Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Post Convert a DLR Lover? (Trip advice, please!)

My mom is seriously considering a trip for my parents and I to go to WDW this summer in mid-late June (currently looking at June 23-26 with one day at each park) and, while nothing is definite, I'm getting more and more excited by the minute.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about DLR and how to make the most out of a day there being a SoCal native like hitting up the E-tickets in the morning after snagging a FastPass somewhere, the best places to eat, which shows to watch and which to skip, how to get around, etc. Of course, never having been to WDW, I have no idea what to expect. I've looked through these forums and have found a handful of tips, but I'd love to hear from people who are more experienced and can actively engage in some semblance of conversation.

Anyway, here are some of the things I'm wondering about:
    • How does one get from one area to the next in each park? I've read that the pathways are much larger than in DLR, but does it make a noticeable difference in foot traffic? Are there stroller issues like in DLR? I know that WDW isn't as compact as Disneyland, so does that mean a much more strenuous journey between rides and lands?
    • What can I expect for stand-by line times? I tend not to wait in stand-by if the line is longer than 20-25 minutes, but I know that there are often more loading docks in WDW in DLR. Is it offset by the larger crowds that lines are about the same? Along that line, how do summer crowds in WDW compare to summer crowds in DLR?
    • What are some essentials I have to do at WDW that I can't do at DLR? At any other Disney park? What about some rides that are at DLR but are vastly different/"better" () at WDW? What are the best shows, or will a day at each park really allow me to attend the vast majority of them? Single-Rider options? With FastPass return times being enforced here, I feel like I really have to pick and choose which ones we go for else I'm left running left and right--so which should be at the top of my list?
    • Best places to eat? I know about the dining plan, and I don't think we're opting for that, so what are my other options besides churros and turkey legs?
    • Any other things you wish you'd known at your first visit to WDW? Special spots you'd like to share with me? Little things I can do that won't impede upon the rest of my vacation?

Thank you so much in advance. I realize I've asked a lot of questions, but I figured this'd be the best place to ask since Google and the forum's search function didn't offer me many answers. If it's any consolation, I'd be more than willing to help you figure something out for a trip to California. :P

• Minion

Re: Convert a DLR Lover? (Trip advice, please!)

Hey ohmyjustin, I'll do my best to answer your questions

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    How does one get from one area to the next in each park?
    Well I assume here you mean around the resort since inside the parks you just walk . there a variety of modes of transportation depending on the hotel your staying at and the location your going to. buses are the primary mode of transport and they can take you from almost any hotel to almost any park and vice versa. Then there's the famous monorail which takes you from the magic kingdom to the TTC and from the TTC to Epcot Finally there are the Disney boat fleet which operate in several different locations. the first group is bay lake and they take you between the MK area resorts and MK and there are also larger ferries that take people from the TTC to MK. The second group operates on Crescent and South lakes and takes guests to DHS, Epcot, and all the resorts in between. finally the third group is in the downtown disney area and they link the port orlean's resorts with DTD and provide transport from one side of DTD to the other. There's also the possibility of walking from certain resorts to certain parks depending on their location.

I've read that the pathways are much larger than in DLR, but does it make a noticeable difference in foot traffic? Are there stroller issues like in DLR?
    Iv'e honestly never found it to be an issue, the pathways are definitely larger for the most part however certain parks in WDW definitely have bottlenecks to watch out for. MK is the worst offender for this with two big problem areas being the old fantasyland area between peter pan and small world (at least until constructions completed on the new pathway) and in adventureland by the flying carpets. these are usually the two big offenders for compact crowds and tons of strollers. Also the end of sunset blvd in DHS and Africa at DAK can also be pretty crowded at times. WDW as a whole however has a lot more open space in the parks then DL as it simply has more space to work with. there are always a few spaces (even during busy season) where you can spread out and have little crowd activity. Epcot is the best for this as it has a ton of open space and a fairly relaxed atmosphere.

I know that WDW isn't as compact as Disneyland, so does that mean a much more strenuous journey between rides and lands?
    You will have to walk a little more to get to rides but it is hardly noticeable as your just enjoying your surroundings. At the end of the day though if you chose to have an aggressive touring plan then I would recommend a midday break to head back to the hotel and hit the pool or something for a couple of hours just to relax and kick back, that way you can enjoy your vacation a bit more and be better prepared for extra magic hours later at night.

What can I expect for stand-by line times? I tend not to wait in stand-by if the line is longer than 20-25 minutes, but I know that there are often more loading docks in WDW in DLR. Is it offset by the larger crowds that lines are about the same? Along that line, how do summer crowds in WDW compare to summer crowds in DLR?
    its a tough question as every ride has different expected waits. I would recommend getting the wdw app if you can as it gives you up to the minute ride wait times for every attraction in the resort. your planning on going during the beginning of summer so the crowd levels will be rising at this point, however you will just miss the fourth of july crowd which will definitely be a good thing. the crowds don't really compare between the two places because as i said earlier there is more space for them to disperse into at WDW however both places as you know are fairly busy during this time.

What are some essentials I have to do at WDW that I can't do at DLR? At any other Disney park? What about some rides that are at DLR but are vastly different/"better" at WDW? What are the best shows, or will a day at each park really allow me to attend the vast majority of them?
    Some great rides that aren't at DL include: Mission Space, Spaceship Earth, Expedition Everest, Kilimanjaro safari's, Mickey's Philharmagic, Test Track (wont be open), Rockin rollercoaster, the Great Movie Ride, and a bunch more that should really be checked out. I think the best part of coming from one coast to the other is experiencing all the attractions you can do at your "home" resort and seeing if their better on the other side or what the differences are. Some of the rides that I've found are much better in Florida include Tower of Terror, Jungle Cruise, and Winnie the Pooh but thats just me, go out and experience them all and see for your self! If your only spending one day at each park, chances are your not going to be able to see all of the shows. some of the big ones I recommend would be lights motors action, indiana jones stunt show, festival of the lion king, and finding nemo.

Single-Rider options? With FastPass return times being enforced here, I feel like I really have to pick and choose which ones we go for else I'm left running left and right--so which should be at the top of my list?
    There aren't very many single rider opportunities at wdw there is one for expedition everest and another at rocking roller coaster and im pretty sure that's it. there are a few attractions that are fast pass hotspots in each park. at AK Expedition Everest is the go to fastpass followed by the safari and Dinosaur. DHS will be especially easy for you as you can ride star tours and TSMM whenever you want at home as they are identical so instead head over to sunset blvd for rockin roller coaster and tower of terror fast passes. Epcot again is made a little easier because test track is being refurbished and wont be open and soarin is identical so head over to mission space for fast passes and those should be the only ones you will need for the day. Finally MK will be the biggest toss up as there are so many attractions you could fast pass depending on how you feel, I would recomend going for either splash or space mountain fp's first then looking at jungle cruise, pirates or peter pan if needed. dont skip next gen queues if you dont have to their fun to experience.

Best places to eat? I know about the dining plan, and I don't think we're opting for that, so what are my other options besides churros and turkey legs?
    hmm that's a toughie all depends on what you like to eat. at AK the Yak and yeti is the best table service which serves a variety of asian inspired dishes while i find the best counter service to be flame tree barbecue with ribs, bbq chicken, and pulled pork sandwiches. In DHS the best table service is the brown derby however it is extremely busy and requires long in the future reservations. I would recommend one of the really fun dining options DHS has instead for table service which would be scifi dine in where you eat in a car in a replica of a drive in theater or 50s prime time diner where you are literally treated like a member of the family and receive some great home cooked food. as for counter service I would go to the fairfax fair courtyard which has a bunch of small counter service areas in the general location. At MK there aren't many good table service restaurants but the best of them I would have to say is Columbia Harbour House is liberty square offering a north eastern kind of menu with some general food as well. For MK counter service I would go to either pinochios village haus where you can get a table overlooking fantasyland or the inside of its a small world, or cosmic ray's where you can watch Sonny Eclipse perform. Finally Epcot by far has the best dining options. your safe eating at any country in the world showcase table or counter service and being quite satisfied. theres also a great counter service in the land pavilion and a restarurant where you can watch the fish in the large aquarium at the living seas so anything you pick here you should like.

Any other things you wish you'd known at your first visit to WDW? Special spots you'd like to share with me? Little things I can do that won't impede upon the rest of my vacation?
    the only thing left to say is enjoy yourself and don't get too caught up in commando mode, enjoy yourself but don't think you have to get everything done in one short trip, its impossible. take your time and enjoy all the themeing there's so much more of it at WDW then there is at DL especially in the little details. also try out the new sorcerers of the magic kingdom game if you have time, its supposed to be great.

if there's anything else don't hesitate to ask, hope you have a great time!

• Minion

The major culture shock thing I noticed going between DLR and WDW is that, in general, the DLR crowds seem a bit mellower. I didn't see quite so many people running like chickens with their heads cut off to get to the next ride as I'm used to at WDW, and people seem a bit more aggressive to me at WDW. YMMV, obnov.

Definitely visit the Carousel of Progress! It's corny, but a classic with a lot of history.

Food is one area in which WDW has it all over DLR. I've never eaten in Animal Kingdom, but here are my favorites in the other parks:
    MK: Quick service, Columbia Harbor House; Table service, Liberty Tree tavern
    Epcot: QS, Sunshine Seasons (The Land), TS; anything in Word Showcase
    DHS: QS, Starring Rolls CAfe (cappucino!); TS, '50's Prine Time Cafe

For snacks, the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace in Adevntureland is divine.

• former CM

Oh my Justin, as you know there is soooooo much on these subjects you can find online.
    Goofy Donald's post above is an impressive start!

First, I think late June is a most excellent time to go because almost all of the attractions will be open. (I've read that many large groups of teens from Brazil visit in July and cut into lines. This would bug me, but I've read on some threads that they are fun folks.)

Bring umbrellas and disposable ponchos. (Umbrellas are 99.9 cents and the ponchos are 2 for 99.9 cents at our 99 Cents Only store. If you want to be Mr. Schmancy Fancy, I think ponchos are $1.49 at Target in the camping section.) It will likely rain more than once, and you might be treated to an awesome thunderstorm! The air in Florida has this stuff called humidity; it's interesting for a vacation, not that you'd want to live in it. (Like the cold air at ski resorts outside of California, but I digress.) And the palm/coconut trees look like they are surrounded by cement. Cool!

Pack all of your Disneyland T-shirts. This will inspire conversations with nice, Disney-loving people from all over.

Consider having a bunch of food and bottled water delivered to your hotel room from a grocery delivery service. Defeating Disney's attempt to hold you captive to their prices is a good feeling! You can order the food before you leave California.

I'm going to focus on the title of the thread. For a Disneyland lover to appreciate WDW, I'd start at the Magic Kingdom and its superior castle. The best way to arrive at the MK is via a boat or monorail.

WDW's Tomorrowland is different than Disneyland's so be sure to ride the Peoplemover and (as ttineagel suggested above), the Carousel of Progress. Of course, use Fastpasses and see things like the Country Bears and the Hall of Presidents that we don't have on the west coast. The Bears show is actually better with a packed, lively theatre--I think having two less crowded theaters at Disneyland actually hurt its popularity. Get to the park when it opens and use fastpasses. Make advance dining reservations.

Take a break from the MK and take the monorail and visit the Grand Floridian. If you're on the dining plan, eat at the California Grill atop the Contemporary resort, preferably during the fireworks. Take a boat from the Magic Kingdom to the Wilderness Lodge and (budget permitting) eat at Artist's Point. Take a bus from a park for a meal at the Animal Kingdom lodge. The resort hotels at WDW are a must see. The ones I mentioned are as impressive as Disneyland's Grand Californian, and they are surrounded by more expansive landscaping.
    EPCOT is awesome, especially for eating. See Illuminations , and take a break to visit the adjacent Boardwalk and Beach and Yacht Club areas. I love the French and China films.

Get in and out of the Studios--take in the Walt exhibit and WDW's superior Tower of Terror, but don't fight the crowds for the similar, but slightly less impressive Fantasmic. Use FP to ride Toy Story Mania just because you can.

The Animal Kingdom is beautiful. The day you visit this park might end nicely with a meal at the AK Lodge.

Hope that's helpful!

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-18-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: More aesthetically pleasing paragraphing

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Consider having a bunch of food and bottled water delivered to your hotel room from a grocery delivery service. Defeating Disney's attempt to hold you captive to their prices is a good feeling! You can order the food before you leave California.
    How would this be done? I'm going May 16th- 25th. I'd love for water and stuff like this to be delivered. How much does something like this normally cost?

• Minion

O_O Goodness! This is so much more information than I'd expected to get. Thank you so much! I'm going to spend a while filtering through the information, cross-referencing with WDW's official website and trying to figure out which things I want to prioritize and which I can skip (for now ) but honestly, this was amazing.

JCruise, yes, there are so many other places I could get similar information, but I feel this forum is so much more authentic than the other sites that really want to keep things objective. Too many of those websites are too afraid to say which rides/shows are worth the time and which could better be left for another day.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The biggest shock most DLR vets get their first visit to WDW is how huge everything is compared to Anaheim. Plan on a bit more walking than you're used to at Disneyland.

Weather. June will be hot, humid and it will rain nearly every day sometime between 3pm and 6pm for maybe an hour (and we're not talking light right... we're talking torrential downpour). Umbrellas/ponchos are a must (I prefer umbrella as it can get very hot/sticky under those plastic ponchos with the humidity). Also after it rains, expect even MORE humidity. Not trying to scare you off, just prepare you for Florida weather as I know you don't get much humidity out in SoCal. You'll get days where it'll be 90 with a heat index of 98 (or more).

As for attractions to do at WDW that you can't at Disneyland:

At MK:
    Carousel of Progress
    PeopleMover
    Country Bear Jamboree

Skip Stitch's Great Escape and Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor... your IQ will thank you.

I also suggest giving our version of Haunted Mansion a spin as we have some stuff Disneyland's doesn't have (interactive graveyard queue, never-ending staircase room in the attraction).

At Epcot:
    Everything (especially Spaceship Earth, Living With the Land... Mission: Space if you're up to it)
    Be sure to check out the live performances too (Chinese acrobats in China, drummers in Japan, Mo' Rockin' in Morocco, The British Revolution in UK, Off Kilter in Canada).

At DHS:
    Rock & Roller Coaster
    The Great Movie Ride
    And again, I recommend you trying our version of Tower of Terror as it's different from DCA's version.

I haven't been to AK, so I can't help there.

As for food... I can mainly just recommend counter service restaurants as I hardly ever do the table service ones. I like to eat when I'm hungry, not when a reservation time tells me it's time to eat. So with that...

At MK:
    Columbia Harbour House
    Pecos Bill's
    Pinocchio Village Haus

At Epcot:
    Sunshine Seasons
    the Cantina in Mexico
    Fish & chips stand in UK
    Table Service:
    Rose & Crown in UK
    Le Chefs de France

At DHS:
    Pizza Planet (I actually liked the pizza I had there, it was WAY better than the pizza the parks served years ago)
    table Service:
    50's Prime Time Cafe

At Downtown Disney, I recommend the following restaurants:
    Earl of Sandwich
    Wolfgang Puck (Express or the lower level restaurant on the Westside)

Hope this helps!

Sorry found out where. Garden Grocer.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
    How would this be done? I'm going May 16th- 25th. I'd love for water and stuff like this to be delivered. How much does something like this normally cost?
    Hello Tony, I haven't done this, but I will the next time we go. I just Googled "best grocery delivery for Disney World" and found three websites that recommended "gardengrocer.com". There is a delivery charge ($12?) and a minimum order ($40?), and I read that the Swan & Dolphin hotels will not accept grocery deliveries.

I would order a case of bottled waters, other beverages (I think they won't deliver alcohol), some portable snacks for the parks, and I might bring baggies form home to put them in. If my room has a fridge, I would order milk and cereal. Going through the store's website might give you other ideas when you see the products they offer
    Now you know as much about this subject as I do.

Have a nice time there there in May!

• Mkcoastie

The first question I have for you is where will you be staying? this is actually a very important question for WDW (more so, I would say, than at DLR)

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Hello Tony, I haven't done this, but I will the next time we go. I just Googled "best grocery delivery for Disney World" and found three websites that recommended "gardengrocer.com". There is a delivery charge ($12?) and a minimum order ($40?), and I read that the Swan & Dolphin hotels will not accept grocery deliveries.

I would order a case of bottled waters, other beverages (I think they won't deliver alcohol), some portable snacks for the parks, and I might bring baggies form home to put them in. If my room has a fridge, I would order milk and cereal. Going through the store's website might give you other ideas when you see the products they offer
    Now you know as much about this subject as I do.

Have a nice time there there in May!
    Milk and cereal, and other assorted snacks, are also sold in the resort gift shops! Milk is probably one thing you might not want to have delivered.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mkcoastie View Post
    The first question I have for you is where will you be staying? this is actually a very important question for WDW (more so, I would say, than at DLR)
    As much as I'd love to stay at a Disney Hotel, we're saving a couple hundred bucks by staying at a nearby hotel and taking a complimentary shuttle to the resort.

WDW is spread out more than DLR. This means that it takes much longer to see the same number of rides, and this might frustrate you a little. With that thought in mind, plan on everything taking longer. Don't try to keep a DLR resort pace at WDW.

Now for the good news. The food is remarkably a lot better at WDW, so give yourself some time to enjoy the meals. Some dining is better than others, but I'll leave it up to you to go through some of the dining threads to get an idea as to where to make reservations.

Concerning the attractions, you're going to want try out the rides/attractions that are not in DLR. I say this because most the DLR equivalents are better. Again, there is a thread about this and many blog posts with folks giving their opinion. I just wouldn't waste my time doing what you can experience at DLR. This means spending a lot of time at EPCOT and taking in World Showcase.

Besides World Showcase, Animal Kingdom is a pretty cool park, but having been to San Diego Zoo, I'd opt for the Zoo instead of Animal Kingdom. However, the food at Animal Kingdom is really good, and it has one of the best shows in WDW:

Festival of the Lion King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This show really makes a trip over to Animal Kingdom worth it.

So a quick plan to check out FL:

Day 1: Hit EPCOT on day of arrival. Plan an evening reservation and take in the nightly show along with a walk around world showcase.

Day 2: Hit Animal Kingdom. Grab fastpass for the Safari then go to lunch. Hit the Safari after lunch and Everest. Walk around the park and enjoy. Check out the Lion King Festival and then return to EPCOT for a late night dinner. Animal Kingdom closes early.

Day 3: Hit DHS first thing in the morning. Grab a fastpass for Toy Story Mania. Hit the new Star Tours and any other rides until it's time for your fast pass. Once finished, go over to MK and hopefully check out the evening entertainment, some rides, and grab a late dinner. Otherwise, hit fantasmic if your timing is right. Yeah, it's a pain planning out the nightly shows.

Day 4: Hit the remaining Disney attractions that you want to ride again or haven't had a chance to check out yet. I left MK pretty thin. However, the 3D Mickey show is pretty cool, and the castle is a lot bigger. But the park is pretty underwhelming now compared to DL given all the construction.

Day 5-7: Go over to Universal. You'll need three days now. Spend your evenings either in City Walk or return to EPCOT or WDW resort restaurants for dinner. Since you'll be driving back, it's ideal to hit the resort restaurants now, rather than mess around with the Disney bus service.

If the weather is accommodating, hit a water park as a zero day.

• Nerd.

Pretty much I concur with what people said above. I would just advise to actually LOOK at a map of MK. Don't assume the lay out of the land to be the same as Disneyland. The first time I went to MK, I felt like I was such a moron because I was trying to find the path behind Big Thunder to take me into Fantasyland. doh!

Also, I HIGHLY recommend making a touring plan, especially going to the parks on their recommended days. It will make a huge difference in crowd levels etc. Check out this site for suggestions on recommended park days:
    06 June 2012 Crowd Calendar

Have a blast. Drink lots of water. Take breaks. You will walk a WHOLE lot more at the parks vs. DLR. Try to keep an open mind when comparing. Enjoy the awesome meals.

• Minion

Thank you guys for more great advice! I'm really looking forward to the trip and this is the kind of thing for which I'm proud to be a part of Mice Chat. I've got a lot more to look at, including perhaps looking at a tentative schedule for each day (I'd just gone so far as planning which park/day) and looking at a park map--which is something I hadn't considered before. Thanks!

It might be more helpful if I gave a bit more insight into my vacation: My family and I are planning to get base tickets and not park-to-park tickets. If a resort closes early, we'll probably hit the hay back at the hotel because we're hitting a different park each day (and yes, we are going to Universal Studios for two days after 4 days at WDW). Our schedule is obviously not optimal to see everything, which was one of the many reasons I came here to ask questions, so we'll have to make compromises.

...and by "we", I mean me, since my parents will likely go with whatever I say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast