Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Disneyland or Staples Center
    Posts
    348

    Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    With this week being the launch of the new iPad, it got me thinking: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    I asked a similar question in the Disneyland thread, but I'm curious to see what the WDW folks think

    I think it would be cool for a couple of reasons:

    1) Disney, Apple, and Pixar are all connected anyway. Imagine if they all collaborated to make a different apple store. And, since Disney loves selling exclusive merchandise, they can also make things like macbook pro decals, etc etc.
    2) Area-wise, I'm not too familiar with the Orlando area, so I'm not sure where the closest Apple stores are. But in Anaheim, the closest Apple store is around 20 mins away.
    3) Because WDW is an international destination, they could rake in a lot of dollars from these tourists. Look at what happened this week with the new iPad. The first batch sold out, and if you live outside the US you'll have to wait longer. Now, if you're from outside the US, you're visiting the parks, you have a chance to grab one without driving to the other stores.

    Anyway, these are a few ideas. Let me know what you think.


    Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013



  2. #2

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,626

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    I'd wager apple wouldn't want to give up the money Disney would expect from a DTD resident. I bet Disney not only has fixed rents, but probably revenue sharing with DTD tenants.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    With this week being the launch of the new iPad, it got me thinking: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    I asked a similar question in the Disneyland thread, but I'm curious to see what the WDW folks think

    I think it would be cool for a couple of reasons:

    1) Disney, Apple, and Pixar are all connected anyway. Imagine if they all collaborated to make a different apple store. And, since Disney loves selling exclusive merchandise, they can also make things like macbook pro decals, etc etc.
    2) Area-wise, I'm not too familiar with the Orlando area, so I'm not sure where the closest Apple stores are. But in Anaheim, the closest Apple store is around 20 mins away.
    3) Because WDW is an international destination, they could rake in a lot of dollars from these tourists. Look at what happened this week with the new iPad. The first batch sold out, and if you live outside the US you'll have to wait longer. Now, if you're from outside the US, you're visiting the parks, you have a chance to grab one without driving to the other stores.

    Anyway, these are a few ideas. Let me know what you think.
    Being completely honest I think its a kind of counter productive idea, people buy things like Ipads, Ipods, mac books ect, and bring them to Disney. almost no one is going to buy these items on their vacation unless it breaks. my opinion would be to have a small novelty store that sells covers, skins, accessories ect, and get that all officially licensed as apple gear by the main company. I would love that, however an apple store would most likely go broke in a very short amount of time in DTD.

  4. #4

    • Not a Crook
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    440

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    I'd wager apple wouldn't want to give up the money Disney would expect from a DTD resident. I bet Disney not only has fixed rents, but probably revenue sharing with DTD tenants.
    I'm not quite sure about that. Most Apple stores are in more upscale malls or in prime real estate, so they have to be paying pretty high overhead for their existing locations. I doubt Disney would be substantially more, and the close relationship between the companies might result in a good deal for both sides.

    I think it would fit fine into Downtown Disney, and it would be neat to see what store design they'd develop. I'd definitely appreciate a slightly closer location for when I have to drop in for something.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

    Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Disneyland or Staples Center
    Posts
    348

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Points well taken. I'm thinking it might work better in Disneylands DTD rather in WDW, because a majority of the visitors in the former are locals. So they would probably more willing to buy things at Apple store. Plus, Best Buy put up a kiosk that sells electronics, so its clear there is some interest. Does DTD in WDW have one?


    Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013



  6. #6

    •   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    37,910

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Not only would it be good for DTD, but it would also bring a lot of foot traffic to the area. There aren't many apple stores around, so it'd be GREAT for DTD. However, there is no reason Apple would want to pay that inflated rent when they could set up a shop in an abandoned 7-11 and still be packed.

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    International visitors right now leave Disney property to get to an Apple store here in Orlando either at the Florida Mall or the Mall of Millennia.

    So personally if I were Disney and I wanted to keep people on property and spending money, I would most deff build an apple store.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


  8. #8

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,626

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    Being completely honest I think its a kind of counter productive idea, people buy things like Ipads, Ipods, mac books ect, and bring them to Disney. almost no one is going to buy these items on their vacation unless it breaks.
    You miss the fact that the US is so cheap compared to the rest of the world. International visitors (which WDW is one of the biggest draws in the country) would flock to buy Apple gear at US prices. They do it constantly because of the tax and currency differences. That reason alone is why they would want to setup shop.

    ---------- Post added 03-12-2012 at 05:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    I'm not quite sure about that. Most Apple stores are in more upscale malls or in prime real estate, so they have to be paying pretty high overhead for their existing locations. I doubt Disney would be substantially more, and the close relationship between the companies might result in a good deal for both sides.
    Big difference between paying high rent (which you offset with high volume) and having to do something like revenue share.. which you can't offset except with higher prices. Remember this Apple we're talking here.. king of price fixing and ruthlessly taking everyone's money and expecting the OTHER guy to accommodate them.

    IMO - If Apple were looking to capitalize on WDW crowds - they'd be better off just setting up shop in the airport.
    Last edited by flynnibus; 03-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Disneyland or Staples Center
    Posts
    348

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    IMO - If Disney were looking to capitalize on WDW crowds - they'd be better off just setting up shop in the airport.
    Isn't there a WDW store in the Orlando airport already? I thought I saw one there the last time I went.


    Disneyland - 1982 to Present
    Walt Disney World - 1996, 2011
    Tokyo Disney Resort - 2013
    Hong Kong Disneyland - 2013



  10. #10

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,626

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by 14 MPH View Post
    Isn't there a WDW store in the Orlando airport already? I thought I saw one there the last time I went.
    Typo on my part.. I meant if APPLE wanted to capitalize on WDW crowds... just open a store in the airport
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    You miss the fact that the US is so cheap compared to the rest of the world. International visitors (which WDW is one of the biggest draws in the country) would flock to buy Apple gear at US prices. They do it constantly because of the tax and currency differences. That reason alone is why they would want to setup shop.


    Well considering I'm international I should probably know something about this . Myself along with many other internationals know the way to go is getting to the big box stores and the outlet malls and shopping there. we don't go to the regular us stores unless we absolutely have to. the entire purpose of shopping in the us is to save money so you can save a couple hundred bucks by hitting these places. that's why you rarely see non domestic people shopping for non Disney merchandise on property for the most part, because they will just remember it and get the same thing or a similar item or half price later. Keep in mind as well the US is only cheap for domestic products, just like any country. if they are importing say a brand from another country its going to be more expensive then in the country of origin so your statement doesn't really work across the board.

  12. #12

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,626

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    if they are importing say a brand from another country its going to be more expensive then in the country of origin so your statement doesn't really work across the board.
    Uhh.. we're talking about Apple.. thought that was pretty clear.

    Canada isn't really international in this sense. You're currency is close to the US and you have a free trade zone between the US and Canada. Compare this to countries in Europe where they have 15-25% VAT taxes, plus other currency leverage.. and that explains why you see people buy multiple iPads at once, etc.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Uhh.. we're talking about Apple.. thought that was pretty clear.

    Canada isn't really international in this sense. You're currency is close to the US and you have a free trade zone between the US and Canada. Compare this to countries in Europe where they have 15-25% VAT taxes, plus other currency leverage.. and that explains why you see people buy multiple iPads at once, etc.
    "You miss the fact that the US is so cheap compared to the rest of the world" just responding to your point here.

    Yes Canada would still very much so be considered international in my books. regardless of if our currency has been on par and been switching between slightly greater and slightly lesser in value with the us for some time now, Canadian's still pay quite a bit more for American products, everything from soft drinks to books to cars. regardless of the fact that Europeans pay more due to taxes, Canadians still suffer a great deal from this and can expect as much as 25% price hikes on some products due to an aged system that hasn't caught up to the fact that the Canadian dollar is no longer laughable as it was in the early 80's and has in fact surpassed the US dollar on quite a few occasions in recent history. it really is brutal and wrong. If you want an example of this next time you buy a book look over the bar-code and read the difference between the us and the Canadian price.

  14. #14

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    One important thing to note--who's going to buy anew iPad/iPod/MacBook on their vacation? It requires extensive setup, backing up from other computers, etc. I wanna be at Disney on my vacations, not trying to figure out how the new gadgets work. I doubt many far travelers would want to return with investments much larger than park souvenirs anyway considering they probably already came with some form of them.

    In Anaheim it might work due to the large local audience

  15. #15

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    4,450

    Re: Would an Apple Store belong in Downtown Disney?

    Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    One important thing to note--who's going to buy anew iPad/iPod/MacBook on their vacation? It requires extensive setup, backing up from other computers, etc. I wanna be at Disney on my vacations, not trying to figure out how the new gadgets work. I doubt many far travelers would want to return with investments much larger than park souvenirs anyway considering they probably already came with some form of them.

    In Anaheim it might work due to the large local audience
    Apples require almost no set up time. I bought another ipad this weekend, had it synced and set up in 1 or 2 minutes. They are the best grab and go products out there.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Would anyone miss Downtown Disney?
    By markwcricket in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 01:07 PM
  2. [News] Anne Geddes Store To Close In Downtown Disney
    By Dustysage in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2006, 09:09 AM
  4. Downtown Disney Disney Vault 28 store
    By crystalzi in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 02:15 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 07:43 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •