Question Disney World Face Character Auditions

Hello, I'm 13, so I know I'm a ways away from auditioning, but I just can't wait I want to start preparing early!
    • What are auditions like? What do you have to do?
    • What EXACTLY should I wear? Dance shoes? Leotard?
    • How many people are in each audition? How many do they take?
    • If I'm a fur character, do I still get to do face character stuff? (and vice versa)
    • What sort of headshots/resumes should I bring in?
    I would like to audition when I'm 16, can I do a summer program or something? I live in Michigan, and don't want to drop out of school. Also, where would I stay? Do they have dorms/condos or families you can stay with? My parents work and would not be able to move down there for the summer, and don't want me alone.

Thanks!

Re: Disney World Face Character Auditions

Hello there I've only auditioned once, but I've also read up quite a bit on this subject so maybe I can help you out!

What are auditions like? What do you have to do?

Auditions for look-a-likes (face characters) are pretty tough. It's a typeout audition, meaning if you don't look like EXACTLY what they're looking for, down to the inch or face shape, they'll cut you in the first round. You show up, you get measured, and sign in with your height, gender and name. Then you'll receive a number and will wait until auditions begin. Then, they will take you in groups of 50 or so, line you up, and literally stare at you. If you're what they want, they'll keep you. However, keep in mind they're extremely picky - you can be absolutely gorgeous and you can still get cut. After that, it's different with each audition. You'll either learn a dance routine, do improv, or read from a script. Usually the final stage is putting you in the costume to see if you fit the part. The whole process is pretty secretive, so you're not going to find much detail on Disney's casting website. Honestly, the best thing you can do is walk in with a smile and confidence. You can't change your face, so it's not in your hands at first.

What EXACTLY should I wear? Dance shoes? Leotard?

Honestly, they aren't going to cut you based on what you wear. Most girls show up in active wear (yoga pants, tank tops, leggings etc) with jazz or character shoes. For those who didn't research, wear jeans, skirts, and dresses with flats or flip flops (DO NOT show up in flip flops - it's one of the few things they specifically say not to do on the website). In the audition I went to, almost all of the girls were dressed in everyday wear rather than dance clothes. It's truly your face, and height, alone that will get you past the first cut. You do want to be comfortable in the event that you make it to the dance & improve rounds. So, I recommend active wear that is neat and flatters your figure.

How many people are in each audition? How many do they take?

It ranges depending on the audition, it's usually in the early hundreds. At my audition, there were 108 people. They took 8 people for the first cut, and that's not even a guaranteed role! So, very few. But don't let it discourage you!

If I'm a fur character, do I still get to do face character stuff? (and vice versa)

In WDW, every face character with very few exceptions is required to be a fur character. In Disneyland, you can be a face character without doing fur. This is simply because WDW needs more employees because they have more ground to cover. If they like your face and you're auditioning for fur, they will pull you.

What sort of headshots/resumes should I bring in?

They rarely look at headshots. They didn't even take them until after the first round. It's not required, but if you bring them it shows you are prepared.

Hope that was something useful for you. Best of luck with the auditions! If you don't make it the first time, always try again.

Thank you SO much!! This was extremely helpful!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Adanla View Post
    I would like to audition when I'm 16, can I do a summer program or something? I live in Michigan, and don't want to drop out of school. Also, where would I stay? Do they have dorms/condos or families you can stay with? My parents work and would not be able to move down there for the summer, and don't want me alone.
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to be at least 18 to apply to work at WDW. If you plan on going to college, there's the College Program (there are several threads here on MC on that: College Program, College Program part 2 for starters).

No problem. Oh and you CAN be hired at 16 in WDW if they like you for the role. DL is 18.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Ok, I had DL & WDW mixed up. Though with working at 16, there are employment laws for minors that they have to follow regarding hours worked, breaks and the like.

With you being out of state, Casting usually doesn't even look twice at applications unless you have a Florida address. At least that's what happened to a friend of mine. And with you being out of state, I think your best bet would be to wait and try for the College Program as you'd probably have a better experience with that, but that's just my 2 cents. You might want to check out The Breakroom forum here on MC as it's where current and former CMs hang out here and share info... they can probably answer your questions better. Or you can even just try calling Casting youself and see if they can answer any questions you may have. Sometimes it's best to get the info you need straight from the horse's mouth.