Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

I really just think at the end of the day, NO park has the talent to do justice to Cameron's vision ( in an franchise ), since he's so far ahead of the curve in cinematography, turning those groundbreaking events into repeatable, enjoyable attractions just can't be done.

I think we all need to read, or reread Niven and Barnes's "Dream Park" series of novels to remind ourselves of what we should be shooting for. ( Also, Varley's "Mammoth" is a pretty good idea of what an 'ideal' to shoot for could be. )

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by isny View Post
    Just give me a Muppet Land at DHS and I'll be happy. Use the specs from back in the 90's and give us a Muppet Dark Ride that goes through a highly themed Muppet restaurant.
    I'd be all over that!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    I'd be all over that!
    seconded!

• Not a Crook

I'm another one that hopes the rumor is true. My biggest problem with Avatar is that it would have been a massive expansion of Animal Kingdom that had no place for any animals. At least Beastly Kingdom could include animals that inspired the legends and myths, but there's no way real fauna would fit in the world of Pandora. De-emphasizing the focus of a park always causes problems. Epcot's Future World is fun still but is a non-cohesive mess, and Hollywood Studios is barely even a half day experience now with all the working studio aspects gone.

As for the brand name vs. original idea debate, I'm quite intrigued by Sea World's Empire of the Penguin attraction. If it's as big of a success as they seem to be planning, it may restore faith that a non-licensed property can compete in the current market.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    De-emphasizing the focus of a park always causes problems. Epcot's Future World is fun still but is a non-cohesive mess, and Hollywood Studios is barely even a half day experience now with all the working studio aspects gone.
    This. Integrity of theme should be paramount. Anything less waters down the experience and damages the brand. If those in charge can't realize and practice this, well, then maybe they shouldn't be making those kinds of decisions.

• Disney + Menken fan

^^You can do unicorns and dragons but not all the wildlife from Pandora?
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Xedex View Post
    ^^You can do unicorns and dragons but not all the wildlife from Pandora?
    I think the significant part was this:

At least Beastly Kingdom could include animals that inspired the legends and myths, but there's no way real fauna would fit in the world of Pandora.
    You could have real horses near the area with fake unicorns, and real birds and repltiles near the area with fake dragons, etc.

• Disney + Menken fan

^Ah I see, doesn't sound very exciting but that's probably just me :P
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Beastly Kingdom = Old News at this point.

I don't want Beastly Kingdom any more. I want something bolder and bigger.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Munchings & Crunchings

I'm not sure why people keep thinking that Universal would attempt a purchase of Avatar if Disney backs away. Universal has Harry Potter at the moment, and I'm not sure they would need another controlling creator-driven expansion. HP has proven to be such a huge hit for them, I don't think they even need Avatar. They could go after other franchises.

As for Disney and Avatar, I think it could be done, but I'm not sure I have faith in WDI anymore, or the money guys who would want things cut, but butt heads with Cameron over it. Theoretically, if money was no object, I think wonderful things could be done, but I'm not sure Disney has the stomach for that anymore.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Maybe Disney could add the Hunger Games to DAK... where you pay money to get locked into a new land, and fight other tourists to the death to be crowned Victor. lol jk

But honestly, I want a big expansion to DAK that is earth shattering.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Beastly Kingdom = Old News at this point.

I don't want Beastly Kingdom any more. I want something bolder and bigger.
    Same but I do want something devoted to mythical animals in DAK beyond a Yeti. The original concept art for Beastly Kingdom never appealed to me but with current technology, we could indeed do something far better with the concept.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Maybe Disney could add the Hunger Games to DAK... where you pay money to get locked into a new land, and fight other tourists to the death to be crowned Victor. lol jk

But honestly, I want a big expansion to DAK that is earth shattering.
    Well what would that be persay King eric? I did a concept a while ago for a new DAK here were my major points from that (there were many more details involved and other additions however these are just the main ones to give you a jist of things):

- the expansion of Dinorama that would include; the gutting and expansion of theater in the wild to turn it into a dino aviary indoor coaster, and the removal of chester and hester's for a evolution of the world dark ride (think of it as a combo between Randy Savages recent idea and Spaceship Earth in a huge show building made to look like part of the museum)

- the addition of Australia between Rafiki and Asia as previously discussed

- the moving of the lion king theater from camp minnie mickey to its new location behind the buildings on the left side of the street in Africa

- the expansion and theme change of camp Minnie to a combo land. half family area (M/G's, an interactive little show for the kids with Humphrey and Donald, smore's and old cartoon movies in a little outdoor theater, a next gen interactive playground ect) and the other half a north American themed land (with a dark ride with goofy about pets and or with Pocahontas about the animals you can come into contact with in your own back yard, a north american animal trail, and a log flume ride through the wilderness).

- another animal trail for asia featuring the cold weather animals of the continent as opposed to just warm weather creatures (snow leopard, yak, golden eagle ect)

-addition of new animals all around the park (some of the exhibits on discovery island have not received new animals and remain bare for a bit)

- finally a world of color-esque night show on the right side water where there are less animals. they could all be brought in for the night and fed during the day in the affected areas of Discovery Island and the Oasis, and all lands other then half of camp minnie mickey, oasis and discovey island could be shut down at a certain time funneling guests to this area where they could watch the show from either dinoland or discovery island. no fireworks, all projections on water, music, and water cannons

Does that meet your criteria?

---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Same but I do want something devoted to mythical animals in DAK beyond a Yeti. The original concept art for Beastly Kingdom never appealed to me but with current technology, we could indeed do something far better with the concept.
    there should be some more mythical animals in AK but they definitely shouldn't get their own land, you could easily add more with attractions in new continents, story sessions, theater productions ect. themed to the history of the continent in question.

• Marching along

Someone said it earlier: fix what we already have first. I agree with that sentiment and think these projects need to happen before a major AK expansion:

1) Fix the capacity issue at the MK. FLE may very well help solve this issue, though a few more C-tickets wouldn't hurt.

2) Steer Epcot back on-theme. Future World needs help in a big way. Replace EO (please!) and finally bring JII back to respectability. Replace WOL with something truly spectacular, futuristic and optimistic.

3) Fix the E-ticket rides at AK before adding anything new! Dinosaur and Everest are in SAD shape. Perhaps Cameron got cold feet after seeing how poorly AK treats its E-Ticket rides.

4) Pleasure Island. Three and a half years of insanity is long enough.

5) Pledge to improve maintenance throughout the resort. Enough with the video screens. We want moving parts that work. Hire the people you need and provide the money to get this done.

If WDW could complete all or even part of this list, I'd be more open to a big AK expansion. But the rest of WDW really should be in top shape before we see anything new. After all, what good would an Avatar land be if it broke down six months after opening?

• Not a Crook

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Heck, I'd just like to see something, even something minor, incorporating a dragon again. It still seems bizarre that dragons are all over the park and logos, yet have no presence at all. Komodo dragons don't count (no matter how much I love them).
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM