• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Are those wonderful Horse drawn Streetcars gonna vanish from Main Street U.S.A.?

Howdy Pards,

Well, they've been a part of Walt Disney World and Disneyland since opening day...those wonderful horse drawn streetcars carryin' folks right down the middle of Main Street U.S.A.. But, with crowds increasin' all the time...will they too eventually vanish from the parks?

I sure hope not. Why, I remember a time when they weren't the only horse drawn vehicles headin' for the castle at Disneyland...most all of 'em of course vanished from the park years and years ago now.

But those beautiful, horsedrawn streetcars...pulled by those huge, beautiful horses...they are still around, sorta.

I remember takin' my wife's picture by one of those streetcars years and years ago... she's gone on to Heaven now...but that picture is still here to remind me of those "good ol' days" we spent together in the park.

With things movin' so fast down there around the hub...these days...runaway mine trains, mountain roller coasters, and such...one wonders how long we'll be hearin' the clop, clop, clop of those hooves on Main Street. Sometimes there just plumb ain't no room...

But, I'll tell ya...I hope those horses never vanish from the parks...they are a link with yesterday...and, to my way of thinkin' we just ain't got nearly enough links with yesterday left these days...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-27-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Re: Are those wonderful Horse drawn Streetcars gonna vanish from Main Street U.S.A.?

I highly doubt that something like this would ever vanish. It's a tradition that everyone has come to love and is embedded in Disney tradition.

• Minion

Re: Are those wonderful Horse drawn Streetcars gonna vanish from Main Street U.S.A.?

ORDDU: I could see them vanishing easily enough. As it is, I don't believe the horse drawn cars are even being used in the afternoons in Florida's Magic Kingdom. I think they are only used during the morning hours. Disneyland, on the other hand, uses their horse drawn cars all day long, if I'm not mistaken.

Howdy Pards,

On my recent trip to Walt Disney World I hopped on a boat over to Fort Wilderness and the Tri-cicle D Ranch...that's where they keep those big ol' beautiful horses. I always kinda find it downright peaceful to visit over there and touch noses with those huge critters... You ain't supposed to pet'em ya know...

I chatted with a feller who works there and he told me they still run the cars in the mornin' for a couple three trips up and down Main Street...but, if ya wanna see 'em ya gotta get there early.

Now, on occasion they are also runnin' a singin' and dancin' show off one of those horsedrawn streetcars throughout the day...the performers ride the car up and down Main Street stoppin' every so often to put on a show.

Ahhh...for the good ol' days at Disneyland when horses were travelin' every which way down Main Street...and, if that weren't enough, you could catch a stagecoach or covered wagon over thar in Frontierland and head off into the backcountry...

But, the days of ridin' those wonderful streetcars, may just be fadin' into history...unless they can somehow reduce the crowds a little... If I had a young family I'd sure be showin' up at the park early so my youngun's could have the experience of hearin' the clop, clop, clop...as they ride off towards the castle...

I sure hope you are right TONY THE BEAT. Taint no doubt that horses are embedded in Disney Tradition...no doubt about that at all...

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-22-2012 at 02:21 PM.

• Minion

Are the other Main Street vehicles, like the jitney, still even running? I haven;t seen them in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    Are the other Main Street vehicles, like the jitney, still even running? I haven;t seen them in a long time.

I do see them everyonce in while. On saturday the Jitney was out at 9am when the park opened. They use the trolley daily for a welcome show called the "trolly parade". The Trolley comes down Mainstreet from the Hub to Townsquare. Along the route is has performers in period costumes dancing along to such tunes as "Walking Down the Middle of Mainstreet USA" and "The Trolley Song".

The performers who are at first riding the trolley, to get off and do a short dance. Dance ends, performers get back on and the Trolley goes a short distance and all repeat the performance until it gets down to the fire house. From there the leave and go back stage. The Trolley will pause, take on guests as passengers, and then travel one way back up to the Hub with out any show, just guests riding along. It will then stage there and wait to repeat the entire process again. It does this throughout the morning, allowing for three or four trips that guests can take from townsquare to the hub. However due to "trolley parade" there are no trips offered for the return trip.

Briefly last summer, the trolley was used for guests in both directions in the middle of the afternoon, but this was short lived an only last a week or two.

Upon close inspection, the trolley itself is in poor shape. It paint is faded, the wood needs more then just a coat of varnish, and general upkeep will likely remind you of Six Flags in the 1990's. Disney can do better.

As far as I know, the horse carriages only run through the morning hours. I hope they don't disappear completely, but at the same time, I understand why they would. Attendance is absolutely mad, and the carriages certainly can get in the way if people aren't paying attention. I don't see them being extinguished completely though.

• Mkcoastie

Oh I hope not. I understand crowd issues......but this is such a tradition and a nice touch. This is one of those things that set Disney apart. There are lots of parks that now have nicely themed entrances. None of them have trolleys and horse drawn carriages added in for that extra umph.

• Nerd

They are always out on less crowded days, and usually in the earlier part of the day.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

I just rode the trolley yesterday. Wonderful ride. And yes the Jitney car and the Fire Engine were running also. When it gets busy it does seem that they keep them off main street. Common sense really.
    Thanks Walt for having a vision and sticktoittivness. Thanks Roy for being by his side.

Howdy Pards,

It does this grizzled ol' feller's heart good to hear what you folks are sayin' about those horse drawn trolleys on Main Street U.S.A.

Sometimes I think the youngun's today are so focused on gettin' to those thrill rides down yonder that they just don't hear us old folks sayin', "Did you see that beautiful horse over there?"

Take the small ones for a ride if you get the chance...let'em hear that clop, clop, clop... Some things
    are kinda wonderful when you think about 'em...and nobody seems to think about 'em till they are gone forever... Which reminds me...get a picture or two...while you still can... Reckon some things are worth rememberin'...

Yep, it's good to hear the things you folks are sayin' here...good to know I ain't the only one.

Wild Ol' Dan

Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Hi Folks,

I'm currently writing a book series on Walt Disney World railroads. The second book in the series covers the horse-drawn streetcars.

I would like to include some quotes (paragraph or two) from folks who have special memories of the horse car and/or reasons why you find the horse car special to the park and yourself. This includes any special photos you would like to share with the readers of the book.

Please post or leave me a Micechat message, if interested. You will of course be fully credited for the quote/photos!

Take care,
    David Leaphart