Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Insomniac

The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

Marvel’s ‘The Avengers

I am suprised no one else mentioned this on here yet. I thought the TRON Legacy overlay worked really well but I don't know howi feel about this one. I thought there was something in Universal's contract that prevented Disney from using Marvel East of the Mississippi in the Parks...
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: The Avengers to get Monorail overlay!

Nobody is going to go to Walt Disney World just to ride the Avengers monorail. So while Universal might have some grounds, this sort of work will probably not hurt them too much. Supposedly Monorail Red will not work on the EPCOT Center Loop so that it never physically enters a theme park, thus skirting Universal's exclusivity. However, I seem to remember the wording being a bit more vague than just inside a theme park. It will be interesting to see if and how Universal responds now that the plan has been made public.

Who I really for bad for are the Guest Services Cast Members who will be stuck explaining that Marvel is not at Walt Disney World.

That all said, I still think it looks ugly and is a bad idea. On what grounds should Walt Disney World turn down other offers for monorail wraps? Why not a Disney's Vacation Club wrap? Why not a wrap for the latest show on ABC Family? It's all money being offered by other subsidiaries that will help make Walt Disney World's books look better.

• Disney Freak

I like the design, but I hate the idea. I hated the TRON one too, though. I don't want wraps on my pretty monorails. And either way, the Mississippi thing IS true, and Disney can't have a Marveland or something in WDW. It's all just kinda stupid. It's like a teenage girl going up to another teenage girl and saying, "Look! I own the same shoes you have, but I can't wear them because you have them, so I put pictures of me in them all over facebook!"
    Except, it's not like that at all.

I have to wonder is the Tron and Avengers wraps are an experiment with changing the look of the monorails, since they have not changed in 20 years. Besides, Disney sells Marvel merchandise in the parks, so that line has already been blurred.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I flipped through the contract and it seems this and the merchandise are allowed because they do not relate to a theme park land or attraction. My reading (and I am no lawyer) is that if pressed Disney would have to say this is a moving billboard, not a part of their greater theme park experience, that efficiency has completely trumped show.

• Shubisha

Disneyland monorail wraps: The Submarine Voyage reopening, Year of a Million Dreams. Things and promotions related to the park.

WDW monorail wraps: TRON, Avengers. 2 movie advertisements.

//Yes I know WDW did that graffiti mess decoration for YOMD and balloon stickers for Celebrate but TRON was their first wrap and they advertised it as such so I'm making them live with it.

ewwww

• -

This is awesome. I wish they would do something like that here in Anaheim. Does anyone know when it will start?

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    My reading (and I am no lawyer) is that if pressed Disney would have to say this is a moving billboard, not a part of their greater theme park experience, that efficiency has completely trumped show.
    Exactly. This is purely an ad for their movie that they have coming out. It is not an Avengers themed ride. That is exactly the loophole that Disney will use if pressed about it. It is a larger version of putting a poster a poster along the Mickey and Friends tram route here in CA. The only difference is that there, the ad is moving past people on the ground, the people are not moving past the ad.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

I've never understood why the WDW monorails are so boring (and ugly, imo) compared to the Disneyland ones. Disneyland has these:

And WDW's look like this:

White, with a thin strip of color down the side. Woohoo. I know Disneyland's used to look like this too... but that begs the question, why hasn't WDW bothered to update theirs as well?

Overlays typically don't look good at either park to me, so I guess they're pretty equal in that respect. I guess my point is, instead of these stupid overlays, they should be giving them all new permanent color schemes.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post
    I've never understood why the WDW monorails are so boring (and ugly, imo) compared to the Disneyland ones. Disneyland has these:

White, with a thin strip of color down the side. Woohoo. I know Disneyland's used to look like this too... but that begs the question, why hasn't WDW bothered to update theirs as well?

Overlays typically don't look good at either park to me, so I guess they're pretty equal in that respect. I guess my point is, instead of these stupid overlays, they should be giving them all new permanent color schemes.
    Well to start... Do only has three trains. Wdw has 12, and they are much bigger. Dl's new trains are retro to the original. Wdws already look like their originals
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

It's pretty tacky for being inside one of the few places I pay extra to NOT see advertising, but it does look pretty cool...then again, the Avenger's used to be my favorite comics growing up
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• Disney Freak

Quote Originally Posted by Santana View Post

NO! DON'T TOUCH MY MONORAILS!
    I love the monorails sooo much because of the old, original paint jobs. I like to know that they've always been that way. Plus, they're super cohesive and IMO pretty.
    Am I turning into a purist?
    Uh-oh.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Great find Bronco! Talk about an exciting, action packed overlay. What will these slick Avengers do next?!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

It would be nice for WDW to upgrade Monorails but that would be way too expensive.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

If WDW ever does update their Monorails, I hope they don't copy Disneyland's new/retro design. I'd like to see something original.

As for the wrap, meh. The beauty of this happening on WDW's Monorails is that they don't actually go into much of the parks (EPCOT being the only exception). I really wouldn't want to see this on Disneyland's version, though.
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast