Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Re: Avatarland Canceled?

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Well what would that be persay King eric?
    Ok well since you asked....

My thoughts on DAK as a fanboy.

1. Move Festival of the Lion King to Africa

2. Change Rafiki Planet Watch or Conservation Station to an Authentic Africa Village in the wild, where you can see people caring for animals (the vet facilities) and you can learn more about conversation, and life in Africa. Keep the petting zoo, but make it more Disney, and add a C-ticket ride back there... take the Lion King's Circle of Life video from Epcot and turn it into a fun dark ride (that could be full of screens)

3. At Camp Mickey Minnie I would like to see that entire area that was reserved for Beastly Kingdom and turn it into the Enchanted Forrest... here you would discover through tower trees myths and legends throughout history, and pre history.

4. Dinoalnd USA - I would scrap Chester and Hester and the Dinoland institute theme since Chester and Hester is cheesy and cheap, and Dinoland institute pales in comparison to IOA's Jurassic Park. I would do something bold where I would re-route the land to where you have to enter the land through a non-height requirement version of Dinosaur, where they are experimenting with Time Travel and you go back in time, and you get dropped off in the Cretaceous period. Then you spend the rest of your time in Dinoland exploring the real Dinosaur world. In order to get out you go through a mass "teleporter" that takes you back to the present. You would have a ride where you can ride on the back of a dinosaur, touch a dinosaur, and something else

5. I would replace "It's Tough to Be a Bug" with a new 4-D film that doesn't make children cry. Something that sets the stage for DAK, something that celebrates life on earth, and really makes you feel like you are in the "tree of life"

6. Asia and Africa you can stay the way you are for now... cause I think you are classy.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I would...

1. add A BUG'S LAND but not replicate the cheap fair that DCA adopted. But make it a true land of Bugs along the same lines of the queue for it's Tough To Be A Bug. With plenty of exhibits featuring real bugs, dark rides and coasters and... flies.... it could be a fun new land that can also teach about the world of insects.

2. Move Baloo and Louie meet & greets to Asia. That's where they're located in the film... not Africa.

3. Dinoland just needs more rides and not of the Chester & Hester variety. For Primeval Whirl, maybe enclose that sucker except for the very top. The spinner... wouldn't it make more sense if there was a pterodactyl flying ride? A friendlier dark ride that documents the film Dinosaur might be better for the entire family. Turn "Dinosaur" back to Countdown to Extinction and make it completely unrelated to the movie.

4. BEASTLY KINGDOM. In all honesty, the name of the land and what it contains is not set in stone. It can be ANYTHING. But I do want a land where mythical creatures can find a home. Be it in an Enchanted Forest or otherwise, or even Atlantis or Greek Mythology.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Nonsense! I just got off the Rhine River Cruise and am writing this to you now from the Russian pavilion! (I couldn't wait to go back to my room the Persian hotel)
    You went for the Persian hotel? I much prefer the sights of the hotel in EPCOT city. Can't wait to ride the Western River Expedition tomorrow.

• Disney Freak

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Beastly Kingdom = Old News at this point.

I don't want Beastly Kingdom any more. I want something bolder and bigger.
    Not old news! I mean, yeah, if you want to get all technical, the idea is old... But you could do so much! Disney is (used to be) totally cutting edge! I mean, Betty the Yeti had so much power in her one arm that she broke her stand! Think, if Disney wanted to use their old idea and create a land for mythical creatures, they could do so much. They could figure out how to make an animatronic dragon fly; they could make a very scary Cerberus thing; they could invest in some fabric that looks like it's on fire for a phoenix; figure out how to make a convincing centaur that roams the land, and throw some Pegasuses in while their at it.

Or, they could do something totally better than all of those thing combined that I can't even fathom because I have a limited imagination.

My point is, even if the idea is old, you can still do some pretty amazing things with it. Unless the main idea sucks. Like how Avatar kinda sucks.

Yesterday at the shareholder meeting someone asked Mr. Iger about Avatarland and according to him it's still on track. Let's see if that's true.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Yesterday at the shareholder meeting someone asked Mr. Iger about Avatarland and according to him it's still on track. Let's see if that's true.
    It might be still on track to be used in Disney Parks globally like Shanghai, etc. But maybe Iger was unaware of infighting at the Parks & Resorts level (he does have a lot of other things to worry about) maybe now that this has his ear, all the egos will have to swallow their pride and just do it.

I would be kind of ironic if all this fan celebration of Avatar getting quietly canned created so much noise that it makes Iger personally get involved so that it does happen. lol

If it's really still happening, I hope they figure something else out than adding it to DAK. It still prefer DHS for Avatarland. Globally it can currently only be added to Shanghai DL and WDSP in Paris. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to add Avatar to an existing Magic Kingdom style park. Honestly I don't want to see it in Shanghai DL either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Iger seems to not give a crap about the parks frankly. I wonder if he even keeps track of projects at WDI anymore.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 03-14-2012 at 04:49 AM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Mind you also Avatar was not included in the road map for the parks, but was only talked about in the Q&A when an investor asked about it.

It seemed like an after thought. I don't think Iger really knows what is going on at Parks & Resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Iger seems to not give a crap about the parks frankly. I wonder if he even keeps track of projects at WDI anymore.
    Which explains why under his watch, the largest expansion/refurb in P&R history, the MK expansion, HKDL expansion, Avatarland and SHDL were all announced in the span of about 4 years...

And to be honest, I still don't get why Avatarland is so disliked, especially when we know basically nothing about it and when people have been complaining for years that DAK needs something else.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    And to be honest, I still don't get why Avatarland is so disliked, especially when we know basically nothing about it and when people have been complaining for years that DAK needs something else.
    3 main reasons:

1) most people are not at all convinced about its staying power as a franchise, particularly with the long lull in between the first film and its sequels.

2) outside of cinematography and the digital aspects, the actual raw material of the movie (the story, acting ect.) was only mediocre therefore again affecting its staying power.

3) and most importantly, it does not fit nor belong in AK. It is a park about flora and fauna and celebrating the planet earth, aliens (imaginary, real, or what have you) do not fit that theme in any way shape or form. this is irregardless of the fact that it took place in an alien jungle or has alien animals, its still all alien and therefore should NOT be in AK ever. there are many other arguments previous posters have brought up but these are kind of the three main recurring themes.

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    It might be still on track to be used in Disney Parks globally like Shanghai, etc. But maybe Iger was unaware of infighting at the Parks & Resorts level (he does have a lot of other things to worry about) maybe now that this has his ear, all the egos will have to swallow their pride and just do it.

I would be kind of ironic if all this fan celebration of Avatar getting quietly canned created so much noise that it makes Iger personally get involved so that it does happen. lol
    I really doubt that Bob Iger would not be involved in the avatar project especially when it invloves quite a bit of money and an important person like Cameron. I also doubt that he would just let it die and end up displeasing Cameron especially since not only would it damage any future park projects but also projects that they might want to work with in the studio division. a few outcries from fans is not going to derail the project that easy I also doubt that disagreements between Cameron and WDI were not foreseen.

I have spoken to a couple WDI people i Know and so far i hear nothing about them being displease with the opportunity to work on such a project. Its a project that will keep many of them busy for a few years which is a good thing

---------- Post added 03-14-2012 at 12:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    This is nonsense, he is very much involved in the park division but has allowed WDI and the creative people in charge of the parks to have more control over what is done instead of dictating what is best for them. Eisner had everyone in a leash and look at what he accomplished the last 10 years for the park. He did not allow the creative teams to accomplish anything unless he had most of the control of how something should be done. that is why people ended up with a second gate in Paris that everyone dislikes, a very small Magic Kingdom in Hong Kong and a water down second gate in Anaheim.

Iger does not need to be in total control to care yet he is involved in all major park projects but he knows he has good people in there now that now how to do their jobs.

Everyone keeps speculating that Iger does not know what is going on in the parks divisions only because not much is known about the Avatar project but the reality is that the project is still in very early blue sky and there is nothing to talk about or announce at this moment. Delays will happen which is what normally happens for projects like these and the first original ideas that are being worked on between WDI and cameron team are just that IDEAS which will evolve into something that both teams agree on eventually or if it gets to it disagree and postpone or cancel.
    Do people really think that Carsland did not go through the same issues? they have shown a couple of the concept pieces of how the land evolved but there are dozens of designs and projects that were either eliminated or included into the project and even after the final layout and design was agreed upon there was still changes going on even during construction. There is a reason these projects take years to create and one of them is because there are dozens of people involved in them that must come into an agreement to proceed.
    Last edited by Baloo; 03-14-2012 at 11:10 AM.

• Inappropriate

To everyone that thinks the staying power of a land based on Avatar is slim because it was a mediocre film, let me throw this at you: Splash Mountain. It's based on a movie that most people haven't even seen or heard of, yet it remains one of the most popular attractions at any park it's in. The key is that it was done RIGHT. It's a thoroughly well thought out and executed attraction. We don't even know what this Avatarland will look like or consist of and we're already dumping all over it. Who cares what the source is, if done RIGHT (really big emphasis) it could be grand.
    And why can't Animal Kingdom have another planet added to it? Why are we being the theme-police? Pandora has some really cool animals, and if they're the central theme to the land, how does that not fit the animal theme of the park? You can build a land and not have it share the plot or structure of the movie. Look at Bugs Land in DCA. There's nothing in there about savage grasshoppers stealing food from the guests or anything. It just exists in that universe. It's possible to build the land and not have anything to do with the film.
    All I'm saying is we are hating something we know nothing about. There is potential in this project if the higher-ups choose to come at it in full force and are willing to spend the money on it. Let's settle down a bit and stop boo hooing that we're not getting Beastly Kingdom or Australia.

Also, let it be known that I thought the film was craptacular. I'm happy if I never see it again.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    This is nonsense, he is very much involved in the park division but has allowed WDI and the creative people in charge of the parks to have more control over what is done instead of dictating what is best for them. Eisner had everyone in a leash and look at what he accomplished the last 10 years for the park. He did not allow the creative teams to accomplish anything unless he had most of the control of how something should be done. that is why people ended up with a second gate in Paris that everyone dislikes, a very small Magic Kingdom in Hong Kong and a water down second gate in Anaheim.

Iger does not need to be in total control to care yet he is involved in all major park projects but he knows he has good people in there now that now how to do their jobs.

Everyone keeps speculating that Iger does not know what is going on in the parks divisions only because not much is known about the Avatar project but the reality is that the project is still in very early blue sky and there is nothing to talk about or announce at this moment. Delays will happen which is what normally happens for projects like these and the first original ideas that are being worked on between WDI and cameron team are just that IDEAS which will evolve into something that both teams agree on eventually or if it gets to it disagree and postpone or cancel.
    Do people really think that Carsland did not go through the same issues? they have shown a couple of the concept pieces of how the land evolved but there are dozens of designs and projects that were either eliminated or included into the project and even after the final layout and design was agreed upon there was still changes going on even during construction. There is a reason these projects take years to create and one of them is because there are dozens of people involved in them that must come into an agreement to proceed.
    I get it was probably not his decision but if it was and if he cares why did he put the people that are currently in charge of the parks in charge of the park?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    To everyone that thinks the staying power of a land based on Avatar is slim because it was a mediocre film, let me throw this at you: Splash Mountain. It's based on a movie that most people haven't even seen or heard of, yet it remains one of the most popular attractions at any park it's in. The key is that it was done RIGHT. It's a thoroughly well thought out and executed attraction. We don't even know what this Avatarland will look like or consist of and we're already dumping all over it. Who cares what the source is, if done RIGHT (really big emphasis) it could be grand.
    I think part of the concern is due to a recognition that the culture at Disney has changed since then. When Splash Mountain created the film Song of the South was being used as a source to create something new, just as the original stories from Joel Chandler Harris had been used to create the film. With today's focus on franchises, there is less desire to create something new. The focus is now more on recreating what is seen and known, and to push it as another means of promoting the franchise.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM