship (pardon the pun). I mean what are they on the like 5th movie now? I think they really need to wrap it up and create one big awesome finale with this next one. Although #4 was a financial success, it was arguably the worst of the 4 made so far. hopefully they don't just murder this great series and make it go out with a bang, i.e. bringing back orlando bloom, keira knightly and make the best one yet. Getting back on track however if they do THIS then by all means do an addition to adventure land, if they do a 5th, 6th, 7th film of worse and worse quality and let it fade out with a whimper just to ring the last bit of cash out, then don't.

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    There's two ways to compete with universal. the way you and many others describe, a type of punch for punch system where universal releases potter and Disney counters ect, is the totally wrong way to go about it in my opinion. Disney parks will never really hurt and they will never be surpassed by Universal Parks economically for a variety of rather obvious reasons, however if they wish to compete on a resort quality level they should make a large amount of smaller additions instead of just one big land. Filling in the quality gaps that turn some people off, making a few new e-ticket additions, and with a smaller land such as Australia, that would do wonders to counter potter.
    Agreed. WDW beats Universal head to head because of the size, scope and variety of the overall resort experience. Focus on that, develop and hype new original attractions with all the energy you can muster and-- if the Disney quality and spirit are really there-- people will come.

Sadly WDW has fallen victim to the DisneyParks marketing mentality. Promoting WDW and Disneyland as interchangable experiences doesn't work. You're not telling people about all the amazing stuff WDW has to offer.

Pirates and princesses and teacups and Dumbo are a sad, sad way to market the overall WDW experience.

Universal builds and promotes franchises like HP because they have to.

Disney should remember what made WDW #1 in the first place and get back to doing what they used to do best.

Hi guys....

Occasional lurker since the site's inception, but I almost never post.

This Avatarland thing has me really had me thinking since it's announcement and this rumor has now got me thinking more...

Forgive me if my thought has been previously discussed, but haven't read every thread on here...

Carsland sounds/looks like the best thing Disney has done in ages. I think it should come to DHS.....way better idea than Avatar.....BUT.....what's been on my mind is: Why not Star Wars Land? I can't think of any property that anyone owns that could be stronger than Potter than SW.

It is everything that Avatar isn't. #1: Proven lasting power. SW is what, 35 years old now and is in many more relevant than ever? #2 - Cross generational appeal. My 80 father and 2 year old son both LOVE Star Wars. #3 - Diversity of characters and locals. (It's more than 11 foot tall blue cats) #4 - Great merchandise appeal.

Do I need to state the obvious about the popularity of Star Wars Weekends and Star Tours? Their long term relationship in the parks with Lucas?

Am I just stating things that have been discussed ad naseum on here? (Forgive me if so!) I just think it's so obvious that it just makes too much sense....maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Well I am really sad if this is true! I was really looking forward it.

They should STOP expanding and fix what they already have!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    They should STOP expanding and fix what they already have!
    ^this

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Time will tell with this rumor. I just wan a bold vision... is that too much to ask for?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Peabody View Post
    Hi guys....

Occasional lurker since the site's inception, but I almost never post.

This Avatarland thing has me really had me thinking since it's announcement and this rumor has now got me thinking more...

Forgive me if my thought has been previously discussed, but haven't read every thread on here...

Carsland sounds/looks like the best thing Disney has done in ages. I think it should come to DHS.....way better idea than Avatar.....BUT.....what's been on my mind is: Why not Star Wars Land? I can't think of any property that anyone owns that could be stronger than Potter than SW.

It is everything that Avatar isn't. #1: Proven lasting power. SW is what, 35 years old now and is in many more relevant than ever? #2 - Cross generational appeal. My 80 father and 2 year old son both LOVE Star Wars. #3 - Diversity of characters and locals. (It's more than 11 foot tall blue cats) #4 - Great merchandise appeal.

Do I need to state the obvious about the popularity of Star Wars Weekends and Star Tours? Their long term relationship in the parks with Lucas?

Am I just stating things that have been discussed ad naseum on here? (Forgive me if so!) I just think it's so obvious that it just makes too much sense....maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks!

Glad you came out of the woodwork. I think most of us (myself included) would prefer something Star Wars related. It's already been established in the Disney Theme Parks lore as something people have come to love and expect from a "Disney" experience. It's family entertainment for all ages.

If you think about it, they already have two Star Wars attractions: Star Tours and Jedi Training Academy. With the annual Star Wars Weekends, people can't get enough year after year. This is the no brainer thing that Disney should be trying to pull-off.

BUT.... Animal Kingdom is still in need of help here if Avatar isn't going to do the job. DHS has Fantasmic to help push the operating hours later. Animal Kingdom would need a lot more to make it a nighttime destination as well.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Minion

Word from WDWMagic is that the concept is being hindered by conflicts between the Imagineers and James Cameron's Ego on how it should be executed. Cameron shot down a Soarin' With Banshees concept and doesn't want as much of a screen-based experience. Plus with the sequels being delayed and the response being rather lukewarm, the concept might just shrivel up and die.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Word from WDWMagic is that the concept is being hindered by conflicts between the Imagineers and James Cameron's Ego on how it should be executed.
    Not surprising if that turns out to be the case -- Ego Wars were predicted from the start.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Disney Freak

I don't think Avatarland (kind of a lame name, by the way) fits into Disney. The Na'vi all run around in skimpy clothing, and (I've never seen it, but) isn't the whole movie about war? I agree that they could do some cool things with a foreign planet movie (which Star Wars is, too), but it simply isn't Disney. Not just because it's not their original creation, either. It's PG-13, easily forgotten (my friend saw it opening night and only remembers skimpy smurfs), and the Na'vi things are neither people nor animals.
    And if they're trying to compete with Harry Potter... Well, just don't try to compete with Harry Potter. Kids grew up with him, and now that they can go visit the land they've only read about, of course they're going to go. Even if the shops are the size of a quarter. You won't accomplish the same enthusiasm with Avatar. It was one movie (never a book), and people won't decide to see Pandora over Hogwarts.
    Plus, the area should be used for Beastly Kingdom. I will never stop pushing for Beastly Kingdom.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM