Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Re: What should be added or changed at Epcot?

If they do an update, going back to older concepts probably won't be what happens, nor should it. The only thing they should "go back" to is a unifying theme.

The look of Future World is hodgepodge the way it is. A lot of the great theming of old still shines through, so it wouldn't be hard (relatively speaking) to fix those unnecessarily flourishes (such as when they removed the inappropriate wand) and add appropriate ones. But they do need to give that part of the park a new identity, with the old sensibility. We don't need another attraction named Horizons, World of Motion or Wonders of Life, per se. But we do need attractions that "go back" to being cutting edge designs that teach us something. Maybe we don't need to learn about the history of transportation again, or the development of health sciences. But there are so many other things to look into and examine as an attraction with that old sensibility, that the potential for better concepts is enormous. One person on MiceChat once recommend an Arts pavilion, which sparked all kinds of ideas in my own head. I can't imagine an Imagineer not being inspired by the idea. I once recommended a Space pavilion that focuses on the development of space travel. (Because, let's be honest, that moment when you turn to face the earth on Spaceship Earth is momentous and suggests the totality of effectiveness space would have as a themed ride through.) Something non-sci fi with no cartoon characters worked in for no reason. Energy doesn't have to be twenty minutes of film, and we certainly have ideas about where it's going and what it will one day become. Politics aside.

The only things I can think would actually work if brought back as is would be the iconography (though, icons can and should be refreshed from time to time) and the "Radok Blocks" with an update. There's still nothing quite like those in the real world and twenty years later are still quite amazing.

Everyone suggests such MASSIVE changes, which I think Disney would be willing to undertake, but I think smaller changes could go a long way.

First of all, even if the themes aren't as unified as they were, Disney should think of a common system for the Future World logos. It is obvious that all the current ones were designed in isolation from one another. It was better when they were all in circles and had a similar style. I am not necessarily advocating anything retro.

Secondly, music used to be a really prominent part of Future World. Now it has gone by the wayside. I think bringing back the old songs, or writing new songs for each pavilion, would do wonders.

If I had to go with one big change, it would be to update some of the Circlevision offerings with the Turtletrek technology seen at SeaWorld. I'm not suggesting to "tear everything out" and start all over. Just work with what is already there and make it better!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    And I almost forgot: bring back the Jeremy Irons version of Spaceship Earth. I don't care how many kids got put to sleep by that version. The new Judi Dench version is just horribly cringe-worthy.
    No, bring back the Conkrite version.

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 11:08 PM ----------

lmao. Yeap. Bring back Horizons.

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 11:32 PM ----------

After reading through all the comments, here's my list:

1) Passion should be added. Get Imagineers who are passionate about their assigned pavilions, and get management to get out of their way in making it happen Remember Walt's idea about "edutainment". That's what EPCOT was designed by WED to be.

2) REVAMP JOURNEY TO IMAGINATION AND BRING BACK THE RAINBOW TUNNEL AND THE UPSTAIRS PLAYGROUND AND THE DREAMFINDER!

3) Bring back corporate sponsorship of major attractions (or at least cross promotions/advertising) to futureworld. Send people out to aggressively seek sponsors (like Apple, Google or Microsoft, etc., as well as others, like Progressive...the list goes on) But don't view it as operational revenue, rather, use the dollars earned strictly for "perks", such as character walk-arounds which help set the stage. That way the bill is sustainable.

4) Nemo theming is fine, but the Living Seas is not. For the second largest saltwater aquarium in the country (behind ATL, iirc), they do a really poor job of maintaining the facility. Outside of the hydrolator coming back (god, I miss that), I think money should be spent on human assets to wander the floor and educate people about WHAT they are looking at. At one point, that pavilion was the largest sea water aquarium in the world, and Disney has absolutely shat all over that asset, instead of "edutainment" as Walt and WED envisioned. I envision cast members doing presentations about what fish are doing what in the aquarium, etc...youknow...engaging the audience. Right now it's a very dead place, outside of turtle time.

5) Universe of Energy is STILL ground breaking (the solar panels) and needs a major overhaul. Ellen's corny jokes just don't cut it. I don't expect much from her, as she was never more then a B-level comedian in the first place. The original Exxon presentation was far superior. I don't think they should go backward, but consider...energy is not only a huge political topic, but one that will be with our civilization forever as we continue to advance technologically. A well thought out and balanced presentation, informative and entertaining for both adults and children, would be nice. I'd like to see a pavilion that goes through all the different energy sources (e.g. nuclear, solar, wind, fossil fuel, hydroelectric, etc.) and compares and contrasts them. Imagine rounding the corner and feeling water spray on your face from a huge waterfall dam...etc...the physical images that could be displayed on that dark ride are amazing, but they fall back on 30 year old animitronics, a B-grade comedian, and crappy movies.

6) Bring back Horizons, or move the carousel of progress into a revamped pavilion where wonders of life is.

Well, I could keep going. I love EPCOT...and I'm sad to see it the way it is now. The international pavilions I'm actually very pleased with (though as other commentors have stated, they could use a few more rides). It's Futureworld that is obviously in neglect.

As I've stated to other people...Disney is not Six Flags, and Disney Park Management should realize that. Sourin' is nice, but it has nothing to do with "The Land" and frankly, I don't find the ride that fun or educational. It is akin to the ending of Horizons, which was far superior overall as they built you up to the experience with the dark ride, then let you "choose a way home".

It's just a movie on a big round screen and you are being lifted up by a crane. Big friggin deal. I do it every trip (with a fast pass, for sure, as the queue is terrible)...but I'm not overly fond of the ride.

I do like Mission Space, but again, it's a one time ride. As is Test Track. The ride itself is boring, and it's marketing the thrill. The key to the older rides was the details.

You'd ride it again and again, because each time you rode it, you'd notice something new.

Thrill rides don't have details. Or if they do, you are so stuck in the thrill that you don't notice them.

Disney isn't Six Flags, and I wish they'd stop trying to make it that. At least with EPCOT.

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

One more comment on mission space...they could have done a better job creating the illusion. Star Tours does a better job, but even it is flawed. Once you see the simulator (or more importantly other simulators)...it breaks the imagination. Line of sign designs could have easily kept the illusion going...not sure why they didn't do that (in both attractions).

In a perfect world were TDO isn't being an arse about budgeting: gut everything in Future World (well maybe not the Land), rebuild pathways, rebuild the reflector pools at Innovention plaza, harass Siemens until they give budget to complete the ending sequence in SSE, remove any leftover from the Millennium celebration, destroy WoL and construct a proper space pavilion, rebuild Horizons taking a more modern approach (using design elements from the M:S facade on the front of the building), rebuild everything with more of an edutainment theme, rebuild Imagination from scratch using elements from the 83 version and a trackless system, remove any Pixar presence in the park, demolish the Odyssey Pavilion, remove any ABC presence in the park, rebuild the entrance plaza to be more modern, find a nicer way to put the Leave a Legacy plates on the wall on the sides of the plaza thus leaving the plaza itself clear for nicer scenery, expand World Showcase (there are 6 spots available for expansion), add some sort of projection show that talks about the history of the human race on SEE, put back the Raddok screens in UoE, update the park BGM, add more floats to Illuminations, add more E tickets to the park, rename the park to EPCOT (what the hell is an "Epcot"?), update the turnstiles to look more modern and bring back some of those interesting AA meet and greets.

• Minion

* Make Imagination not suck anymore. Bring back Dreamfinder in the ride and in a new 3D film. Upstairs Imageworks is open again. Add to the entertainment at the pavillon with a improv show featuring Dreamfinder and Tapestry of Dream's Dreamseekers.

* Have the Spaceship Earth script not suck anymore. New narration by either Patrick Stewart, Sigourney Weaver or in another Tapestry tie-in, use the Sage of Time as a host. Descent actually has content now instead of blue lights and triangles.

* I'm okay with Nemo in the Seas, but ditch some of the sequel rehash feel of the ride's story in favor of something hosted more by Mr. Ray and get some educational stuff in the ride and not just in the Seabase as it is now.

* Update Soarin, revive Wonders of Life in a fashion that doesn't become dated fast. Wonders of Life would receive a successor to Kitchen Kaberet/Food Rocks, possibly leaning towards the latter and using Weird Al's Eat It as a theme.

* New Horizons: Revival of Horizons with a few Meet the Robinsons elements like a Joyce-designed version of the Futureport, a brief stop into that future in the new "Looking Back at Tomorrow" segment and narration by Cornelius, Franny and maybe Wilbur but the future prediction half is more looking at what ours has potential to be.

* World Showcase: Put attractions in Germany (definitely Rhine River), the United Kingdom and Japan using some of those shelved concepts.

* Egypt as a new pavillion featuring another boat-ride inspired by Ra's daily journey into the skies at day to take a look at life in Ancient Egypt and the Egyptian Underworld of Duat at night where with Ra we face the giant demon snake Apophis and his minions. After escaping with a few spells, we see a weighing of the heart ceremony from the Book of the Dead and Osiris points the way back to the land of the living. Essentially a longer, Egyptian flavored Maelstrom.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    In a perfect world were TDO isn't being an arse about budgeting: gut everything in Future World (well maybe not the Land), rebuild pathways, rebuild the reflector pools at Innovention plaza, harass Siemens until they give budget to complete the ending sequence in SSE, remove any leftover from the Millennium celebration, destroy WoL and construct a proper space pavilion, rebuild Horizons taking a more modern approach (using design elements from the M:S facade on the front of the building), rebuild everything with more of an edutainment theme, rebuild Imagination from scratch using elements from the 83 version and a trackless system, remove any Pixar presence in the park, demolish the Odyssey Pavilion, remove any ABC presence in the park, rebuild the entrance plaza to be more modern, find a nicer way to put the Leave a Legacy plates on the wall on the sides of the plaza thus leaving the plaza itself clear for nicer scenery, expand World Showcase (there are 6 spots available for expansion)...
    I'm not sure how much I agree with what you said after that, but for that alone...

I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

The biggest problem with EPCOT today is a lack of focus. The purpose of Epcot Center was basically to be a permanent Worlds Fair. The pavilion setup, the focus on the future and world unity... It was just like an old Worlds Fair. I feel like Test Track was one of the first signs that that vision was being lost. Rather than focusing on the future and improvement of the world, it was a thrill ride set very much in the present. Finding Nemo was another big step backwards, as it introduced "Disney" into the park. Before that movie and character tie ins were unheard of in Epcot.

If Disney could just step away from their film properties and desire to over crowd their parks, then maybe we could get that feeling back to Epcot. If that vision of a permanent, ever changing Worlds Fair could be regained, then the changes to Epcot we all want to see would come naturally.

I would LOVE to see the original Journey, Horizons, and World of Motion back, but I'd rather see reworked versions of these attractions that are even better!

And the Dreamfinder... I always got the vibe that Figment didn't like Channing as much.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyotaku View Post

And the Dreamfinder... I always got the vibe that Figment didn't like Channing as much.
    Ya think? If one reads the current version taking into account the pavilion's history, Figment wants Channing out of his house in response to what he did with that crap with the Imagination Scanner. We're just caught in the middle.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• I am not a Krusty Krab

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMonroe View Post
    Eh, where is this information taken from? There's some nice articles on canned projects on it.

• Banned User

Imagination Pavilion, Walt Disney World, EPCOT Center

Eh, where is this information taken from? There's some nice articles on canned projects on it.
    Want the original version of Journey Into Imagination back with new animatronics,new effects,new technolgy,but with the same soundtrack.that's what I'd like.
    I want Dr. Nigel Channing gone for good. he doesnt even fit in the paviliion anymore. honey i shrunk the audience sucked and is finally gone. so should journey into a boring science lesson with dr. nigel channing attraction. theyre equally bad and i never want them to return again. original imagination with new technology,animatonics,and effects with the same soundtrack sound sgreat to me. better yet remake the original imagworks upstairs too with newer technology. captain eo replaced with a brand new 3d attraction with dreamfinder and figment and bam! All the imagination fans will be freekin happy.including me

In my opinion EPCOT needs a new refurbishment at the same size as the one at DCA.
    This park is very beautiful, but looks a bit outdated and has a horrible lack of rides.
    Please, forget the "educational rides" adn the old rides like Journey to your Imagination. EPCOT needs his own Project Gemini.
    They would recover the projects like Rainforest Coaster and Time Racers.
    In fact, from the current Future World, I only would hold M:S, Soarin', Test Track 2.0 and Seas. All the other rides must be closed and must to be changed for new and fresh rides (Rainforest C, Time Racers, StormRider, Aquatopia, Tron Cycles Coaster...).
    In the other hand, World Showcase needs, simply, rides! How is possible to have a theme park with the half of its territory without rides?
    EPCOT is the 4th or 3rd most visited theme park in the world, they don't need the sponsorship of the countries for add new rides. Can you imagine Universal Studios with a no-rides Egypt area because the egiptian government doesn't pay for Revenge of the Mummy? It's insane!
    World Showcase must to add new rides now. Imagine the Ratatouille Dark ride in Paris area, a Brother Bear Rapids in Canada, Pooh Honey Hunt in UK or Daring Legend of Mulan in China? World Showcase sounds more funny in this way, isn't it?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IvanJ View Post
    In my opinion EPCOT needs a new refurbishment at the same size as the one at DCA.
    This park is very beautiful, but looks a bit outdated and has a horrible lack of rides.
    Please, forget the "educational rides" adn the old rides like Journey into Imagination with Dreamfinder and Figment. EPCOT needs his own Project Gemini.
    They would recover the projects like Rainforest Coaster and Time Racers.
    In fact, from the current Future World, I only would hold M:S, Soarin', Test Track 2.0 and Seas. All the other rides must be closed and must to be changed for new and fresh rides (Rainforest C, Time Racers, StormRider, Aquatopia, Tron Cycles Coaster...).
    In the other hand, World Showcase needs, simply, rides! How is possible to have a theme park with the half of its territory without rides?
    EPCOT is the 4th or 3rd most visited theme park in the world, they don't need the sponsorship of the countries for add new rides. Can you imagine Universal Studios with a no-rides Egypt area because the egiptian government doesn't pay for Revenge of the Mummy? It's insane!
    World Showcase must to add new rides now. Imagine the Ratatouille Dark ride in Paris area, a Brother Bear Rapids in Canada, Pooh Honey Hunt in UK or Daring Legend of Mulan in China? World Showcase sounds more funny in this way, isn't it?
    Oh god no. no no no no no. we should still have the classic attractions. it's like having disneyland and disneyworld without the classics everyone liked. like it's a small world,pirates of the carribean,and the Haunted Mansion,and The Enchanted Tiki Room. Epcot has 2 classic attractions that everyone loved that should be brought back with new animatronics and new technology but with the same soundtrack remastered. i don't care if they're a little outdated. millions of people loved them. they should atleast bring those attractions back. sure they could update the park that'd be fine but they should atleast keep the well known popular classics too. forget the classics my ***. did you see what happened to the disney channel when they got rid of all the classics. its turned awful. so please my god update the park but bring back the two classics everyone loved. Journey into Imagination and Horizons. then turn Captain EO into a brand new Dreamfinde r and Figment attraction. thatd be the best way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamfinderFigment View Post
    Oh god no. no no no no no. we should still have the classic attractions. it's like having disneyland and disneyworld without the classics everyone liked. like it's a small world,pirates of the carribean,and the Haunted Mansion,and The Enchanted Tiki Room. Epcot has 2 classic attractions that everyone loved that should be brought back with new animatronics and new technology but with the same soundtrack remastered. i don't care if they're a little outdated. millions of people loved them. they should atleast bring those attractions back. sure they could update the park that'd be fine but they should atleast keep the well known popular classics too. forget the classics my ***. did you see what happened to the disney channel when they got rid of all the classics. its turned awful. so please my god update the park but bring back the two classics everyone loved. Journey into Imagination and Horizons. then turn Captain EO into a brand new Dreamfinde r and Figment attraction. thatd be the best way to go.
    I might be wrong but I believe he's being sarcastic.

• Banned User

I might be wrong but I believe he's being sarcastic.
    I hope so. Cause of he isn't. Then he must be crazy. Does he realize what a awful idea that is

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast