Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• First star to the right..

Things to do around WDW w/out paying too much

Hey all east coast mc'ers. One of your fellow west coasters over here, and my gf and I are making the trek all the way out east for our first WDW trip!!! Been waiting for this for a long time, but I digress.

We are meeting friends out there, who are coming in from NY, but we are arriving a day earlier. We won't have tickets for the first day, so we need to find something to do.

What do you guys recommend we do on an extremely tight budget? I'm talking about something that costs less than a movie date (40 or so dollars). We are looking to stay at the Radisson at Lake Buena Vista (which looks to be just down the street) so they will probably have a shuttle to Downtown Disney.

Thanks in advance!

• Banned User

Re: Things to do around WDW w/out paying too much

You should eat at T-Rex Cafe. They have dinosaur themed things to eat and have dinosaur animatronics. You can pretend to your girlfriend that they are real and you can use your imagination to make it a one of a kind dinner. I have read that the food is very tasty and you can order food that's named after dinosaurs. I bet you and your girlfriend can get a meal for under $40 and maybe have like $10 leftover to buy something at the gift shop like a game or something that you can play in your hotel room after that. You can make a whole big Dino Day of it.

• First star to the right..

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    You should eat at T-Rex Cafe. They have dinosaur themed things to eat and have dinosaur animatronics. You can pretend to your girlfriend that they are real and you can use your imagination to make it a one of a kind dinner. I have read that the food is very tasty and you can order food that's named after dinosaurs. I bet you and your girlfriend can get a meal for under $40 and maybe have like $10 leftover to buy something at the gift shop like a game or something that you can play in your hotel room after that. You can make a whole big Dino Day of it.
    Sounds cool, how far is it from DTD?

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pan,

Downtown Disney is an excellent place to go...you'll love shoppin'...and it don't cost nuthin' just to look. I think you'll be amazed at the size of the place and, yes, that dinosaur place you've been talkin' about is right near the Downtown Disney Store...

Now...another thing you might consider is ridin' the Monorail. The Monorails at Walt Disney World are much bigger than they are at Disneyland...and they are free. So what you might want to consider is takin' the bus from Downtown Disney over to Epcot. But instead of goin' inside Epcot board the Monorail to the Ticket and Transportation Center. From there you can hop on one of the resort monorails and it will take you on a magic journey to the Polynesian Resort, The Grand Floridian Resort, and right through the Contemporary Resort. And...you'll see the entrance to the Magic Kingdom along the way...

Now, you can find a bus back to Downtown Disney from the Ticket and Transportation Center if you want or take the Monorail back to Epcot and catch the Downtown Disney Bus there...

Another thing I did on my recent trip is take the boat from the Parking lot of Disney's Hollywood Studios over to the Beach Club...they got a place there called Beaches and Cream...and I had a downright wonderful Banana Split there for around $10. Kinda nice to wander around the Boardwalk over in those parts too...and don't cost nuthin' to do that...unless you want to spend somethin'. I've always found it kinda relaxin' and fun just visitin' the various resorts...

Now, you oughta know that in Downtown Disney they've got a Ghirardelli Chocolate shop...go in the candy part there and you'll almost always find a nice person handin' out a free Ghirardelli Chocolate Square. On the other side...well...that's another favorite spot of mine to buy a banana split...a little
    cheaper than Beaches and Cream too, but, my gosh, is it good!

Have fun at Walt Disney World! The place is huge compared to Disneyland...but you are gonna feel right at home in no time at all...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

I second the idea of jumping on the monorail at Epcot. You can get a nice tour of the park for free! You can also head to the Magic Kingdom ticket and transportation center and hop on the resorts monorail. Grab dinner and a drink at the Contemporary, or head to the Poly for drinks on the beach or sushi at the Kona Island sushi bar! The resorts really are attactions in themselves.

I absolutely love playing the mini-golf courses Disney has, my favorite is Winter Summerland
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Metro-Retro Historian

You could also head over to the Boardwalk resort. The backside is the actual boardwalk which has some nice shopping restaurants and the occasional street performer. The Boardwalk, Yacht & Beach clubs, and Swan & Dolphin are all connected by footpaths around the same body of water. It can be a nice little evening stroll. There's also boats that connect them to Epcot and Hollywood Studios, which like the monorails, are also free to ride. The Swan or Dolphin (don't remember which) also has the Fantasia mini-golf course.

Downtown Disney also has a little boat that takes you from the far side of the West Side to the far side of the Marketplace. That can be a fun little cruise too.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

There's a carriage ride over at the fort wilderness camp ground and port orleans. I think it's about $10 a person.

• All-American

Well let's see:

- A round at Fantasia Gardens or Winter Summerland mini-golf: $12/person. Second course half-off.

- A half-hour rental of one of the Boardwalk's famous surreys (a four-person bike) for a scenic trip around the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club: around $20.

- A nice, pleasant walk or ferry for a scenic trip around the Boardwalk, Yacht Club, and Beach Club: absolutely free (GREAT way to spend a day IMO - check out the hotels)

- A ride in the Characters in Flight balloon at Downtown Disney with views of all of WDW: $18/person.

- A trip to Downtown Disney to check out World of Disney and other stores, complete with chocolate sample at Ghirardelli's: free - and that includes the chocolate sample. Combine with the above for added effect.

- A monorail trip around the Seven Seas Lagoon to explore the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian hotels (easily could fill a day): absolutely free. Lunch or dinner at one of the hotels optional. Fireworks viewing from the beach of the Polynesian recommended.

That should get you started.

• Banned User

Everyone keeps talking about the banana split at Beaches & Cream --- so if I was you I would go do that. It sounds like it might be the best banana split ever invented!

Maybe you could also play a scavenger hunt game with photos or something. That would be free, and it would just involve taking pictures of things around the parks. Like maybe the different birds or animals that can be found...or maybe taking a picture with someone from every state if you can work up the nerve to ask where people are from. That would be a fun game to play and you can maybe have the banana split be the prize to whoever won, your girlfriend or you. And the loser has to watch the winner eat the ice cream and the loser can't have any!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Downtown Disney, take a trip on the Epcot monorail and back (you don't have to get off when you reach the park), take a trip on the resort monorail line and check out the Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Contemporary, then take a boat from the Contemporary to the Wilderness Lodge. Check out one of the mini golf courses on property (Fantasia Gardens or Summerland/Winterland) or check out the Pirate's Cove one at the Crossroads (which is right by the hotel you plan on staying at... BTW I stayed at that hotel when it was a Days Inn in 2000 and it was very nice. since Raddisson is a step up from Days Inn...). There's also the Premium Outlets on Vineland (just down the road from DTD).

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    There's a carriage ride over at the fort wilderness camp ground and port orleans. I think it's about $10 a person.
    Howdy Tony The Beat,

Actually its $45 I believe...but you sure are right...a quiet carriage ride...especially durin' the early evenin' at Fort Wilderness...could make for a downright wonderful memory. All the details about the thing can be found on Disney's Official Site... Course, you can also go for a horseback trail ride over thar for the same price ($45 a person). You do have to sign up in advance for those horseback rides though... Visitin' the barns at the Tri-Circle D ranch don't cost nuthin'...that's where those big ol' horses that pull the streetcars on Main Street live...it's a quiet, peaceful place to wander around. The tradin' post and a restaurant is nearby...as is the Hoop de do Revue there in Pioneer Hall. That's a dinner show...costs about $60 or so, per person...but it's lots of fun...lots of wonderful food too...chicken and rib barbeque, great bread, salad, and sides and it's topped off by a huge, delightful strawberry shortcake!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

Don't go to T-rex!
    It was extremely NOISY and over priced!
    My kid kept covering her ears when the dinosaurs performed. Not very romantic either.
    You might want to hit some of the local gift shops.
    Souvenirs are a lot cheaper outside the parks... or just do some window shopping.

• Minion

Visiting the fancy resorts is a great idea. I always mean to budget more time to do that.

Blog Entries

There are a ton of things you can do for very little money and have a great time on the property.

1. Go to Downtown Disney.
    2. Go resort hopping. My favorite way to do it is to hop on the monorail at the TTC and take the resort loop, getting off at each resort and just checking out the cool things at the resort.
    3. Once you're done, ride the monorail to Epcot. Its a nice long ride and you get to see Epcot which is enjoyable.
    4. You can rent a boat to take around the lake at Downtown Disney for 30 minutes for about 40 dollars.
    5. You can take the boat from Downtown Disney to the Port Orleans hotels and back. This is a very enjoyable ride and I always like riding past the tree house villas.
    6. You can play mini-golf at one of the courses that WDW offers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast