Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food = $$$

• Jedi Knight

Exclamation Food = $$$

Planning on a trip next summer, for Walt Disney World, staying 5 nights but I'm trying to see how much to save for food, is it crazy expensive?

I always go to Disneyland so I know how it can be a little pricey, but I want to know on average how much $$$ I should save up!
    And any places that are cheap, within the Disneyworld resort?

Let me know!

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Food = $$$

Quick service food is generally a bit cheaper in WDW than DL. TSRs are probably about the same on both coasts, although obviously variable based on quality of the TSR. If you're familiar with DL food prices, hopefully that'll help you ballpark - your exact food costs will obviously depend on how much/how often/where you eat.

There isn't a ton of variability in terms of QSR prices, but if you're looking for cheaper TSRs that still have good food quality, I'd recommend The Plaza Restaurant at the MK and Trail's End Restaurant at Fort Wilderness. See also: WDW Moms Panelists on Best Dining Values in Disney World | the disney food blog
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

I also have found that the kids meals at most QSR are quite good, and much cheaper. At the Electric Umbrella for example, you can get a cup of mac'n'cheese, and your choice of grapes, carrots, yoghurt, or fries and a small drink for under 6 bucks. If you order a kids meal and both sides as fries, it's a regular size side of fries. If you do this at one of the QSR that has free refills, it doesn't matter that the cup is small, and you can ask for a bottle of water instead. If you're not a french fry person, you can also order the items from the regular menu and ask for no side, that cuts a few dollars off too.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

There's a serious lack of variation offered in kids meals. It becomes same-old, same-old way too often.

• former CM

There are companies such as Garden Grocer that will deliver food, water bottles, etc to your hotel. I've read that there is a $40 minimum and a $12 delivery charge. Althouth I've loved Walt Disney World in the past, I've resented feeling slightly captive to their food prices, so if we take Magical Express instead of renting a car, we'll probably do this and use Disney Visa dollars to pay for some meals at sit down restaurants.

I've read that the Swan won't accept food deliveries so check with your hotel before, and services cannot legally deliver any alcohol.

I'm going in 3 weeks. I used this to plan an estimate on how much to budget. Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

I got by on $50 a day per person by going with water instead of a beverage. This resulted in one pastry for breakfast, a sit down lunch, and a sit down dinner.

Can you ordder a kid's meal if you don't have a kid? I was at the Electric Umbrella and was wanting to order that mac n cheese, but since I am 35 years old I figured they would frown upon me ording off the kid's menu.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Starshyne View Post
    Can you ordder a kid's meal if you don't have a kid? I was at the Electric Umbrella and was wanting to order that mac n cheese, but since I am 35 years old I figured they would frown upon me ording off the kid's menu.
    I know a lot of folks that will order kid's meals because the portion sizes are more reasonable. If they question it, just tell them that you're on a diet

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Starshyne:1056747904
    I've never seen them question this because of the fact that NOBODY does...my gf almost ALWAYS restaurants, McDonalds, it doesn't matter, orders the kids meals she likes the portions better...other than running out of options after a few days I don't see a problem arising from this...
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

Beverages and snacks add up, and you can bring both of these with you. We took brita water bottles and granola bars and fruit snacks, and then did quick service rather than table service.

I agree with the others - food prices are pretty comparable. Alcohol will really set you back, so if you like to have a glass or wine - or several - at dinner like we do, than start saving those pennies!

McDonald's never says anything when I order a Happy Meal, but there are many resturants around here (not fast food) that will not allow you to order from the kid's menu. My Grandma is on a very strict diet due to an illness and does not eat very much. She is 86 years old and wanted an item on a kid's menu. The manager had to come out and basically scolded the old woman for trying to order from a kid's menu.

The truth is that I am on a diet (42 pounds lost since Jan 1) and I was trying really hard while I at WDW to keep on my weight-loss plan. If I had realized that no one would have said anything, I would have ordered from the kid's menu for sure to get smaller portions instead of throwing out some of what I had ordered. Oh well...I still lost 2 pounds while at WDW! Now I know better.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

My wife and I went last year and faced the same dilema. After researching the restaurants we wanted to eat at we decided to purchase the quick service dining plan. We were very pleased. We calculated what we would have paid vs. What the plan was. We figured we saved about $120 a piece.

Quick-service restaurants will allow you to order from the kid's menu, but table-service will not.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• One More Day

I'm always a sucker for staying in the parks and eating unless I'm at downtown Disney in CA, for me it becomes a question of do I want to walk far to save money or stick around and just remind myself it's a vacation

Disney World Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast