Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 241
  1. #1

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Avatarland Canceled?

    This is beginning to just come out... I had been wondering about this since everyone I know has been silent on this for the past month.

    Also I just talked to my first insider I trust who suggested that Avatar may have been cancelled last month.
    https://twitter.com/#!/MinnieMGirl/status/177232876746711040



    Please take that with a grain of salt but they know their stuff......
    https://twitter.com/#!/MinnieMGirl/s...33340242468864

    Heads up Avatar apologists: this thing was put over on the entire Parks/Resorts division with no warning. Almost nobody wants it to succeed.
    https://twitter.com/#!/MinnieMGirl/s...79693571772416

    This @MinnieMGirl knows her stuff, her tweets are about some of the smallest changes in lighting and fixtures, and construction at the parks.

    Take this for what you will, but if I could bet right now, I am going to bet this is currently on thin ice, and close to dead.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  2. #2

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    759

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    That's a very interesting rumour. Although I liked the idea of Avatarland, I still think it is planned for the wrong park. I would prefer it to be built in DHS.

    If that's true, than Disney realized that there is not much to tell with Avatar. Although it's the most successful movie, I didn't like it at all, because it is nothing special, except for the fantastic CGI generated images. It has nothing to do with nature or animals in my opinion, that's why I have never understood, why they planned it for DAK.

  3. #3

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    This would be the phase to do it in... Easy to kill when there is nothing invested yet.. and no need to 'kill' it publicly.. just walk away and keep the door open for 'future concepts' that you never actually follow-up on.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    759

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Does someone know, if James Cameron can go to another company, like Universal, when Disney drops out?

  5. #5

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    This would be the phase to do it in... Easy to kill when there is nothing invested yet.. and no need to 'kill' it publicly.. just walk away and keep the door open for 'future concepts' that you never actually follow-up on.
    Back away slowly not making a noise... lol

    Which has also made me think of a lot of other big Disney announcements that end up not coming to pass.

    ---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 08:52 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    Does someone know, if James Cameron can go to another company, like Universal, when Disney drops out?
    I know Universal was mulling over avatar concepts.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  6. #6

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Back away slowly not making a noise... lol

    Which has also made me think of a lot of other big Disney announcements that end up not coming to pass.
    That's the other thing that I'm sure will be lost on many youngins posting about this if it comes to pass... that Disney has a long history of projects announced that for various reasons both creative or economically die before they ever come to be.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  7. #7

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Moderator
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,023

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    That's the other thing that I'm sure will be lost on many youngins posting about this if it comes to pass... that Disney has a long history of projects announced that for various reasons both creative or economically die before they ever come to be.
    Nonsense! I just got off the Rhine River Cruise and am writing this to you now from the Russian pavilion! (I couldn't wait to go back to my room the Persian hotel)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

    I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

    “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

  8. #8

    • Marching along
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    203

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Wow. Just... wow. I would love to know the inside scoop on this.

    If this is true, between this and Hyperion Wharf (both massive WDW projects touted with extreme online fanfare recently) you have to wonder if DisCo has *any* cohesive, *creative* vision for WDW right now. It could appear to the casual observer that they're grasping at straws.

    On the other hand, maybe this is a good sign that someone isn't afraid to pull the plug on projects which provide questionable value to the long-term WDW brand, even after they've been publicly announced.

  9. #9

    • I'm from Canada eh!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,096

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Please be true. Avatar has yet to prove itself as a viable marketable franchise and Disney needs to focus on developing its own properties.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Easy to kill when there is nothing invested yet..
    well except the millions they invested getting the rights lol, but I agree better to toss it now then to be half way through and then do it.

    ---------- Post added 03-07-2012 at 02:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    I know Universal was mulling over avatar concepts
    it doesn't matter what Universal was mulling over now though as they would have to buy the license from Disney or wait for it to expire (depending on the specifics of the contract). Unless universal wants to pay a kings ransom for it (since Disney would probably want to make a profit on their purchase) there will be no Avatar in Universal any time soon.

    I'm still not anywhere near convinced yet that this is true, however I'm praying desperately for it to be so!!! It will be a very happy day if or when it happens that Avatar is officially cancelled in DAK.
    Last edited by goofy donald; 03-07-2012 at 11:05 AM.

  11. #11

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,390

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Another possibility is that Disney wasn't willing to spend as much on it as James Cameron wanted them to?


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  12. #12

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    well except the millions they invested getting the rights lol, but I agree better to toss it now then to be half way through and then do it.
    I doubt Disney is on the hook for large amounts if they abort it. An agreement to license it can be binding without actually paying for all the licensing for example.

    If Disney were to pay for an exclusive and have to put the money up front - they would insist on KEEPING the rights even if they don't use them. That wouldn't be advantageous to Cameron who would lose money if the project didn't complete and he'd still have his property tied up where he couldn't use it elsewhere. So there are reasons why both sides would find an 'escape' clause valuable to their own interests without having to pay the full price up front.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,791

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I doubt Disney is on the hook for large amounts if they abort it. An agreement to license it can be binding without actually paying for all the licensing for example.

    If Disney were to pay for an exclusive and have to put the money up front - they would insist on KEEPING the rights even if they don't use them. That wouldn't be advantageous to Cameron who would lose money if the project didn't complete and he'd still have his property tied up where he couldn't use it elsewhere. So there are reasons why both sides would find an 'escape' clause valuable to their own interests without having to pay the full price up front.
    Unless Disney did in fact put that money upfront and think they can get some sort of resale value from say Universal, or on a less likely option Bush Gardens.

  14. #14

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    I personally was rooting for Avatar Land as I feel that it was the best idea to grow WDW as a whole with international visitors.

    That being said, you can't ignore all of the internal push back this project has gotten.

    Who knows maybe WDI has been pulled off this, and an outside firm is designing it.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  15. #15

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,663

    Re: Avatarland Canceled?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Unless Disney did in fact put that money upfront and think they can get some sort of resale value from say Universal, or on a less likely option Bush Gardens.
    That wouldn't make any sense from Cameron's camp. They wouldn't relinquish their control of the license and allow it to be resold (no one does this). That is because it's more to Cameron's advantage to have Disney punt.. and then have the license be free again.. and Cameron to sell it at full face value again. And the idea not not giving up creative control over output.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

  1. 03-14-2012, 07:58 PM
  2. 03-09-2012, 10:00 PM
  3. 03-08-2012, 09:40 AM
  4. 03-08-2012, 01:07 AM
  5. 03-07-2012, 02:25 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Are the fireworks canceled often?
    By jag_girl in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2006, 08:50 AM
  2. Fantasmic! Canceled Last Night.
    By WRDup in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 01:54 AM
  3. Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-25-2005, 06:40 AM
  4. Trip Canceled
    By monorail_rider in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-07-2005, 03:44 PM
  5. Haunted Mansion Holiday Event 2005 - Canceled.
    By cellarhound in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-10-2005, 08:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •