Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• WDW will always be home.

Disney deliberately misleading/deceiving guests?

Test Track will be closed from this coming Monday to sometime in September. If you weren't aware of this, you could be forgiven, because it appears that Disney has gone out of their way to prevent guests from finding out. Over the past several months, Disney has:

Quote Originally Posted by R.A. Pedersen
    • Put out press releases that stated an April closure in January and then deleted those from their press websites.
    • Listed April to September closure dates on their Travel Agent calendars and later deleted those as well.
    • Told numerous guests via their call centers that there was no scheduled closure for Test Track.
    • Have nothing listed on their Disneyworld.com website about the closure.
    • Acknowledge the closure to media contacts, but only if directly asked, as of yesterday.
    • Have told Test Track cast finally that they will not be scheduled to work at the pavilion during the closure period. Also, have informed the cast that they are now allowed to tell guests that the ride will be closed as of yesterday.
    • Still have the call center and website informing guests that there is no scheduled closure/refurbishment or renovation for the Test Track pavilion.
    • And of course, they plan to release the park map on the 16th that ambiguously avoids stating the attraction itself is actually closed.
    Quote from: And Now Disney is Just Screwing With Us and Files Test Track Permit | The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia

I am not a conspiracy theorist, but it would appear as though Disney is going out of their way to prevent guests from receiving advance notice that Test Track will be closed during their impending visit. The only other explanation is someone really dropped the ball here, but the list above requires too many people dropping too many balls simultaneously to be plausible, IMHO, especially when this is not their SOP for an attraction closure.

So it would appear as though Disney wants guests to believe that Test Track will be open for their visit over the next few months, so that said guests don't potentially alter their vacation plans and deprive WDW of short-term profit. IMHO, this is extremely disappointing. Does Disney care about the potential backlash when guests who had every reason to believe Test Track would be open find that it's not? Does Disney care about how this looks to those of us who are informed enough to put the pieces together? Most importantly, does WDW actually care about the experience, satisfaction, and happiness of their guests? I have to think that this is the antithesis of the type of honesty, customer service, and genuine concern for guests that Walt would have wanted for his parks.

I'm interested to hear MiceChat's take on this. Am I making a big deal out of nothing, or is Disney being intentionally deceptive and way out of line here?

EDIT: For the record, I am not against the Test Track refurb. IMHO, Test Track desperately needs the attention and updates, and I'm happy to see it finally being brought into the 21st century. I just think the way that Disney seems to be intentionally trying to prevent guests from finding out about the closure is very disappointing and inappropriate.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 04-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Disney deliberately misleading/deceiving guests?

I think if we're going to talk conspiracy somebody wants a huge guest backlash against this closure. If this project was not being paid for by GM / Chevrolet then I would maybe postulate that somebody thinks the refurb schedule is too much and needs to be cut back further so as not to upset guests. A positive conspiracy could be that somebody is fishing for more for EPCOT Center by showing how much rests on just one attraction. Most likely though I think the communication between Disney and GM was not that great and Disney has just completely dropped the ball. Disney's screwed up bigger things in recent years.

This is a very inappropriate act on Disney's part but am excited for the update!

Test Track was supposed to have closed for refurb months before this, they just kept putting it off, so now that they have everything ready they are putting in it motion as quickly as possible.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Most likely though I think the communication between Disney and GM was not that great and Disney has just completely dropped the ball. Disney's screwed up bigger things in recent years.
    The thing is, if Pedersen's list is accurate, this represents not just failing to announce the refurb, but actively trying to cover it up - including telling CMs to lie to guests. I'd like to believe this is all a mistake, but if Pedersen's list is true, it's hard to see this as "accidental."
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

He also says the paperwork was just filed. So that only furthers my belief that something was causing this project to stumble until just now. The information was held back and even reversed because it was no longer a solid plan.

• Not a Crook

Since nearly every other non-emergency closure is scheduled and announced way in advance, I seriously doubt Disney would start some nefarious intentional deception out of the blue for one attraction. It's pretty much an Occam's Razor situation. What makes more sense, Disney secretly planned downtime and used all their power to hush the situation up to deceive their customers, or a refurbishment went off schedule and was finally approved at the last minute before all the notifications could go out?

(Not to mention some of the points don't even make complete sense for a conspiracy. The park map not being 100% clear would mostly only confuse guests already inside the park, not deceive potential visitors to the park.)
    "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I completely agree with Disney Romantic here. Does anyone really hang their whole vacation on one attraction? And even if they did, is Test Track really that big of a deal? Seems to me that they just screwed up their public information. Disney is such a big company with so many divisions, and it's easy for one hand to not know what the other hand is doing. That's what appears to have happened here.

So after re-reading the bulleted points, I agree with the consensus. I mistakenly read "Also, have informed the cast that they are now allowed to tell guests that the ride will be closed as of yesterday." as "Also, have informed the cast that they are not allowed to tell guests that the ride will be closed as of yesterday." which is considerably more damning than what it actually says.

I do think there is a legitimate potential motive behind what Pedersen seems to think occured, and that's that Epcot is so dependent on one attraction for appealing to a certain demographic (the "thrill seekers"/stereotypical teenagers who have TT and maybe Soarin'/Mission: SPACE to interest them at Epcot) and for managing crowds. Without TT, Soarin' will likely have an absolutely crushing wait (even worse than normal), and Epcot - the park that is usually the best at handling crowds - may not be able to manage the summer-level crowds. Personally, I think the refurb is needed in spite of this, but I can see someone thinking that people being scared away from Epcot by the loss of TT would be a big enough concern for Disney to not heavily publicize it.

I agree that Occam's Razor would suggest that what happened is initial plans were made for the refurb, followed by the budget being brought into question and the refurb potentially being cancelled, followed by a last minute saving of the refurb and now it's being treated as a normal refurb.

I know that Pedersen often has an axe to grind against management, but in this case I thought he had a fair amount of evidence on his side. In hindsight, I think I misinterpreted that. My apologies for unnecessarily ruffling any feathers.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 04-12-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    -Walt Disney

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I do think there is a legitimate potential motive behind what Pedersen seems to think occured, and that's that Epcot is so dependent on one attraction for appealing to a certain demographic (the "thrill seekers"/stereotypical teenagers who have TT and maybe Soarin'/Mission: SPACE to interest them at Epcot) and for managing crowds. Without TT, Soarin' will likely have an absolutely crushing weight (even worse than normal), and Epcot - the park that is usually the best at handling crowds - may not be able to manage the summer-level crowds. Personally, I think the refurb is needed in spite of this, but I can see someone thinking that people being scared away from Epcot by the loss of TT would be a big enough concern for Disney to not heavily publicize it.
    A hellish summer because Test Track could be a good thing. It could make some realize the the current state of Future World is not quite working. There is needs to be more than just a couple of marquee attractions that do most of the work handling crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    A hellish summer because Test Track could be a good thing. It could make some realize the the current state of Future World is not quite working.
    I hope and pray this happens.
    -Walt Disney

I'm pretty bummed it'll be closed during my trip. It was one of the attractions I really looked forward to.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The whole thing is fishy - there is no reason once they started informing front-line CMs that they couldn't update their operational calendar to match what they were actually doing.

There is certainly something more afoot here with this re-imagining... we just don't know why
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Minion

My guess is that it's a case of the left hand not knowing what the right one is doing.

• Shubisha

Since it was originally being announced and then pulled back, my guess would be that the plan fell through and they were planning on holding back the refurb yet again, but then it was fast tracked and this is them trying to pull together their original plans as quickly as possible. There'd be nothing malicious in that scenario, just an unfortunate by-product of them not being able to publicly state "oh btw the talks fell through we're holding off" in the first place and hence now can't say "oh wait we're back on, sorry for the sudden notice." I think we can assume that this refurb is in the public's best interest anyways(it's not some giant show downgrade to any of our knowledge), so the fact that they're doing it at all should show good intentions on their part.

All this aside, I still think April-September is a god awful time to do a refurb on this type of attraction. January-June would've seemed smarter.

P.S.
    I also like how they always try to make the backstage appear to just be some random forest of trees on the park maps, and have the outside track for this ride going through the trees even though we clearly see as guests that we're going over a parking lot and the show involves us being on a "test track" anyways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast