Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Heavy Breather

Re: Should Figment move out of EPCOT?

Quote Originally Posted by DancinBelle View Post
    I doubt they would remove Figment anytime soon, after seeing how much merchandise he is on for the 30th anniversary. My sister is a huge fan of Figment, and is miserable because she cant afford all of it. If he sells well, he might stick around...
    And thats all that really matters to TDO.

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrToddsMildRide View Post
    I've never heard anyone put it better... Figment has turned into Stich. An annoying character that they can use for merchandise... Brilliant
    Figment's not Stitch (and Stitch is another character that's gotten a bad rap all because Disney merchandising decided to make him Disney's personal Poochie). He's just trying to get Eric Idle off of his couch and out of his house. But he never gets the hint and he keeps eating all the snacks and never pays the rent.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Quote Originally Posted by FigmentJedi View Post
    Figment's not Stitch (and Stitch is another character that's gotten a bad rap all because Disney merchandising decided to make him Disney's personal Poochie). He's just trying to get Eric Idle off of his couch and out of his house. But he never gets the hint and he keeps eating all the snacks and never pays the rent.
    Yes Dr Nigel Annoying needs to go NOW FOR GOOD! Nobody liked him in the second imagination neither in the third one. We need Dreamfinder and the old Figment back darn it. The same original classic ride with modern ride system,effects,and animatronics with remastered and restored audio in my opinion is the best thing to do. Same with restoring the original imageworks.

I'm not sure how to feel about the whole resurrection thing. Is this a bad habit that finally Imagineering has adopted? Or is it a new renaissance we should all embrace in order to bring back a more innocent age? Usually these reboots are disappointing, if not correctly done (as in, not giving the rabid fans exactly what they expect). Disney brought back the Tiki Room and Captain Eo fairly easily. Just some programming and tweaking and spiffing. I highly doubt WDI would put all that money into re-building a RIDE. Figment Fun Fact: "Of the 200 Special Effect Patents created for Epcot, 78 were for the Journey Into Imagination ride alone!" The major, most elaborate portions of the ride were either gutted or completely changed, like the carousel sequences (i think the beginning one and the "science" room).

If WDI really did just reboot the original ride, along with Imageworks and the Rainbow Tunnel upstairs, I'd be the happiest person on earth, no doubt. I'd give anything to meet the Dreamfinder and Figment in person. THE REAL FIGMENT. I never go in that building anymore, now that I know what used to be there. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about not only what we had to say goodbye to, but what came to replace it. Eric Idle, Empiricism and Imagination are two completely different things. One is the philosophical theory that all knowledge comes only or primarily from sensory experience, and the other is a beautiful, wonderful thing we all have and can utilize in the progress of mankind (i.e. in literature, the performing arts, visual art, science and technology, and everyday life) UUUUUGGGGHHH. And that whole upstairs area has just been completely unused since its closing. It hasn't been touched. It's just sitting there. Oh god, what torture it is to be so emotionally invested in the parks, knowing "what used to be". *punches air frantically and sobs*

Image Works @ The Imagination Pavilion: Then and Now - YouTube

I'm one of the few that hasn't seen the original JII and I would definitely rather see the original. I doubt that it would really happen, but it would be nice if they return it to it's former glory, or better as some people stated, and also bring back Dreamfinder who would carry Figment around the park. EPCOT has lost it's identity of what it was back in the day as least from what I've seen of old videos and I think that would help.

Last month was the first time that I ever rode the ride. I was told it was horrible compared to the original from people who grew up with the original, but I decided to ride it anyway out of curiosity. Since I never had technically grown up with the ride, or had fond childhood memories I thought I would think otherwise, but I was wrong. It was still horrible as a first timer experience and not only I agree on Figment now being like "Snitch" as some people have called him, but also to me the ride never really touched on the concept of imagination at all. It seemed more like a really lame lesson on the five main senses. That's it.

Also, I agree that Dr. Nigel has to go.

I personally think that if Disney worked on the ride again it won't be for awhile. It will be on the ride itself (fixing things, or little things changed on the ride). I can't see them completely re-doing the inside of the ride for Figment unless a long length of time has passed again. If anything they might remove the whole ride all together, but I do not know if they will do that.

Of course, Disney has surprised me with the rides they have removed in the past, but as people said Figment is basically EPCOT's mascot.

Random question if I might ask, what was the deal with the 1999-2001 run (JII2)? Why did it run for such a short period of time before closing and opening with this version?

• Minion

I dreamed last night I was riding JII, and they had changed it to try to make it scary. They had Figment trying to escape from a cage like Stitch; there was a long light tunnel like on Space Mountain, but it gave you a shock of static electricity; and there was a big drop into darkness at the end.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    Random question if I might ask, what was the deal with the 1999-2001 run (JII2)? Why did it run for such a short period of time before closing and opening with this version?
    Believe it or not, that version was even worse than the version that was there now. It got so many complaints (including one from the CEO) that they quickly shut it down and crammed figment back in to reduce the backlash. They failed.

It's pretty obvious this ride is awful and everyone in the company has to know it by this point. I can't really explain why it hasn't been changed again yet. Maybe they were trying to save face and wait for a good excuse for a new version instead of having to admit being wrong and wasting money twice. The decision to "update" the ride came from the sponsor, so maybe they were waiting for that contract to expire before they could go ahead with another update. Maybe now they are trying to court a new sponsor that will foot the bill for a better version, anyone want to start an enormous Kickstarter campaign? I think something is going to start happening over there soon. At some point they have to recognize that they aren't doing themselves any favors when people would rather watch youtube videos of the old ride than go on the new one.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123