World Showcase at Night

Possibly my favorite place in the entire Disney world, not to mention Walt Disney World, is the World Showcase promenade at night after Illuminations. It's just about the most beautiful, peaceful, lovely place I know ... and I've been fortunate to have been around the real world, too. Anyone else feel the same?

I was wondering, though -- on my last visit a few weeks ago, the volume on the speakers seemed unusually low, both during Illuminations and afterward. In some places, they seemed to be off altogether. Did I experience an unusual glitch, or is this ""normal" now?

• formerly very helpful

Re: World Showcase at Night

I can't speak to the sound issue, since I haven't been there in WAY too long. But while I actually prefer the morning hours, World Showcase is wonderful at any time of the day. It's one of those great environments that's just a wonderful place to be. You don't even need the E-ticket rides or anything. Just a simple stroll, maybe with the right person, pure Heaven. Of course, the French pavilion at night with all those lights is pretty special, too...

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Possibly my favorite place in the entire Disney world, not to mention Walt Disney World, is the World Showcase promenade at night after Illuminations. It's just about the most beautiful, peaceful, lovely place I know ... and I've been fortunate to have been around the real world, too. Anyone else feel the same?
    I can't speak to the speaker issue, but I agree with this 100%. World Showcase at night - right before or after Illuminations - is absolutely my favorite place/time in Walt Disney World, and one of my favorite places in the entire world. I've also been fortunate enough to travel quite a bit internationally, including to all five Disney resorts, and World Showcase at night is definitely in my top 5 beautiful/charming/romantic places on earth. It really is one of the best examples of the incredible beauty and immersion that Disney themed design is capable of, and a testament to the Imagineers and artists who designed it.

(It's also worth noting that World Showcase is one of very, very few places in WDW that hasn't been changed significantly since 1994. Is it a coincidence that it's one of the best places in WDW? I don't think so.)
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

I like it best when they take away those silly carts selling glow-in-the-dark circus gizmos and the whole thing loses the "sideshow" feel it takes on about 90 minutes before "Illuminations." They must sell, I guess. I don't get it. I remember being a kid and my parents saying, "It stops glowing in a few hours, and then you'll never play with it again. NO."

But, once everyone starts to leave, you hang back for about 20-25 minutes, sip on a cool drink, peruse a few of the shops that are still open, and try as hard as you can to be the last one out. That's just a magical place to me. Yeah, magic. Real, honest-to-goodness, non-character-induced, non-marketed, non-Marvel, non-Pixar, old-fashioned Disney magic, the kind that is hard to come by ... but is most definitively there.

I'd spend every night of a vacation at World Showcase, I mean it.

• WDW will always be home.

I like it best when they take away those silly carts selling glow-in-the-dark circus gizmos and the whole thing loses the "sideshow" feel it takes on about 90 minutes before "Illuminations." They must sell, I guess. I don't get it. I remember being a kid and my parents saying, "It stops glowing in a few hours, and then you'll never play with it again. NO."
    Haha, my parents said the exact same thing! (And they were right.) And yes, I hate those stupid carts, but sadly they do make a lot of money, so I doubt they'll be going away anytime soon.

But, once everyone starts to leave, you hang back for about 20-25 minutes, sip on a cool drink, peruse a few of the shops that are still open, and try as hard as you can to be the last one out. That's just a magical place to me. Yeah, magic. Real, honest-to-goodness, non-character-induced, non-marketed, non-Marvel, non-Pixar, old-fashioned Disney magic, the kind that is hard to come by ... but is most definitively there.

I'd spend every night of a vacation at World Showcase, I mean it.
    Amen. I know exactly what you mean. It's sad that this is one of the few places/times left in WDW where you can get that kind of experience, pure and undiluted. But man, is it awesome.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Marching along

Yes! I will never forget my wife dancing to the Illuminations (25) exit music as we leisurely strolled around WS, trying, exactly as you said, to be the last to leave Over time she put together an entire routine which she would repeat and perfect. Seeing a serious person enjoy a silly moment like that is priceless!

We also used to love the fact that all the WS CMs would be waiting at the exit near Spaceship Earth, smiling, waving goodbye and saying goodnight as guests strolled put of the park. That was a real touch of Disney showmanship, one of the truly classy "little things" that set WDW apart from everything else. It was the promise of EPCOT personified, a "future world" where everyone lived in harmony. A simple yet poignant, symbolic gesture that made you say "wow, that was a perfect day."

Ah, WS at night. As you say, pure Magic. We can't wait for the kids to get older so we can enjoy that again.

• formerly very helpful

It needs to be said. This thread needs photos.

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    It needs to be said. This thread needs photos.
    Name:  P9040456.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  195.0 KB

Name:  P9040457.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  208.4 KB

• formerly very helpful

Now we're talking! And that shot of France is pure art!

Thank you, sbk!

A kid with a glow necklace made a nice impression on this one:

Name:  P9290793.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  238.0 KB