Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What will Disney do with the Wonders of Life dome?

Lets start with a little back story. Once upon a time, Epcot CENTER had a pavilion called The Wonders of Life. It was in a giant gold dome and had some cool attractions like Body Wars which was a Star Tours type ride where you went inside the body and a bunch of people threw up on it and it was kinda funny. It closed down in 2007 due to lack of sponsors and visitors and today it is a vacant building only used for the food and wine festival I believe. You can find a bunch of other stuff about it on wikipedia but that's your history lesson for today. Should they bring back WOL or completely demolish it for more land(HORIZONS RETURNS)? What are your thoughts?
    I like to think of myself as a "realistic disney nerd"... yeaahhh maybe not.

• Insomniac

Re: What will Disney do with the Wonders of Life dome?

IMO they Wonders of Life will never return. It's attractions, with the exception of Cranium Command were meh. (I never rode cranium Ommand but it appeared to be pretty awesome!) personally I would convert it to a Weather pavilion. Use the dome for a LCD dome screen that simulates different weather paterns. Add a couple fans, some misters for added effect and it would make the inside a unique attraction in and of itself. Reinvent cranium command for a weather show. Build a new weather Rollercoaster/ dark ride. It could be pretty cool... But likely it will remain the events center for the next 30 years until they demolish it.
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Sadly WOL will remain an event space.

It seems that Disney just can't have enough event space at Epcot.

What I would want to see is another pavilion there, that would help make that part of the park more dynamic.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Tokyo Disney Sea Cast

Quote Originally Posted by Bronco21 View Post
    IMO they Wonders of Life will never return. It's attractions, with the exception of Cranium Command were meh. (I never rode cranium Ommand but it appeared to be pretty awesome!) personally I would convert it to a Weather pavilion. Use the dome for a LCD dome screen that simulates different weather paterns. Add a couple fans, some misters for added effect and it would make the inside a unique attraction in and of itself. Reinvent cranium command for a weather show. Build a new weather Rollercoaster/ dark ride. It could be pretty cool... But likely it will remain the events center for the next 30 years until they demolish it.
    If they were to make a weather attraction, bring that kid from CC back and change the plot!! Hopefully they bring the StormRider attraction from Disney Sea to this pavilion but they wont allow TDS Rides to American Parks
    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Sadly WOL will remain an event space.

It seems that Disney just can't have enough event space at Epcot.

What I would want to see is another pavilion there, that would help make that part of the park more dynamic.
    Yeah, a lot of EPCOT attendance these days is driven by festivals and events. I'd love to see life sciences return to Future World, but it won't be anytime soon.

WOL is used for not only for Park events, but Cast events as well. Most Cast Appreciation events at Epcot are held in the Wonders of Life Pavilion. I absolutely loved Body Wars as a kid, but the attraction was picked over for parts for Star Tours. Imagineering kept one bay in use to test the new Star Tours attraction before it opened, but everything else is gone now unfortunately.

• Hello there

Blog Entries

I hated Body Wars and am not sad at all to see that gone. I am one of those people that always got sick on that ride. I would like for them to open another pavilion, something new.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I never got sick on Body Wars, but it was definitely rougher than Star Tours (to me at least) and I'm sorry but a simulator set in the human body? Barf. It just grossed me out. But more power to those of you who liked it.

I loved Cranium Command though (BTW, it was a show, not a ride). But I loved all those 90's characters, so it always gave me a good giggle.

But like others said, WOL will probably only be used as a Festival center now for Flower & Garden in the spring and Food & Wine in the fall. Too bad because that's some prime Epcot real estate right there. They should move the Festival Center into the World Showplace pavilion (which makes more sense since it's right in the middle of where the Festivals take place (World Showcase) and use the WOL land for something else. But.... that's too logical.

• Nutty about Disney parks

The idea of Epcot educating people on health seems rather awkward. I know this is a park that educates the public on nature and the sea and even on the history of communication and transportation but at least those things can be done in a way that is both entertaining and appealing. I don't know how you can educate the public on health while making it appealing (given the recent fiasco with that one stage show.) I would rather this have the pavilion be done to a new theme either themed to weather or a pavilion devoted to Walt's original idea for Epcot.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by DancinBelle View Post
    I absolutely loved Body Wars as a kid, but the attraction was picked over for parts for Star Tours.
    I can't see how this is possible, as both attractions ran together for many years.

• Unhelpful User

Disney needs to think of a new attraction to put in the old Wonders of Life pavilion, can't let it sit there and crumble to oblivion.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I can't see how this is possible, as both attractions ran together for many years.
    After Body Wars closed, that's what they did.

• We'll hold them at bay

in Tokyo, there is an attraction about riding into a hurricane. Maybe they could bring that in
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

I would love to see the WOL re-opened, but as something else.

I enjoyed the rides when I was a kid, but I just loved everything there then. I thought Body Wars was rip off of Star Tours and CC was neat. The bike ride, where you rode bikes was neat too, but very dated even then.

I am sure WDW's biggest issue is getting a sponsor to help fund such a huge remodel and reimagining.

A weather theme would be cool, but is the Twister ride still open at Universal? I liked it the last time I was there, but it didn't seem to get much traffic.

What else could they do there?

The old Living Seas was awesome when it had the ride through the aquarium on the people pods. Now it is just "meh" IMHO. It too needs a refresh, keeping the Nemo or even tossing in some Little Mermaid again would be cool, but I really liked the old school set up from my first trips in the late 80s. But that I am sure is a different thread.

As far as new WOL, they could do a fitness/health attraction, even if you do not like the current people in the White House they are pressing the issue, maybe see if the Feds would want to loan some cash to help educate people, as long as it is not a political or preachy thing.

OR even a US history type ride, I know they have the USA site on the other side of the park, but that is Colonial America. Maybe make it a ride through US history similar to the ride in the dome but in US History. I like that but that would need A LOT of redoing.

• Banned User

I think it would be fun if they had a Shrinking Pavilion -- like where people could get shrunk down to bug size and smaller and see the world from that perspective. Here in Chicago there was an exhibit like this at the Field Museum that had animatronic bugs and it was very interesting. There could be an E-ticket ride in there too.

Maybe they could reboot Honey I Shrunk the Kids and then use that to theme the Shrinking Pavilion. It would be fun to make it feel so realistic, like you were actually the size of a bug or a molecule or something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast