Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How do we fix DHS?

DHS needs help! The park to me right now seems like a collection of random rides. I think that if they created a land themed to Star Wars that would help. But what do you think?
    Last edited by A113PoCfan; 04-14-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Said the same thing twice, sorry.

Re: How do we fix DHS?

I may be biased after working at DHS for a year and a half, but I really like it! What it really needs at this point are a few more high-capacity attractions without height restrictions, one of the main complaints you hear from Guests is that there are too many shows compared to the attraction selection. Still holding out hope for the Muppet area from the original plans...
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Banned User

Here is what I would like to see for DHS:

1. Remove the "giant moonbounce sorcerer's hat" (and hopefully burn it somewhere)
    2. Build a Star Wars Land...with areas that look like Tantooine, Coruscant, and Naboo
    3. Build a Muppets Land that looks like Muppet Studios
    4. Build the Maroon Cartoon Studios for Roger Rabbit with the three Roger Rabbit rides that were originally planned for DHS (I am presuming that the Roger Rabbit sequel is going to happen in the next five years)
    5. Completely rehab The Great Movie Ride and put in movies that are relevant to audiences today (but not stupid ones like National Treasure just because it's a "tie-in" of some kind)

My problem is many attractions don't fit well with the theme. Like the Beauty and the Beast show. While a good show it does not fit well, IMHO. I also agree on needing more attractions without height restrictions. I hope that someday a Pixar Land will appear too. There are rumors about a Cars Land on the site of the back lot tour. HISTC playground could be rethemed to a Bug's Life. If Disney is willing to give DHS more money it could be on the same scale of Epcot and Magic Kingdom, which it does not feel like it is not on right now.

• Banned User

I really like A113PoCfan's comment about Pixar.

That would be pretty cool to see attractions for all of the Pixar movies...including ones that are coming up like the unnamed projects that are set inside the human body and the one that's about dinosaurs being alive today if they had never been destroyed.

Possibly the dinosaur Pixar movie will become part of Animal Kingdom in time, but the human body one, Monsters Inc, Bug's Life, Toy Story, Nemo, and Cars would be great at DHS. I know that Nemo is already at Epcot so I doubt they would make another Nemo thing.

Toy Story and Bug's Life would work well close together because both could have everything giant sized since the Toys and the Bugs would see everything as giant sized and I think HK Disneyland has a land like that where everything is giant sized.

Thank you DragoHarley!

I think creating Toy Story would be pretty hard task though. A huge indoor Andy's Room would be pretty cool. But how would you hide the show building though...

There could be a lot of good rides for the younger set themed around Toy Story. Hopefully we will see some more Pixar in DHS in the future.

(I think the human body one would fit better in Epcot's WOL pavilion.

I think DHS should evolve into a DCA, where it's a park where Disney is allowed to experiment.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well I for one think they had oughta do somethin' with that Animation building...like bring back some animators working on animated films...that would be good. And bring back that "Back to Neverland" film that was so enchanting and fun. Animation is the heart of Disney...always has been and always will be...and so let's fix that part of the studios.

And, I see no reason why they should be ashamed to call this place the WALT DISNEY STUDIOS instead of Disney's Hollywood Studios. Pixar's role right now is mighty popular and yes it should be expanded...as should the Star Wars theme...and the Muppets...but bring back some real TV shows where folks can be a real audience again... and, for gosh sake, build a real back lot with a Western Street...and small town America street...and things like that...always have an exhibit promoting the the films yet to be released...put some excitement back into "coming attractions"...sell the sizzle.

And, yes, the Great Movie Ride needs to be revamped and updated every now and then...that's not sayin' they can't keep some of those classics...but, time is marchin' on and GOOD MORNING VIETNAM was a 150 years ago...as was SISTER ACT...and BLAZING SADDLES...not that anyone of those three should have been featured anyway...

American Idol? Why? And, my gosh, stop all that Disney Channel noise in the center of the park...people are just not interested in that screaming and screeching and hollaring... Take Good Morning America out of New York and put them at the Studios with a live studio audience...

And bring back those old 8 x 10 stills to Sid's...put some Disney stuff in there...some of the old posters and things.

Make the place exciting...plus it up with more things truly Disney...both old and new...but mostly old...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

OK here goes:

Remove the hat, and the stage, the ugly speakers (Terrible eye-sore)
    Less shows more rides
    update great movie ride
    either remove, re-imagine, or somehow fix the backlot tour
    update the muppets movie
    Re-imagine the Indiana Jones stunt show
    more and better counter-service food
    Star Wars Land... heck yeah! Why hasn't that happened yet? Star Tours is OK, the update is very good, but come on! That should be the tip of the iceberg (Potterworld, anyone?)

How 'bout expanding "one man's dream"? It's cool, it could be better, no?

Everyone says more rides without height restrictions... yes (mother of four) but another thrill ride wouldn't hurt one bit (thinking of the simple-but-stellar California Screamin)

Regarding the hat, if they need some kind of giant symbol (cinderalla castle, the Tree at AK, SE at Epcot; fine, but the hat is a terrible failure... own that, and move on
    Last edited by lily23; 04-14-2012 at 04:14 PM.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DragoHarley View Post
    Here is what I would like to see for DHS:

1. Remove the "giant moonbounce sorcerer's hat" (and hopefully burn it somewhere)
    2. Build a Star Wars Land...with areas that look like Tantooine, Coruscant, and Naboo
    3. Build a Muppets Land that looks like Muppet Studios
    4. Build the Maroon Cartoon Studios for Roger Rabbit with the three Roger Rabbit rides that were originally planned for DHS (I am presuming that the Roger Rabbit sequel is going to happen in the next five years)
    5. Completely rehab The Great Movie Ride and put in movies that are relevant to audiences today (but not stupid ones like National Treasure just because it's a "tie-in" of some kind)
    they cant build maroon studios due to the legal issues over the roger rabbit property, and i would argue that many of the movies in that ride are quite relevant. the ride is about classic movies and old hollywood, not the new fads of today, it makes the ride timeless focusing on this time of the golden hollywood era

---------- Post added 04-14-2012 at 10:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by A113PoCfan View Post
    Thank you DragoHarley!

I think creating Toy Story would be pretty hard task though. A huge indoor Andy's Room would be pretty cool. But how would you hide the show building though...

There could be a lot of good rides for the younger set themed around Toy Story. Hopefully we will see some more Pixar in DHS in the future.

(I think the human body one would fit better in Epcot's WOL pavilion.
    the midway mania ride load area is already a giant replica of andy's room, you cant have two of the same location. as there is already a toy story attraction and meet and greet in pixar place i think they should focus on other pixar properties.

Take all the pearl harbor stuff, I can't stand it anymore

• Insomniac

DHS needs to go from being a park that lets anything movie or entertainment related having an attraction to a park with actual different themed lands that immerse you! DHS all feels the same IMO unlike Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, or Animal Kingdom. It all feels like a jumbled mess of themes all unified under one broad and slightly vague theme.

Retheme rock n' Rollercoaster to a 1930's gangster movie ride. Add a rocketeer dark ride using the Pandora's box ride system and retheme that whole area to 1930's Hollywood similar to what DCA is getting. Also add a new trolley system.

Then remove Sounds dangerous, the lake area, and the current American idol completely and retheme the area to a lucasfilm studios area. Build an updated version of the Indiana jones ride (like Disneyland's but with new upgraded vehicles with more movement and better effects so that it is noticeably different from Dinosaur). Also add a speeder bike kiddy coaster that races through the Forrest of endor. under this Rollercoaster add a new redwood creek challenge trail (DCA) style play area in the wood beneath the Roller coaster where guests can explore the houses of the lovable ewoks. This would give the park a green area that it is missing.

Expand the muppets studio to include the great Muppet movie ride, muppet vision 3d, and a muppet studios tour that takes you through the studios and shows you all of the buildings on property and showcase animatronic muppets in each "building" (each building will just be a different room in a larger show building).

Then create a new area encompassing the backlot tour area and LMA. Theme it to a stunt movies. Add a stunt driving attraction (like test track but mechanism allows car to rotate 360 degrees to simulate stunts. Also add a stuntman academy attraction where guests can go through training for what it takes to be a stuntman. The area would also be home to an attraction where guests load into omnimovers and move through show scenes with mater, lightning, and some characters from planes who show exactly what it takes to be an expert stunt driver and airplane ace.

Last would be animation courtyard which would be expanded. Add a new animation dark ride similar to the great movie ride. Also add a new toon town area. The whole area would be very similar to Toon town in Disneyland except for it would be more elaborate. Toon town area would have Mickey's, Minnie's, goofy's, donald's boat (part of a larger attraction), and oswalds (queue area for toon town heroes ride). Donald's boat would serve as the queue for the Donald's navy attraction. It would be basically bumper boats but interactive targets around the pool would go off when the targets were hit by water that is sprayed from the boats. Then Oswald's would home to a new ride into Ostown (town from epic Mickey video game).
    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Well I have recently finished my idea of (new name) Walt Disney's Hollywood Studios. I will go studio by studio.

Hollywood Blvd.
    Welcome to the Golden Age of Hollywood! Everywhere you turn new adventures await you.
    I imagine this to be the Buena Vista street plans just flipped around and still having The Chinese Theater. The new Hollywood Blvd. would continue through sunset Blvd. with new work done on ToT. In my dream WDW everypark would be connected by Monorail.

Walt Disney Studios
    Welcome to the Disney's studio where the magic began! Here you will be able to explore Walt Disney's Dream, Disney Animation, Disney Immagination, and take a spin on the Caroears!
    This area would be located exactly where Rockin Roller Coaster and Animation Courtyard sit. The complex would be a huge replica of the first Disney studio used till 1939. The Caroears would actually we in a new Sorcers Hat that is less cartoony. And the carousell are the ears.

Disney Channel Studios
    Here you will be emersied into your favorite Disney Channel shows! Before you all get made that there is a whole land dedicated to the channel, I felt it belonged here as it is property of Disney and kids main appeal. Located in Echo Lake there would be a Phineas and Ferb mini mini land, a Zack and Cody Hotel mayhem and Cruise trouble. The rest of the area would be sound stages and in one would be the 50s prime time Cafe and the large one would house filming studios and attractions.

Pixar Studios
    Welcome to Pixar here you will find rides based from your favorite Pixar films and even a tour describing how they are made! This would be located on the right side of Streets of America and would have three rides based on Pixar films, The Making of Pixar tour, and a small restaurant.

Muppets Studio!
    Meet your favorite Muppets here and learn all about movies Muppet style! This area would be exactly like the original plan and would be right next to Pixar Tudios and above Disney Channel Studios.

FUTURE EXPANSIONS:

Lucus Film Studio
    Step into the world of Starwars! Ride several new Star Wars based attractions and more!
    This area would be above and on the right of Walt Disney Studios, it would be Star Wars based only and would feature three new rides, two restaurants and would be the largest "Studio" in the park.

Marvel Studios
    Now this land sorry Studio would be a small land in the area where LMA used to be. It would have Avanger character based rides only and would provide more of a teen area.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That concludes my take on what should be done over at HWS also notes.
    Hat gone and where fantastic and Beauty and the beast were is replaced with Paradise Peir.

Sam!

I like DHS. Do not like Backlot Tour or Sounds dangerous. Not everyone likes Starwars.bring back original Disney like Peter Pan Wonderland or Alice in Wonderland adventure. Sick of Indiana Jones skit.

I disagree about using Disney Channel in DHS.

Phineas and Ferb are fun, but I think there a fad. I don't want Hannah Montana sort of things crowding space for better attractions. Low budget TV shows have nothing to do with Hollywood of movies.

Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Pixar are the way to go. These movies are famous and beloved by many. DHS needs more of them and less of Disney Channel.

Thanks to everyone for responding! I feel very welcome here now!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast