Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Minion

Re: Tower of Terror Blow-OUT!

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Meg View Post
    I don't know if it actually happened, but the physics is definitely possible. Standard elevators move 400 ft./min and create a pressure differential of .08 cubic inches. Obviously, this differential would increase as speed increases and could reach dangerous levels without proper ventilation. Combining these facts with the observation that the temperature inside the ToT shaft would be abnormally higher than the temperature in a standard elevator shaft (due to the heat given off by machinery), you can consider the gas law (PV=nRT) and notice that when temperature decreases, the amount of air inside the shaft stays the same, and volume decreases, pressure will rise rapidly. It is highly unlikely that engineers didn't notice this when constructing ToT and most likely included some form of ventilation, but it was probably not enough to keep pressure levels at a safe reading; therefore, they may have made the cars grated to provide better air flow. Sorry to be all science-y, but I'm an engineer and we deal with stuff like this a lot. So there's the proof that it could happen, but I really don't know if it actually did happen.
    well yes theoretically it could occur if it was just walls and a box drooping down and i see where your coming from however I was inferring that building code was taken into consideration with the construction of the elevator which requires ventilation in the shaft extensively at the top and bottom as well as periodically along the elevators route. the reason the floor was grated from what i have heard is primarily cleaning purposes, if someone hurls for lack of a better word it just goes straight down to the base of the attraction where an attendant can clean it as opposed to being stuck inside of the ride vehicle with all of the other guests. It is surprising to hear though that the walls were actually blown out by the elevator, would have been cool to see, obviously they didn't build the track like a real elevator shaft lol.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    If you don't mind could you provide some proof?
    I'm afraid I do mind. You can either take a leap of faith and trust me, or you can ignore me, but know that I only post things that I know are 100% accurate. I also have a perfect track record on MiceChat when it comes to Disney facts, news, and rumors. You could say that if I confirm something here, it's as good as hearing it from someone who was there when it happened.
    -Bill

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Hey Bill, I'm writing this with a smile on my face, even though my words may not exactly convey this. Your post above is just about the craziest thing I've ever read. Most folks who read what you're posting don't know you, and have no knowledge as to whether you are correct or accurate or not. To say that people need to trust you just cuz you're always right is ludicrous. So for me, if you can't provide any more info that gives you a bit of credibility, I for one am going to, as you say, ignore you.

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Hey Bill, I'm writing this with a smile on my face, even though my words may not exactly convey this. Your post above is just about the craziest thing I've ever read. Most folks who read what you're posting don't know you, and have no knowledge as to whether you are correct or accurate or not. To say that people need to trust you just cuz you're always right is ludicrous. So for me, if you can't provide any more info that gives you a bit of credibility, I for one am going to, as you say, ignore you.
    I've met Bill personally. He is an insider, and knows as much as anyone on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    I'm afraid I do mind. You can either take a leap of faith and trust me, or you can ignore me, but know that I only post things that I know are 100% accurate. I also have a perfect track record on MiceChat when it comes to Disney facts, news, and rumors. You could say that if I confirm something here, it's as good as hearing it from someone who was there when it happened.
    Eh, OK then I was just asking for a source, not sure why that's so secret.

Quote Originally Posted by DLForever View Post
    I've met Bill personally. He is an insider, and knows as much as anyone on this forum.
    So for you he has credibility. For me he's just a guy on a website. And I agree with Twist - what's the big secret?

• Mouseketeer

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Eh, OK then I was just asking for a source, not sure why that's so secret.
    If Bill or his source works for the Disney company they are not able to disclose any information. Doing so would risk their jobs and legal action.

I personally back up Bill on this based on my own sources, but I cannot divulge anything more for the above reason.

The gist of the story is true, though the details are off.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

I can certainly understand someone being in an inside position and having to be careful about disclosing information. Where I have a hard time is when Bill says we need to trust him just based on his word, with something of an attitude if he's questioned.

Plus this isn't a big company secret, I mean they reveled they screwed up in the past (Hatty). Sorry I just have my doubts.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Just reposting this, in case you guys missed it... it WAS confirmed by an Imagineer, here is an actual source, not just MC users

Quote Originally Posted by yoyoflamingo View Post
    Pretty sure that's where I heard it from. I know I've heard it from an Imagineer, and after checking my books, I'm sure it's from one of the behind the scenes specials, just haven't put the DVDs in yet.

at the 3:57 mark

Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Thanks for that, NN.

Not to nitpick, but the Imagineer says the blew out the walls of the building, not of the elevator car itself. Obviously the grating in the car is to eliminate that, but it makes more sense for the pressure to be outside of the car, not inside it.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12