Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Expedition Everest

I love EE's theming but hate that the yeti is defunct. Please chat about your EE thoughts here!

I give the overall ride:
    2.5 Disco Yetis
    Name:  discoyeti-2.5.png
Views: 547
Size:  12.5 KB

Re: Expedition Everest

I've actually thought about it and Disneyland has had disco yetis for well over 50 years now.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

It's really a shame about the Yeti. Disney nickels and dimes but won't spend on the important things. "No one will notice" is probably the overriding theme. I understand that it would take a GIANT renovation and overhaul to make it work.

Well, if that's the case, quit talking and start doing. This is what is supposed to set Disney apart.

Seen the Dementor on the Harry Potter ride? Mm-hmm. Apparently Disney hasn't. Or, more likely, doesn't care.

On the plus side, I first went on Expedition Everest in 2008, about 1.5 years after it opened. I remember thinking how SPARSE the landscaping looked, and how it didn't match my mind's vision of what Mount Everest would look like. I recently saw a photo of the "lowland" area, and was surprised at how authentic EE was in comparison. Moreover, I went on the ride about six weeks ago, and loved how the trees and plants were growing in, making it feel that much more exciting.

However ... Crazy-Scary In-Your-Face Dementor, meet Non-Moving-Off-in-the-Distance Yeti. You guys should talk.

I'm not sure why, but the Yeti not working has never really bothered me. I mean, I know it should work, but I still enjoy the ride just as much as I did when it was functional. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
    I'm not sure why, but the Yeti not working has never really bothered me. I mean, I know it should work, but I still enjoy the ride just as much as I did when it was functional. Maybe that's just me though.
    Probably because, as impressive as it is technically, you never had time to appreciate it. I'd definitely prefer if it were working, but a 5 second glimpse at an AA isn't going to make or break a ride. Of course, I never thought that highly of Everest to begin with. Nice facade, meh ride.

Quote Originally Posted by EC82 View Post
    Seen the Dementor on the Harry Potter ride? Mm-hmm. Apparently Disney hasn't. Or, more likely, doesn't care.
    You know that's just a dummy on a robotic arm, right? Same setup as the angler fish on Nemo. It works well enough, but I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Forbidden Journey is actually a funny comparison for Everest, because the giant spider, like the yeti, is a figure you see only briefly. Yet it doesn't move (and wasn't designed to) and hardly anyone complains about this. I think this potentially proves that the yeti was always an overhyped waste of money considering the small role it played.
    Last edited by JtnOrl; 05-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.

This may be a stupid thing to say - but I've never let that stop me before! Any who, I'm pretty sure that an outside company made the Yeti - shouldn't Disney have some sort of contractual agreement with them that means the company HAS to fix it?
    “Walt Disney is a thing, an image that people have . . . I drink and I smoke and there are a lot of other things I do that don’t fit that image. But that image stands for something, and you don’t have to explain to people what it means.”Walt Disney

Follow me on Twitter at WaltsMartini for Disney Happy Hour at any hour!

• Inappropriate

Has the yeti now been defunct for longer than it was actually working??

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

I disagree with you guys sooo much about the yeti. Sure you didn't see him for long but that's what makes the best horror movies so effective, you see this startling image and aren't able to grasp it, its the unknown that's so scary and it captures your imagination. The yeti is a mysterious creature, being able to see that it in broad daylight long enough to study it would have completely ruined it. I remember flying through that tunnel and rushing toward this huge figure hanging on to the side of this big cavern and the way you fly toward it, it was so much bigger and closer than I imagined after watching those brilliant tv specials they produced. I still haven't been able to find the one where Joe Rhode went to Nepal which aired on either the Discovery Channel or the Travel Channel. The mythology behind the whole thing was incredible.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Has the yeti now been defunct for longer than it was actually working??
    Yes. We passed that milestone a while ago.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Inappropriate

Quote Originally Posted by KingEric View Post
    Yes. We passed that milestone a while ago.
    That's borderline depressing. But a record for a Disney item, right? Has there ever been anything else that was broken longer than it worked? Maybe the upstairs Imageworks?

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• former CM

Year the HM was erected & when the year guests were allowed inside?

That's borderline depressing. But a record for a Disney item, right? Has there ever been anything else that was broken longer than it worked? Maybe the upstairs Imageworks?
    You could say that none of these were "broken," but the Submarine Lagoon & the still-conspicuous, abandoned People Mover tracks at Disneyland--where the Haunted Mansion stood without an operating attraction from 1963 (?) till 1969. I'm not sure of those dates, but I'm confident that if I'm wrong, I'll be politely corrected on Micechat.

Re: Year the HM was erected & when the year guests were allowed inside?

If they're not going to fix it, can they just remove it?

• Program

Re: Year the HM was erected & when the year guests were allowed inside?

Quote Originally Posted by thedude76 View Post
    If they're not going to fix it, can they just remove it?
    Disco Yeti is better than no Yeti.

The Yeti is the central focus of the ride. Every park of the surrounding area, the queue, even the lift hill for EE are about the Yeti.

Which makes it absolutely ridiculous that it's not functioning.

The last I had heard of it, the Yeti's problem was structural not mechanical so it's understandable that a repair would be long and costly, but man, it needs it.

It is like going to see Great Moments with Lincoln, and Lincoln isn't there.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Does Epcot being Epcot longer than it was EPCOT Center count? I mean I consider that pretty broken and a very depressing milestone. I wonder if the Wonders of Life and Odyssey have been closed longer than they were open yet as well.

Does the loading platform for the Plaza Swan Boats count? Because if it does, that definitely holds the record.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast