Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

• All-American

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Word from WDWMagic is that the concept is being hindered by conflicts between the Imagineers and James Cameron's Ego on how it should be executed. Cameron shot down a Soarin' With Banshees concept and doesn't want as much of a screen-based experience. Plus with the sequels being delayed and the response being rather lukewarm, the concept might just shrivel up and die.
    Sounds like the JK Rowling fiasco over again.

And really Imagineering, is a less screen-based really too much to ask? You really think another Soarin' is going to cut it after Forbidden Journey? For all the hype it gets, Soarin is effectively just a motion simulator.

Maybe if listened to the advice of their clients better, they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place... WWoHP would be on Disney property instead of Universal's.

• Reforming Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Peter'sGirl View Post
    I don't think Avatarland (kind of a lame name, by the way) fits into Disney. The Na'vi all run around in skimpy clothing, and (I've never seen it, but) isn't the whole movie about war? I agree that they could do some cool things with a foreign planet movie (which Star Wars is, too), but it simply isn't Disney. Not just because it's not their original creation, either. It's PG-13, easily forgotten (my friend saw it opening night and only remembers skimpy smurfs), and the Na'vi things are neither people nor animals.
    "Star Wars" is six whole movies about war. The sixth one is rated PG-13. It simply isn't Disney.

I tire of complaints about things that aren't Disney's "creation," as if Disney created Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Mary Poppins, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast," Quasimodo, Rapunzel, and so on and so forth.
    "I really do have love to give. I just don't know where to put it."

• Disney Freak

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    "Star Wars" is six whole movies about war. The sixth one is rated PG-13. It simply isn't Disney.

I tire of complaints about things that aren't Disney's "creation," as if Disney created Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Mary Poppins, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast," Quasimodo, Rapunzel, and so on and so forth.
    I should've seen that one coming... Y'know, for the fact that the movie has "war" in the title...
    But they have dabbled in that list. They did nothing for Avatar (or Star Wars, I guess), but they did do a movie (or two) for all of the stories there. If it weren't for Disney, I probably wouldn't know about Pinocchio, Snow White, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, Mr. Toad, or Beauty and the Beast. At least Disney, back when those movies came out, didn't say, "Hey! That made some money in the box office! Quick, put it into one of the themeparks so we can compete with another themepark!"
    (I'm ruining my Star Wars argument, I know.)

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Nonsense! I just got off the Rhine River Cruise and am writing this to you now from the Russian pavilion! (I couldn't wait to go back to my room the Persian hotel)
    And then later you're going to take a spin on the Western River Expedition with me, right?

(btw, Kevin wins the interwebs today)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter'sGirl View Post
    I want Beastly Kingdom.
    Me too. That would finally give me a reason to maybe visit AK. I have absolutely no desire to ever set foot in that park right now. In my world, there are only 3 parks at WDW.

• Minion

I know you've already got the sarcastic wink, but to add to things, Star Wars is essentially a fairy tale that takes place in space with space wizards, space knights, space princesses, space cowboys and beyond the movies, space dragons and space witches. SPAAAAAAACCEEEEE
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    I know you've already got the sarcastic wink, but to add to things, Star Wars is essentially a fairy tale that takes place in space with space wizards, space knights, space princesses, space cowboys and beyond the movies, space dragons and space witches. SPAAAAAAACCEEEEE
    The difference, of course, is that Star Wars makes plenty of sense in a Movie-based theme park ... while Avatar makes very little sense in an Earth Animals-based theme park. I don't think the Avatar-idea would have got nearly as much complaints if it was conceptualized for DHS.

I did getto see some testing for some pretty interesting ideas that might appear at a Disneypark near you specifically WDW. WDI tested an flying contraception that had an animal skin on it. The idea would be that occasionally after sundown a huge creature would be seen flying over the sky then disappear in the distance. In other words it would be a nite time entertainment possibly for avatar land if it happens. Guests would hear the sound of a banshee coming closer then see this huge creature fly over the park. It was quite interesting tHe test I saw had the contraption testing over the Mohave desert and it was shaped to look like a huge pterodactyl

• Insomniac

^^Then why not use that technology for the Dinoland USA redo that it desperately deserves? I liked what someone else said about fixing what you have before expanding. Get rid of the awful Dinosaur overlay and return it to countdown to extinction. Add a new dinosaur dark ride and maybe another d or e ticket and completely demolish almost everything but dinosaur and the play area. The park has potential without the need for avatar.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Me too. That would finally give me a reason to maybe visit AK. I have absolutely no desire to ever set foot in that park right now. In my world, there are only 3 parks at WDW.
    Man, you're missing out on alot, then.

But anyway, glad to hear Avatar may be going away. Bad concept/idea for a whole land. Do away with it.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    agreed lol

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

The difference is that Disney didn't make Avatar.

George Lucas always envisioned Star Wars as a "Disney" movie or something Walt would champion if he was still alive. I don't think James Cameron had the same idea when he made Avatar.

Although you can also argue that Avatar is basically Pocahontas and Atlantis combined. So the argument of Avatar's story shouldn't be in question.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

...as if Disney created Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Mary Poppins, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast," Quasimodo, Rapunzel, and so on and so forth.
    Most of the world would point to Walt's singular, populist versions of these stories as the ones they know and love. Had Disney left these fables to rot in the pages of dusty old leather-bound books they would all certainly be forgotten by now.

It is because Walt put his signature treatment to them, on film and in the parks, that any of us know who Snow White, Rapunzel or any of the others are.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    Most of the world would point to Walt's singular, populist versions of these stories as the ones they know and love. Had Disney left these fables to rot in the pages of dusty old leather-bound books they would all certainly be forgotten by now.

It is because Walt put his signature treatment to them, on film and in the parks, that any of us know who Snow White, Rapunzel or any of the others are.
    Eloquently and accurately put, new member Erik. Welcome!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post

Welcome to mice chat. Comments like this are always welcome
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    To each their own. I just prefer Busch Gardens. AK was built as a response to my little underrated park in Tampa (which is older than WDW as a whole).

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM