Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 45
  1. #16

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,679

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    I just saw it in person yesterday and it looked awesome. I really hope we get this in Anaheim also. It would be nice to see some Marvel representation in the park, especially since it is actually allowed in CA.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  2. #17

    • Not a Crook
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    440

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Probably comes from having ridden them way too many times (and being tired and frustrated waiting for one to come around), but I don't see the monorails as much more than mostly efficient transportation at this point, so wrapping some advertising on one doesn't bother me much. At least it's an advertisement for The Avengers and not some random show on ABC, like the ones that cover Hollywood Studios.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

    Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

  3. #18

    • -
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uijeongbu
    Posts
    6,679

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    At least it's an advertisement for The Avengers and not some random show on ABC, like the ones that cover Hollywood Studios.
    Or Miley Cyrus...
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

  4. #19

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Honestly, this is flat-out disgusting. At least with the TRONorail, TRON was an original Disney property and there was some (as in, microscopic) justification for it in that EPCOT Center and the original TRON had had joint advertising around the opening of EPCOT Center, so it was something of a continuation in that same vein. Also the fact that the TRON property is somewhat futuristic and the TRONorail was on the Epcot loop that goes through Future World was something of an excuse for its existence.

    This is just a giant billboard plastered on the monorail. It has 0 connection to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail resorts whatsoever. It doesn't fit in turn of the century America, it doesn't fit in Victorian-era Florida, it doesn't fit in the Polynesian islands, and it has no connection to the Contemporary. It's just blatant advertising for the sake of advertising. It makes me want to vomit.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  5. #20

    • All-American
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,934

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Honestly, this is flat-out disgusting. At least with the TRONorail, TRON was an original Disney property and there was some (as in, microscopic) justification for it in that EPCOT Center and the original TRON had had joint advertising around the opening of EPCOT Center, so it was something of a continuation in that same vein. Also the fact that the TRON property is somewhat futuristic and the TRONorail was on the Epcot loop that goes through Future World was something of an excuse for its existence.

    This is just a giant billboard plastered on the monorail. It has 0 connection to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail resorts whatsoever. It doesn't fit in turn of the century America, it doesn't fit in Victorian-era Florida, it doesn't fit in the Polynesian islands, and it has no connection to the Contemporary. It's just blatant advertising for the sake of advertising. It makes me want to vomit.
    Agreed 100%.

    I posted pretty much this exact thing this morning, but I am DEFINITELY not a fan of the Avengers monorail. The Tronorail was almost clever in a way, in that it used the monorails to imitate the movement of the light cycles, and used the futuristic setting of Epcot as a backdrop for the visuals of Tron. But as clever as the Tronorail was, I had a feeling that Disney was just using it to guests' reception to monorail ads in general before trying something more generic. Considering how long Tronorail lasted, and the frequency with which Disney turns out mega-budget films on the scale of Tron or the Avengers (AT LEAST once a year), I can't help thinking that Disney might now have some form of ad on a monorail almost perpetually.

    It's sad that Walt Disney World, once designed as an oasis from strip malls, housing developments, and huge ads on the side of transit, is now becoming just as bad as any other suburb in the country. (Flamingo Crossings, Golden Oak, and the Avenge-orail, respectively)


  6. #21

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Absolutely horrible. I loathe the idea of any Marvel stuff in the parks, it is killing the Disney image. I feel less and less loyal to the Disney brand every time they do something like this, I have seen enough detractions from what Disneyland was supposed to be-a family entertainment theme park, not a billboard for every business the Co. picks up whether it fits in to the company profile or not (for the guests, not the suits). Let the Monorail be the Monorail, keep the tacky ads off park property, you are shooting yourself in the foot Disney, and it's bad form. I will go see the movie because of the commercials for it, not because it is an ad on the Monorail, for that I WON'T go see it...

  7. #22

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chicago. Illinois
    Posts
    133

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    I think The Avengers stuff is ugly -- and it does not make me want to see the movie. I could not care less about The Avengers. though I am sure it will make tons of money. I'll see it for free on Netflix next year.

    Someone said this makes the Monorail look like a city bus and I agree. The "Tronorail" thing was okay, because it was unique and sort of fit with Tron and those monorail-like trains they had in Tronworld in the movie. But the Avengers have no train thing so slapping this advertisement on the Monorail is just dumb.

    Disney does 95% of things right and hits a lot of home runs, but every now and again they do something that is a real stinker. This is a stinker.

  8. #23

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,314
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Romantic View Post
    At least it's an advertisement for The Avengers and not some random show on ABC, like the ones that cover Hollywood Studios.
    But if the marketing department at ABC decided they wanted a monorail wrap, why should Walt Disney World turn down the offer? Why is ABC less than Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios?

  9. #24

    • Hello there
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    winter wonderland
    Posts
    3,892
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Honestly, this is flat-out disgusting. At least with the TRONorail, TRON was an original Disney property and there was some (as in, microscopic) justification for it in that EPCOT Center and the original TRON had had joint advertising around the opening of EPCOT Center, so it was something of a continuation in that same vein. Also the fact that the TRON property is somewhat futuristic and the TRONorail was on the Epcot loop that goes through Future World was something of an excuse for its existence.

    This is just a giant billboard plastered on the monorail. It has 0 connection to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail resorts whatsoever. It doesn't fit in turn of the century America, it doesn't fit in Victorian-era Florida, it doesn't fit in the Polynesian islands, and it has no connection to the Contemporary. It's just blatant advertising for the sake of advertising. It makes me want to vomit.
    How does the monorail without the overlay fit into turn of the century America, Victoria-era Florida, or the Polynesian? It doesn't. I don't understand your point.
    Also, with or without the overlay, it would still fit into the Contemporary.
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

    ΔΜΧΑ

  10. #25

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    How does the monorail without the overlay fit into turn of the century America, Victoria-era Florida, or the Polynesian? It doesn't. I don't understand your point.
    Also, with or without the overlay, it would still fit into the Contemporary.
    Because the monorail without overlay is WDW transportation. The monorail with overlay is a gigantic billboard. Without overlay, it is what it is and it gets its job done without calling attention to itself. With overlay, it's equivalent to sticking a gigantic blinking sign on the monorail that says, "Hey!! Look at me!! I don't fit in!!"

    It's also relevant that one of the primary purposes of Disney World as a whole, from its inception, was to demonstrate futuristic transportation systems. Thus the monorail, by virtue of being a monorail, is relevant to the WDW resort. The Avengers has jack to do with anything in WDW other than the fact that they're both owned by TWDC. It's synergy/marketing for its own sake with 0 attempt at theming.

    And no, it really doesn't fit in the Contemporary. Whether you go with the original "Grand Canyon" theme that's only still upheld by Mary Blair's mural, or the newer sleek, ultra-modern aesthetic, the classic monorail design is a better fit.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    1,008

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    But if the marketing department at ABC decided they wanted a monorail wrap, why should Walt Disney World turn down the offer? Why is ABC less than Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios?

    Because on principle alone, neither one should have been accepted...people pay a PREMIUM price to remove themselves from the outside world, and this is a slap in the face to the reason so much land was purchased in the first place...it's tacky and it breaks the themes of everything it goes near or in, the monorail fits because it is unobtrusive...this is a LOUD AND PROUD MOVIE ADVERTISEMENT

    I believe one of the original reasonings behind Walt's land purchases, he HATED the little hotels, Restaurants and billboards all ruining the sightlines in his otherwise seemingly perfect excursion from real life that he created..

    edit: at least the Tronorail was relegated to service on the EPCOT line, and even then it didn't look like a gigantic billboard..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton


  12. #27

    • Not a Crook
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lakeland, Florida
    Posts
    440

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    But if the marketing department at ABC decided they wanted a monorail wrap, why should Walt Disney World turn down the offer? Why is ABC less than Walt Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios?
    The difference for me is that so far this is setting a pattern of monorail advertising being reserved for the very occasional blockbuster film, and restricted to one monorail at that. If that's how things continue, one of these every couple years when they want to market something as a major event, I'm not too fussed. If, on the other hand, they started having advertising constantly, on all the monorails, for every random ABC or Disney Channel program that nobody cares about, then I'd find it irritating.

    You could make a slippery slope argument that they're headed towards more ubiquitous advertising, but realistically we only have 2 recent examples, 2 years apart, so I'm still not too bothered about the whole thing. I can definitely understand why some find it aesthetically out of place, but I also think that far more displeasing things have shown up before it. I still shudder to think of the castle cake.
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

    Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

  13. #28

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    2,112

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    Because on principle alone, neither one should have been accepted...people pay a PREMIUM price to remove themselves from the outside world, and this is a slap in the face to the reason so much land was purchased in the first place...it's tacky and it breaks the themes of everything it goes near or in, the monorail fits because it is unobtrusive...this is a LOUD AND PROUD MOVIE ADVERTISEMENT

    I believe one of the original reasonings behind Walt's land purchases, he HATED the little hotels, Restaurants and billboards all ruining the sightlines in his otherwise seemingly perfect excursion from real life that he created..

    edit: at least the Tronorail was relegated to service on the EPCOT line, and even then it didn't look like a gigantic billboard..
    i agree this shouldn't occur on the monorails unless its a Disney year of event, (or something like tron which did fit) however abc shows (as long as they are confined to the commissary section of DHS do fit thematically so i have no problem with their adds nor should anyone else.

  14. #29

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Paper St
    Posts
    1,359

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Honestly, this is flat-out disgusting. At least with the TRONorail, TRON was an original Disney property and there was some (as in, microscopic) justification for it in that EPCOT Center and the original TRON had had joint advertising around the opening of EPCOT Center, so it was something of a continuation in that same vein. Also the fact that the TRON property is somewhat futuristic and the TRONorail was on the Epcot loop that goes through Future World was something of an excuse for its existence.

    This is just a giant billboard plastered on the monorail. It has 0 connection to the Magic Kingdom and the monorail resorts whatsoever. It doesn't fit in turn of the century America, it doesn't fit in Victorian-era Florida, it doesn't fit in the Polynesian islands, and it has no connection to the Contemporary. It's just blatant advertising for the sake of advertising. It makes me want to vomit.
    I think being disgusted may be a little much lol. Like someone said, the monorail without the overlay doesn't fit the things you described either. Marvel is a part of Disney now, just like Pixar. To say that you go to Disney to escape advertising seems strange since that's the last place I would go for that purpose. Disney has become a gigantic advertisement. When's the last time something was introduced to the parks without a movie overlay and significant merchandise push? In fact, if you don't want to see advertisements, go to a generic amusement park because any park that licenses characters is doing so for advertising purposes. Go to Cedar Point if you dont want to see ads because almost everything at Disney promotes some kind of movie nowadays.

    And above all else, I think the wrap is cool-looking. Of course that's just my opinion but I think it's cooler than Monsters Inc Laugh Floor, NextGen, Johnny Depp Pirates overlay, etc.

  15. #30

    •   
    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California, United States
    Posts
    2,944

    Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

    I think it looks cool. I wish I could see it in person. I loved the Tron one a lot. I was lucky enough to be there while they had it.


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. looking for the ball kids get into and roll around
    By Hakuna Makarla in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 12:26 PM
  2. Did the Xmas decorations get taken down?
    By WatchYourHeadNStep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-22-2006, 09:09 AM
  3. An article about Disneyland in the SF Chronicle. Get ready to rant!!!
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 02:12 AM
  4. Disneyland Regulars - does the park ever get old?
    By snowflake in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 11:43 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-16-2005, 12:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •