Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 241
  1. #121

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,869

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    not only would it damage any future park projects but also projects that they might want to work with in the studio division.
    Why do you say that?? I just don't see the correlation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    have spoken to a couple WDI people i Know and so far i hear nothing about them being displease with the opportunity to work on such a project. Its a project that will keep many of them busy for a few years which is a good thing.


    Although I remain skeptical about this because many on here know "someone in WDI" but if you do, please pass it along to move Avatar to DHS if at all possible, where it belongs, dont hurt my DAK. Also if you could ask them if they could work on that long awaited and rumored Australia land I have been salivating about for so long .

  2. #122

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    108

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think part of the concern is due to a recognition that the culture at Disney has changed since then. When Splash Mountain created the film Song of the South was being used as a source to create something new, just as the original stories from Joel Chandler Harris had been used to create the film. With today's focus on franchises, there is less desire to create something new. The focus is now more on recreating what is seen and known, and to push it as another means of promoting the franchise.
    While I do agree that many companies have been focusing on franchises lately, I don't agree with the satement that there is less of a desire to create something new. Recreating the environments and story of the movie just gets redundant and makes the franchise loose popularity faster, while creating something new within the franchise makes it more diverse so you can experience lots of different aspects of the franchise. Look at Cars Land. Yes, they did recreate the shop facades pretty much down to the last brick. But everything inside them is brand new, and all the rides are new creations. Instead of having Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, they could have had Mater's Tractor-tippin' Adventure, but they didn't.


    Besides, if Disney were to retell the exact story of Avatar, it wouldn't be at all appropriate for a Disney park, and people, even non-Disney fans would complain endlessly, and I'm positive Disney knows that.

    ---------- Post added 03-14-2012 at 05:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Although I remain skeptical about this because many on here know "someone in WDI" but if you do, please pass it along to move Avatar to DHS if at all possible, where it belongs, dont hurt my DAK. .

    Besides the fact that an Avatar land makes absolutely no sense in DHS... You're bagging on something that you know basically NOTHING about. Not even a single piece of concept art has been released. For all any of us know, this could be the greatest thing to even happen to "your" DAK.

  3. #123

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,869

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Besides the fact that an Avatar land makes absolutely no sense in DHS... You're bagging on something that you know basically NOTHING about. Not even a single piece of concept art has been released. For all any of us know, this could be the greatest thing to even happen to "your" DAK.
    If Avatar makes no sense in DHS then neither does Star wars by you logic. DHS is a park essentially based upon movies so how wouldn't Avatar fit there? please elaborate on your belief.

    As for "bagging" on Avatar, for all the above reasons I gave and more I do not agree with Avatar going to DAK. In my opinion regardless of what concept they make I do not agree with the basic principle. It is totally against theme, in my opinion has no staying power, was not a good movie outside of its cinematography and digital animation, has limited to zero merchandising opportunities, ect, ect. this is beyond whatever concept imagineers can create (which I'm sure I will enjoy just like the majority of WDI concepts I see) it goes down to the core idea and shoehorning of something that should not be where it is being placed, especially in such a cohesive and well themed park as DAK (arguably the best at this in the world). Not to mention the main reason there was turmoil rumored in the relationship in the first place is that Disney wanted another "screen based" experience which already sounds underwhelming. I assure you this will most definitely NOT be the best thing to happen to DAK, and this is coming from someone who has been accused of being a Disney "apologist" on countless occasions so take that for what you will.

  4. #124

    • Inappropriate
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    1,429

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I think part of the concern is due to a recognition that the culture at Disney has changed since then. When Splash Mountain created the film Song of the South was being used as a source to create something new, just as the original stories from Joel Chandler Harris had been used to create the film. With today's focus on franchises, there is less desire to create something new. The focus is now more on recreating what is seen and known, and to push it as another means of promoting the franchise.
    I don't see a problem with this as long as it is done very well. Universal's Harry Potter land just recreated what has been seen and known, and used as another means of promoting the franchise, but it's still insanely popular. I have zero interest in the Harry Potter franchise, and am in no way part of it's fan base, but I'm still going there next time I'm in town. If the product is strong enough, it works.

    Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

  5. #125

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    661

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    the largest expansion/refurb in P&R history, the MK expansion, HKDL expansion, Avatarland and SHDL were all announced in the span of about 4 years...


    We're really gonna try and go down this route? Cause under Eisner we got TWO new parks in WDW, we got Paris, DisneySea, Studios Paris and HKDL. We got TWO New TL's on both coasts, TWO Lucas attractions....oh yea......and the little expansion of Disneyland into a RESORT. Roll dice, play again...........

  6. #126

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    To everyone that thinks the staying power of a land based on Avatar is slim because it was a mediocre film, let me throw this at you: Splash Mountain. It's based on a movie that most people haven't even seen or heard of, yet it remains one of the most popular attractions at any park it's in
    Off-topic but in a similar vein, might I add that until it started being released over & over again on video (starting in the late 80's?) Alice in Wonderland was a walk-on attraction. Look how that's changed today. Oh, how I miss those days!
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

  7. #127

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    108

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    If Avatar makes no sense in DHS then neither does Star wars by you logic. DHS is a park essentially based upon movies so how wouldn't Avatar fit there? please elaborate on your belief.
    I personally don't feel that Star Tours fits into DHS either. DHS is a park about Hollywood (real and fictional) and how movies are made. Star Tours has nothing to do with either of those. Avatar wouldn't fit, in my opinion, because it doesn't fit into the first category, and probably wouldn't fit in the second one either. Putting Avatar in DHS would be a much more drastic change of theme for DHS than it would be DAK, in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    As for "bagging" on Avatar, for all the above reasons I gave and more I do not agree with Avatar going to DAK. In my opinion regardless of what concept they make I do not agree with the basic principle. It is totally against theme, in my opinion has no staying power, was not a good movie outside of its cinematography and digital animation, has limited to zero merchandising opportunities, ect, ect. this is beyond whatever concept imagineers can create (which I'm sure I will enjoy just like the majority of WDI concepts I see) it goes down to the core idea and shoehorning of something that should not be where it is being placed, especially in such a cohesive and well themed park as DAK (arguably the best at this in the world). Not to mention the main reason there was turmoil rumored in the relationship in the first place is that Disney wanted another "screen based" experience which already sounds underwhelming. I assure you this will most definitely NOT be the best thing to happen to DAK, and this is coming from someone who has been accused of being a Disney "apologist" on countless occasions so take that for what you will.
    I personally think that whether the franchise has staying power or not is almost irrelevant. For one, Disney (and I'm sure Cameron, too) are capable of keeping it alive by various means. Look at all the classic Disney films, they wouldn't be as popular as they are today without smart moves on Disney part. Movies like Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland in their time were really only moderately successful, but look at how well known and beloved they are today! As for the lackluster parts of the movie, aren't those pretty irrelevant? I mean, I'm not exactly sure how things like poor acting, wooden dialogue, and the like affect how successful a theme park land is going to be. (For the record, I think alot of the acting in a few of the Star Wars films is pretty bad. They're still awesome movies and awesome attractions though.) As for merchandising, they could make plenty of t-shirts, hats, etc. and if they really struggle, they just might have to think of some original merchandise! *gasp!* Haha!

    As for AvatarLand (I really hope thats not the actual name) being set on another planet in a park that supposed to be about Earth, I understand where you're coming from. But, I think a small change in the theme of the park is worth it for something that could end up to be so amazing. Disney parks are heavily based on environments, and you can't argue that Avatar has some spectacular environments.

  8. #128

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,638

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Why do you say that?? I just don't see the correlation.
    it would not be the first time that Disney and another creative executive end up having issues. Past history shows that some of those problems caused tentons between the corporations that ended up postponing or cancelling other projects that would have been done between the two corporations.

    I doubt Disney at this moment would want to create tension with someone as powerful as Cameron. A few years back tension and disagreements with Steven Spielberg stopped several possible projects and frixtion between Disney and him continued because of Eisner.

    As for what i know about the project, not much because there really is not much to know yet. The project is still in bluesky and the few chats i have had with friends that work at Disney have only mentioned ideas of what they have seen or heard.


    Another thing to remember is that this will not be the first time that Disney does a deal with 2oth century fox. Disney for years has licensed movie characters from that studio even characters that many would not even consider very Disney like the main character of "Alien" which not only is used in DHS but was also what inspired the making of Alien encounter for Disneyland park. of course due to the fiasco and the rush of WDW to open up Alien encounter first the original idea of the attraction never made it to the park it was designed for which was Disneyland in Anaheim. The attraction was actually designed to fit the existing Mission to Mars during that time.

  9. #129

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,869

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    I personally don't feel that Star Tours fits into DHS either. DHS is a park about Hollywood (real and fictional) and how movies are made. Star Tours has nothing to do with either of those. Avatar wouldn't fit, in my opinion, because it doesn't fit into the first category, and probably wouldn't fit in the second one either. Putting Avatar in DHS would be a much more drastic change of theme for DHS than it would be DAK, in my opinion.
    Correction, DHS WAS a park about Hollywood and how films are made. with recent additions such as American Idol, Pixar land, and the new star tours we see a change in that and it is certainly a park in transition at this point attempting to reach new roots in a different overlying concept. Secondly Star tours 1 actually fits your definition of the parks theme, as it took you behind the scenes and into the actual movie, with the break between the park and the movie set being then entrance to the building. third and finally, couldn't you easily make an Avatar attraction about cinematography or create an area for the purpose of transporting people into the movies (which is essentially what the 'reel' theme of the park is and is moving towards) pun intended .

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    I personally think that whether the franchise has staying power or not is almost irrelevant. For one, Disney (and I'm sure Cameron, too) are capable of keeping it alive by various means. Look at all the classic Disney films, they wouldn't be as popular as they are today without smart moves on Disney part. Movies like Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland in their time were really only moderately successful, but look at how well known and beloved they are today! As for the lackluster parts of the movie, aren't those pretty irrelevant? I mean, I'm not exactly sure how things like poor acting, wooden dialogue, and the like affect how successful a theme park land is going to be. (For the record, I think alot of the acting in a few of the Star Wars films is pretty bad. They're still awesome movies and awesome attractions though.) As for merchandising, they could make plenty of t-shirts, hats, etc. and if they really struggle, they just might have to think of some original merchandise! *gasp!* Haha!
    No....its very relevant for many reasons, essentially at its core though if you have a movie that has faded from peoples consciousness representing an entire land, your out of date and not current, park guests don't respond well to this. almost in all cases regardless of how great the attraction or thematic elements are, the land is replaced. just look at what happened to Jaws at universal and that was a classic film franchise, the likes of which Avatar is not even remotely close to reaching as of yet. The difference between Disney films and Avatar is just that one word, classic. No company can keep a film alive without that happening and no company can give a film that title, it can only happen through people having a connection of some kind, and that connection it is apparent has not been reached in the series Avatar as of yet. As for the comments relating to the quality of the film, they all relate to not only the staying power of the franchise, but the quality of the overall product. In almost all successful lands/attractions, pivotal scenes are featured to draw attention back to the film as well as the fact that they should be great additions to the ride. when all of them are lackluster, that's certainly going to affect your final product. Finally relating to merchandise, ok so hats and shirts....then what? outside of the common theme park fair, there are no new original merchandising opportunities from the film. That's where theme parks make the most money per percentage profits and what ensures things like harry potter get a lot of upkeep and stay around a very long time. as long as people keep buying wands, marauders maps, and butterbeer the land will stick around in top shape. What's Avatar going to sell? sticks? once lands start becoming low profit earners and mediocre to low guest draws they can instantly be placed on the chopping block and i predict that happening for avatar a little over 5 years after opening at maximum before a re-theme (if it opens at all which I hope it does not).

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    As for AvatarLand (I really hope that's not the actual name) being set on another planet in a park that supposed to be about Earth, I understand where you're coming from. But, I think a small change in the theme of the park is worth it for something that could end up to be so amazing. Disney parks are heavily based on environments, and you can't argue that Avatar has some spectacular environments.
    Its not just a small change, its a monumental one. the entire park is about celebrating the planet earth, its plants, animals, and legends. Now we introduce this fantastical, sci-fi, alien land? its just nowhere near theme and ruins the cohesiveness that so many people love and you cant find anywhere else. How are we even getting to this land anyways? are we supposed to just extend our belief as we walk from one planet to another? at least theoretically you could walk around the globe. there are so many reasons this is just wrong but I will leave it at that. Avatar should not come to DAK, period.

  10. #130

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    south florida
    Posts
    700

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Agree with GoofyDonald here. Star Wars and Harry Potter both had HUGE cultural impact for months, which turned into years, (decades now for star wars). Both have been endlessly parodied and copied in other films and on TV; both are fanatically beloved by millions all over the world, with the dvd's, vhs's, and books worn from use; posters, toys, legos, fanclubs, websites devoted to all things Star Wars/Potter... legions of fans discussing and analyzing, fan fiction, longing for more... for years and years and years... Both insanely popular right out of the gate and never slowed down...

    Can you say any of that about Avatar? It's forgotten already, imo.

  11. #131

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    108

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Correction, DHS WAS a park about Hollywood and how films are made. with recent additions such as American Idol, Pixar land, and the new star tours we see a change in that and it is certainly a park in transition at this point attempting to reach new roots in a different overlying concept. Secondly Star tours 1 actually fits your definition of the parks theme, as it took you behind the scenes and into the actual movie, with the break between the park and the movie set being then entrance to the building. third and finally, couldn't you easily make an Avatar attraction about cinematography or create an area for the purpose of transporting people into the movies (which is essentially what the 'reel' theme of the park is and is moving towards) pun intended .
    No, I'd argue that its still a park about Hollywood and how movies (and TV, et.c) are made, with a few rides that are majorly out of theme (Star Tours and Midway Mania). American Idol has to do with the music industry (as does RNR), which is a huge part of Hollywood. I don't see recent additions so much as "transporting" you into the movie, but more that they're just rides based on movies that wouldn't really fit anywhere else.


    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    No....its very relevant for many reasons, essentially at its core though if you have a movie that has faded from peoples consciousness representing an entire land, your out of date and not current, park guests don't respond well to this. almost in all cases regardless of how great the attraction or thematic elements are, the land is replaced. just look at what happened to Jaws at universal and that was a classic film franchise, the likes of which Avatar is not even remotely close to reaching as of yet. The difference between Disney films and Avatar is just that one word, classic. No company can keep a film alive without that happening and no company can give a film that title, it can only happen through people having a connection of some kind, and that connection it is apparent has not been reached in the series Avatar as of yet. As for the comments relating to the quality of the film, they all relate to not only the staying power of the franchise, but the quality of the overall product. In almost all successful lands/attractions, pivotal scenes are featured to draw attention back to the film as well as the fact that they should be great additions to the ride. when all of them are lackluster, that's certainly going to affect your final product. Finally relating to merchandise, ok so hats and shirts....then what? outside of the common theme park fair, there are no new original merchandising opportunities from the film. That's where theme parks make the most money per percentage profits and what ensures things like harry potter get a lot of upkeep and stay around a very long time. as long as people keep buying wands, marauders maps, and butterbeer the land will stick around in top shape. What's Avatar going to sell? sticks? once lands start becoming low profit earners and mediocre to low guest draws they can instantly be placed on the chopping block and i predict that happening for avatar a little over 5 years after opening at maximum before a re-theme (if it opens at all which I hope it does not).
    Again, the example of Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. Neither of those movies performed very well in their time and neither was consider a classic by any means. They've only been accepted as classics by later generations because Disney kept on re-releasing, which caused them to be constantly in the public mindset. And I still fail to see how bad acting and bad dialogue in a movie results in poor theme park attractions (again, look at Star Wars). And the only reason JAWS was removed from UO was because they need to make room for more HP. The only reason HP has so many merchandising possibilities is because it is a whole series of movies. Avatar somewhat lacks in potential (right now) only because it is one movie, and the world hasn't been expanded upon enough yet, something that the 2nd and 3rd movies will no doubt remedy. And clearly somebody within the company saw potential of some sort in Avatar. Otherwise, why would they obtain the rights?


    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Its not just a small change, its a monumental one. the entire park is about celebrating the planet earth, its plants, animals, and legends. Now we introduce this fantastical, sci-fi, alien land? its just nowhere near theme and ruins the cohesiveness that so many people love and you cant find anywhere else. How are we even getting to this land anyways? are we supposed to just extend our belief as we walk from one planet to another? at least theoretically you could walk around the globe. there are so many reasons this is just wrong but I will leave it at that.
    The only thing wrong is that Pandora isn't on earth, therefore its not a 'real' place. Sure, Asia and Africa are based on real places, but Discovery Island isn't based on a real place - its imaginary and other worldy. It ruins the cohessiveness?? It hasn't even been built yet, you can't say that. Besides, there is no possible way it could be less cohessive than DinoLand USA. I would assume so...? Is there all of suddenly something wrong with believing in the impossible at a Disney Park - the place where boats go up waterfalls, where tiki birds sing, where we travel all the rivers of the world in 15 minutes, where we launch into space with no air suits, where animals talk, and where steam trains travel back in time??


    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Avatar should not come to DAK, period.
    Don't knock it 'til you try it!

  12. #132

    • MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Temple of the Forbidden Eye
    Posts
    13,763
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Personally, I'm not a big Avatar fan. If this rumor is true, it would make me happy.

    If Disney is willing to spend the BIG bucks to build a major land to battle the Wizarding World, I'd think they'd need to do something huge. Perhaps something based upon Pirates or possibly license Lord of the Rings.

    But one thing Disney 'can' do well (if they put their minds to it) is create magical environments. I don't think they absolutely have to hitch their horse to a movie franchise to have a huge hit. They just need to build whatever they do VERY well, fill it with massive rides and then promote the heck out of it as the greatest theme park expansion ever.

    Folks love Disney, they are just looking for an excuse to return. And so far, Disney World hasn't really given them that reason.

    To rely on a franchise is lazy. Disney can do this on their own (perhaps incorporating some Disney films in the process or not), but whatever it is needs to be done on Potter scale times two.
    Find us on Facebook:

    .

    How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,



  13. #133

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,869

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    No, I'd argue that its still a park about Hollywood and how movies (and TV, et.c) are made, with a few rides that are majorly out of theme (Star Tours and Midway Mania). American Idol has to do with the music industry (as does RNR), which is a huge part of Hollywood. I don't see recent additions so much as "transporting" you into the movie, but more that they're just rides based on movies that wouldn't really fit anywhere else.
    Again the theme isn't what you believe it to be imo, the theme is taking guests into the movies with a little bit of how they are made on the side. case and point, the parks keynote attraction the great movie ride is not about Hollywood or how movies are made but about taking guests inside the movies and that was the only ride open when the park opened its doors. star tours again actually was coexisting with your idea of what the theme is before its overhaul as you had to walk "on set" before going on the ship whereas now you walk right into the terminal. American Idol is not about "the music industry" but about putting guests inside the tv show experience, the same basic concept of putting guests in the movies. Finally the majority of recent additions are about taking you right inside the movies and obviously so. a great example is TSMM where you are taken down to toy size and interact with the characters of toy story on their level while inside Andy's room (that's what the entire interior of the building is themed to) how is that not putting you in the movie? also the new star tours is another great example along with American Idol, as well as old classics such as tower of terror and GMR.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Again, the example of Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. Neither of those movies performed very well in their time and neither was consider a classic by any means. They've only been accepted as classics by later generations because Disney kept on re-releasing, which caused them to be constantly in the public mindset. And I still fail to see how bad acting and bad dialogue in a movie results in poor theme park attractions (again, look at Star Wars). And the only reason JAWS was removed from UO was because they need to make room for more HP. The only reason HP has so many merchandising possibilities is because it is a whole series of movies. Avatar somewhat lacks in potential (right now) only because it is one movie, and the world hasn't been expanded upon enough yet, something that the 2nd and 3rd movies will no doubt remedy. And clearly somebody within the company saw potential of some sort in Avatar. Otherwise, why would they obtain the rights?
    That example doesn't work though. the simple way of putting it is you can re-release a movie as many times as you want but if its not a good movie it wont matter. Once the technology becomes common place a few years down the road and a re release of Avatar were to occur, I just don't think it would keep it relevant and I think many people share my opinion on that. Unless something totally amazing happens in the next two installments (which rarely occurs and in most cases series get WORSE as they go) then it will never achieve said classic title. keep in mind as wells movies that do not fall within the Disney company rarely get theatrical re releases and only if they are deemed true classics with an avid fan base, none of which Avatar has developed.

    On a deeper level the reason why PP and AiW don't apply here and are classic is because they come from classic sources that will never die. Alice obviously coming from the lewis carol work which is almost standard reading in many schools and Peter coming from the early 1900's Scottish works of the great JM Barrie. both are also helped along by various current other movie adaptations, books, tv appearances, fan fare, ect. The Disney movie versions became classic because they were the best adaptations to film of the stories which quickly became the main mode of storytelling for the modern world. they are all throughout our history and will always live on because they are tied to our roots, whereas Avatar was just a concept drawn up by James Cameron that in his own words were bits and pieces of other scifi franchises mashed together. All this created was a kind of "been there done that" feel of a story that was propped up by digital animation and excellent cinematography. not something that lasts very long.

    Now to get to your inaccuracies. Yes Alice did open to a luke-warm response, however this was due to the fact that the many literary fans who came to see the movie were unaware at the time that Disney had rewrote the story to make it a more appealing family film as opposed to a film representation of the book. the film met far better reception shortly after the original release once the intended audience began making more appearances and later had huge success and a revival on college campuses for its cartoony nature and the Lewis connotations to drug use rumored throughout the story. As for Peter Pan it was a huge success amongst all except for one notable New York times film critic and was the highest grossing film of 1953 so not sure where you got that from? Star wars may have a little poor acting here and there but its 'light-years' ahead of Avatar and has generated some of the most noteworthy lines in movie history, that only comes from good writing and acting, oh yeah and a classic movie. What lines are there to remember from Avatar? Harry Potter expanding over Jaws is such a mistake I can't even start getting into it, its just awful. and last but not least, the reason why there are plenty of merchandising opportunities in HP is because there's lots of cool stuff featured in the movies......found in cool stores that you want to visit....that Universal actually created and brought to freakin life. there is nothing to buy from Avatar because.......nobody buys things there, there is nothing featured to sell, it truly is a merchandising nightmare. No they did not buy Avatar because they saw potential in the franchise, Disney was simply just desperately grasping at straws because for some crazy reason they got it in their head they needed to find a big fancy movie franchise to compete against potter instead of you know just working with what they have and continuing to improve the park experience with new innovative exciting expansions straight unaltered from the minds of imagineers. But i guess they thought James Cameron and the blue people could do a better job, just so so sad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    The only thing wrong is that Pandora isn't on earth, therefore its not a 'real' place. Sure, Asia and Africa are based on real places, but Discovery Island isn't based on a real place - its imaginary and other worldy. It ruins the cohessiveness?? It hasn't even been built yet, you can't say that. Besides, there is no possible way it could be less cohessive than DinoLand USA. I would assume so...? Is there all of suddenly something wrong with believing in the impossible at a Disney Park - the place where boats go up waterfalls, where tiki birds sing, where we travel all the rivers of the world in 15 minutes, where we launch into space with no air suits, where animals talk, and where steam trains travel back in time??
    no that makes two things wrong with Avatar 1) its a different planet (that's a REALLY big one) and 2) it is not nor is it based upon a real place. At least Discovery island and dino land have their roots based in real places. Discovery Island is said to have been modeled after a vibrant Caribbean village with the tree of life being a massive Baobob tree representing the parks ties to the amazing flora and fauna of Earth. Dinoland on the other hand is part representative of a museum, a desert dig site, and a route 66 roadside fair themed to the dinosaurs which are being dug up in the area. These are common place in this area where there is any resemblance of a tourist following so yes all of these do fit (albeit some better then others). extension of belief is fine in the parks including DAK, however the extension should be much less obvious and abrupt at this park in particular due to its commitment to realism and thematic experiences.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wow View Post
    Don't knock it 'til you try it!
    I usually take a wait and see approach however with this it is point blank wrong from the get go and not only will it not be long term successful, but a travesty on the park damaging one of its primary appeals.

    ---------- Post added 03-16-2012 at 08:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    Personally, I'm not a big Avatar fan. If this rumor is true, it would make me happy.

    If Disney is willing to spend the BIG bucks to build a major land to battle the Wizarding World, I'd think they'd need to do something huge. Perhaps something based upon Pirates or possibly license Lord of the Rings.

    But one thing Disney 'can' do well (if they put their minds to it) is create magical environments. I don't think they absolutely have to hitch their horse to a movie franchise to have a huge hit. They just need to build whatever they do VERY well, fill it with massive rides and then promote the heck out of it as the greatest theme park expansion ever.

    Folks love Disney, they are just looking for an excuse to return. And so far, Disney World hasn't really given them that reason.

    To rely on a franchise is lazy. Disney can do this on their own (perhaps incorporating some Disney films in the process or not), but whatever it is needs to be done on Potter scale times two.
    well I'm not entirely sure LotR could take potter (albeit its a million times better of a choice then Avatar). Outside of this though I totally 100% agree with you, let the imagineers get back to their roots, i mean I could think of multiple projects in each park for them right now.

    AK: Australia, expand CMM to north america land, fix dinoland
    DHS: finish pixar place, new backlot tour, muppet land
    Epcot: New Imagination pavilion, new health pavilion, brazil and spain in WS
    MK: fix tomorrow land, maximize the tom sawyer island space, expand pirates in adventure-land.

    DTD: fix pleasure island, rehab disney quest
    - bring in a fifth gate with night time entertainment
    - build a new deluxe resort instead of more dvc
    - try and expand the monorail or a creative new transport system
    - continue to think up new attraction ideas and additions to current rides for the parks to switch out with current experiences or add somehow.

    that should keep them busy for the next 25-30 some odd years . come back to me when your done and I'll give you a new list lol.

  14. #134

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,667

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    build Tortuga
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  15. #135

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    620

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    ...possibly license Lord of the Rings. .
    Make it happen now.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Are the fireworks canceled often?
    By jag_girl in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 08:50 AM
  2. Fantasmic! Canceled Last Night.
    By WRDup in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 01:54 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 06:40 AM
  4. Trip Canceled
    By monorail_rider in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
  5. Haunted Mansion Holiday Event 2005 - Canceled.
    By cellarhound in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •