Retired Attractions

What happens to the artwork and ride tubs and scenery when they deside to pull out an attaction?

Re: Retired Attractions

It depends. Sometimes pieces are archived, sometimes they're sold off on eBay, and sometimes they're totally destroyed.

• Banned User

I thought this question was really interesting so I just spent about an hour looking through the forums here to find an answer. So far, what I've come up with is that there's an area at Epcot that has a lot of materials from retired attractions...like an area where the old subs from 20,000 Leagues are stored. It sounds like WDW has a lot of spaces like this where attraction pieces are mothballed.

Kind of sounds like Batman's cave with all those things he collected through the years. I've also seen retired cars from Autopia at fancy Disney hotels in their lobbies - just for display purposes so guests can see them. I don't have a link to that, but I think I might be thinking of the Grand Californian resort at Disneyland because I just read a bunch of articles about that place (it's my dream to stay there!).

Wouldn't it be cool if Disney did like a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock kind of thing and used the retired attraction equipment in restaurants or Disney Stores here and there? How cool would it be to stay in a Disney hotel that had all these cool props hanging around on the walls or displayed somehow? I would LOVE to stay there! I would be taking pictures like crazy!!!

they are usually sold off, reused, or scrapped. Sometimes Disney "hires" companies (like Mouse Surplus) to come haul whatever they want away so that they can make a profit. These companies do it free of charge while scrapping companies make Disney pay for their removal services. The whole lets get an ebay company thing is a win-win situation: Disney doesn't have to pay for removal, while the ebay company makes a profit.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Marching along

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    Wouldn't it be cool if Disney did like a Planet Hollywood or Hard Rock kind of thing and used the retired attraction equipment in restaurants or Disney Stores here and there? How cool would it be to stay in a Disney hotel that had all these cool props hanging around on the walls or displayed somehow? I would LOVE to stay there! I would be taking pictures like crazy!!!
    The Comedy Warehouse at Pleasure Island was literally filled to the rafters with old WDW ride props and ephemera. A lot of fun to look at before the show started.