Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "The Musical Quil"

Tower of Terror Blow-OUT!

Here's the story:

The elevators weren't originally planned to have a grated floor and ceiling; during the first full scale test run, the elevator dropped causing the air pressure in the shaft to blow out the walls in the basement. Plans were quickly changed allowing better air flow and that is why you can see up and down the elevator shaft during your journey.

Is this true?
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

•   
    • ALL DISNEY ALL THE TIME

Blog Entries

Re: Tower of Terror Blow-OUT!

I dont know about the walls blowing out but the it would make sence that the floors and ceiling need to be constructed that way , but I think it also adds to the thrill having the air rush around you

• Shubisha

I've heard the same. Doesn't mean it's true necessarily but it's got a decent chance of being true, it was only during testing and all.

I've also heard that the laser guidance system kept having problems with mirrors in the 5th dimension testing room and the elevator cars kept crashing through walls until they changed it.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    I've also heard that the laser guidance system kept having problems with mirrors in the 5th dimension testing room and the elevator cars kept crashing through walls until they changed it.
    That doesn't make much sense, UoE uses a very similar guidance system (metal guide wires) not sure how they could break that.

• Minion

this is totally a million times false, the physics just don't work for that to happen. it was even the basis of a mythbusters episode a few years ago about a regular elevator shaft.....the myth was busted.

• Inappropriate

Yeah I feel like building something like this, this problem (if it existed) would have been recognized and done away with on the drawing board.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Minion

If this were true though, it would be pretty freakin awesome.

Now that you mention it, it would be interesting to know why the ceiling isn't covered.

Pretty sure the grating for the ceiling is so you feel the air rush past you. It's not just the sides and ceiling, the floor is grate as well. So when someone gets sick on the ride, they have to shut that side down to clean because it gets everywhere including on important sensors.

Never heard about this blow-out theory, but I highly doubt it
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    That doesn't make much sense, UoE uses a very similar guidance system (metal guide wires) not sure how they could break that.
    UoE isn't in a big room full of mirrors and ToT's 5th dimension was apparently going to be.

• keh!

I actually did hear that story that the OP posted. I watched a documentary about ToT/WDW on Travel Channel (i think) a few years ago and an Imagineer was interviewed saying that the walls were blown out or something. they had to build some ventilation system on the sides i think. and i have heard what sounded like air coming out from the side of ToT in DCA. so maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    UoE isn't in a big room full of mirrors and ToT's 5th dimension was apparently going to be.
    UoE, ToT and GMR all use the same vehicle guidance system. It is a thin metal wire laid into the floor and a magnetic reader under the car. If you can watch a GMR vehicle coming into dock, you'll see a small black box that sticks out a little, that is the reader.
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

FYI... the "rumor" of the walls being blown out is true.
    -Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    FYI... the "rumor" of the walls being blown out is true.
    If you don't mind could you provide some proof?

I don't know if it actually happened, but the physics is definitely possible. Standard elevators move 400 ft./min and create a pressure differential of .08 cubic inches. Obviously, this differential would increase as speed increases and could reach dangerous levels without proper ventilation. Combining these facts with the observation that the temperature inside the ToT shaft would be abnormally higher than the temperature in a standard elevator shaft (due to the heat given off by machinery), you can consider the gas law (PV=nRT) and notice that when temperature decreases, the amount of air inside the shaft stays the same, and volume decreases, pressure will rise rapidly. It is highly unlikely that engineers didn't notice this when constructing ToT and most likely included some form of ventilation, but it was probably not enough to keep pressure levels at a safe reading; therefore, they may have made the cars grated to provide better air flow. Sorry to be all science-y, but I'm an engineer and we deal with stuff like this a lot. So there's the proof that it could happen, but I really don't know if it actually did happen.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    I actually did hear that story that the OP posted. I watched a documentary about ToT/WDW on Travel Channel (i think) a few years ago and an Imagineer was interviewed saying that the walls were blown out or something. they had to build some ventilation system on the sides i think. and i have heard what sounded like air coming out from the side of ToT in DCA. so maybe?
    Pretty sure that's where I heard it from. I know I've heard it from an Imagineer, and after checking my books, I'm sure it's from one of the behind the scenes specials, just haven't put the DVDs in yet.

at the 3:57 mark

Last edited by yoyoflamingo; 05-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast