Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by Krack View Post
    Expedition Everest, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Soarin - all evidence that an attraction need not be based on a "franchise" or known intellectual property in order to be mega-popular. You can throw the Tower of Terror in there, too (when was the last time kids sat down to watch the Twilight Zone?).

Make a high quality attraction and word will spread and people will come.
    I made a big post some time ago on Soarin' and had a few responses point to Tinkerbell as a big part of the draw...

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Time will tell with this rumor. I just wan a bold vision... is that too much to ask for?
    Based on the state of Pleasure Island / Hyperion Wharf / now maybe some sort of Mardi Gras thing, yes, that is too much to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by quizkid8279 View Post
    I tire of complaints about things that aren't Disney's "creation," as if Disney created Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Mary Poppins, Mr. Toad, Peter Pan, Tarzan, Aladdin, the Little Mermaid, "Beauty and the Beast," Quasimodo, Rapunzel, and so on and so forth.
    All of those stories were changed and recontextualized by Disney and, more importantly for this discussion, the most successful were recontextualized again when brought to a theme park. That is very different from Iger's view of The Walt Disney Company. Disney could buy any number of properties, but that would not mean that, just due to their ownership, that they carry the same feelings and thus would be viewed as Disney-esque without the ownership.

Did Disney get the bright idea to go with the Hunger Games instead?

My prediction:

1. Avatarland cancelled
    2. Purists celebrate the lack of random movie franchises being added
    3. Universal picks up rights
    4. Purists complain that Disney cant live up to the technological advancements in Avatarland

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroMan View Post
    My prediction:

1. Avatarland cancelled
    4. Purists complain that Disney cant live up to the technological advancements in Avatarland
    Yup. And no one should feel bad about this. This wouldn't happen if Disney was the theme park leader it used to be and didn't go buying random movie rights as knee-jerk reactions. Bottom line, they shouldn't be playing catch up--they should be the innovators. The true leader of the theme park industry wouldn't pick up random franchises they have no business portraying, then making lame excuses to shoehorn that irrelevant franchise into a park it has no business being in, all to combat a theme park they're clearly worried about!!!

Im not a Disney purist, but I'd say they have every right to be mad.

• Senior Minion

My prediction:

1. Avatarland cancelled
    Sorry, #3 won't happen -- Universal has known for a long time what Disney is only now finding out about Cameron.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• враг народа

Blog Entries

My prediction:

1. Avatarland cancelled
    You phrase that as if Universal's work is entirely dependent on the franchise and not the result of committed designers. That is the very think that cause Disney to prematurely jump on Avatar and apparently, follow it up with lack luster concepts; the erroneous belief that themed entertainment is powered by the brands they present.

I personally am indifferent about the whole concept, and I wont form a real opinion on it until more details are given, if they ever are. But, here's how I look at the situation:

Every project has its share of obstacles and challenges to overcome, whether they're technological, logistical, financial, etc. etc. Obviously people within the Company, most likely people very high up, saw potential in Avatar and wanted the rights bad enough to pursue them. When people want something bad enough they are eventually willing to do things that are difficult and/or uncomfortable for them (e.g. spending more money, giving over more control to Cameron, etc.). And if Cameron is pushing for super high quality design and theming, I see no reason why the Imagineers wouldn't be 100% behind this concept, especially Joe Rodhe, who undoubtedly has something to do with this project and whose previous projects will attest to his commitment to quality. So if there are executives that still want this to go through and Imagineers behind this, I see no reason why a compromise between Cameron and Disney on how this should be done couldn't be reached. Just because things look bleak right now, doesn't mean they won't clear up in the future.

The problem is that no-one wants to go to Pandora. We all want to go to LV-426.

• MiceAge Columnist

As long as there's a way to nuke it from orbit ("only way to be sure"), sign me up!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by mikelieman View Post
    The problem is that no-one wants to go to Pandora. We all want to go to LV-426.

As long as Ripley is going with me I'll go ANYWHERE! LV-426 is actually very pretty in a serene way
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Yup. And no one should feel bad about this. This wouldn't happen if Disney was the theme park leader it used to be and didn't go buying random movie rights as knee-jerk reactions. Bottom line, they shouldn't be playing catch up--they should be the innovators. The true leader of the theme park industry wouldn't pick up random franchises they have no business portraying, then making lame excuses to shoehorn that irrelevant franchise into a park it has no business being in, all to combat a theme park they're clearly worried about!!!

Im not a Disney purist, but I'd say they have every right to be mad.
    I wouldn't call it a random. They were looking at box office gross and the appeal of the movie.

• Timelord

Just give me a Muppet Land at DHS and I'll be happy. Use the specs from back in the 90's and give us a Muppet Dark Ride that goes through a highly themed Muppet restaurant.

Besides that, I don't think they could really announce anything at WDW that would excite me. (Except for a Star Wars Land, and we all know that would never happen.)

DL has so much more going for it. If they changed Bugs Land to Pixar Land, added a Muppet Land, and fixed up Tomorrowland (while bringing back COP), I'd never want to go back to WDW again.

Keep in mind everyone this avatar claim may OR NOT be true, I would like more sources on this. I see the following scenarios could happen.
    A. Avatar is never made land in any park/or made in amusement park
    B. Cameron will be angry and persue to Universal, and the land will succeed or lose.
    C. The claim is false and the land is built in DAK.

---------- Post added 03-10-2012 at 09:01 PM ----------

My prediction:

1. Avatarland cancelled
    Bingo
    Last edited by Spongeocto4; 03-11-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Bummer. I was really looking forward to an E-Ticket fully immersive boat or omnimover ride into the Avatar world complete with extended night hours (and maybe even Rivers of Light?) at DAK.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Disney + Menken fan

Surprised so many people hate the idea :O
    I still don't see how this is any different than 'Indiana Jones' and 'Star Wars' in the parks (and those are loved by almost all of you!) As for those that say the movie isn't gonna be popular on long term therefor the land won't be popular in 10 years, look at Carsland! A lot people hated it because they didn't like the movie and said it wasn't going to be around in 10 years. And now look what people say, almost everyone is excited for it! YES I would liked an 'Disney' or 'Original' land more but if it is done right it WILL be awesome (and with someone like Cameron around I don't expect a cheap experience)

About it being in DAK I don't mind it, if 'Dinoland' can be there, than so can 'Alienland' (aka 'Pandora' aka 'Avatarland') Which will be a rich rain forest like surrounding instead of a tacky carnival road thingy (aka 'Dinoland')

It's just my opinion but I think it would be really stupid if they drop this opportunity to FINALLY do something revolutionary again at 'Disney' and 'Walt Disney World' again.

~Dex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM