Why is there no rides in Epcot's World Showcase?

A lot of ideas were thrown around about rides in the World Showcase, but why is there barely any today. I read about a Mt. Fuji roller coaster in Japan and boat rides in Germany and the United Kingdom.

Was there never the budget to realize these concepts? I honestly don't know if Disney will ever build any rides in the World Showcase, but what do you think?

Personally, I think that would make kids more interested in exploring these areas, which is always good.

• Inappropriate

Re: Why is there no rides in Epcot's World Showcase?

The title is a little misleading, because there are two rides in World Showcase. I'm sure I'll be corrected, and I hope I am, but from what I understand, each country is sponsored by a company, or in the case of Morocco, it's actually sponsored by Morocco, and the sponsoring company/country pays for what they want. Take Italy, a very small pavilion. It would seem their sponsor didn't fork out much dough. So sometimes the sponsor just doesn't have the kind of money for a large ride. Yet there are 3 1/2 video shows (the 1/2 is Norway) that I assume exist because they are cheaper than rides. Again, this is what I think I understand, and if I'm wrong, I hope I'm corrected.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

No rides in World Showcase, eh? Back, back over the falls!

But seriously, it is the sponsorship issue, yes, why some fell through (Germany's Rhine River Cruise was a solid lock which never got paid for, as I understand it) and some the material never got conquered/finalized to everyone's agreement in management and the outside writers assigned to it (Africa pavilion simulator experience which would have been built, a viewing platform over a 360' sort of virtual animal habitat and walking path through a simulated jungle using sound technology plus a history portion/movie or AA show).

Also, the Meet the World video/audio animatronic show for the Epcot Japan pavilion was completed for Tokyo Disneyland, and never brought to Epcot. Check for it on YouTube.

I think every country should have an attraction

I can never understand why soarin was put in future world when you could easily have shot a nfilm and had soarin over one of the world showcase countries as a kind of 21st century circle vision. As a Brit I think soarin over the uk would be great - fly like Peter pan over London, or soarin over Japan

• Disco Yeti

It'll never happen, obviously, but how about a log flume ride for the Canadian pavilion? I got that idea in my head the other day, and it won't go away.

I've actually thought of a ride for pretty much every pavilion that doesn't have one, but that would make for an incredibly long post...

• Nutty about Disney parks

^ I wouldn't add any roller coasters or thrill rides that would detract from the environment of the pavilions. Everything or the majority would have to be enclosed. Dark rides with the thrill factor of Maelstrom are good enough for me.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Minion

I wonder how legit those Godzilla ride rumors for Japan were. Now that would be cool.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by JunoMacGuff View Post
    It'll never happen, obviously, but how about a log flume ride for the Canadian pavilion? I got that idea in my head the other day, and it won't go away.

I've actually thought of a ride for pretty much every pavilion that doesn't have one, but that would make for an incredibly long post...
    That'd be cool! And around a bend or something, you could see animatronic log drivers out on the river!

But, yeah, as toonaspie says, I wouldn't want it to be a big, adrenalie dropping one like Splash Mountain.

• Disco Yeti

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    That'd be cool! And around a bend or something, you could see animatronic log drivers out on the river!
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    But, yeah, as toonaspie says, I wouldn't want it to be a big, adrenalie dropping one like Splash Mountain.
    Oh, of course. I was thinking of it being closer to El Rio del Tiempo/Gran Fiesta Tour or perhaps Maelstrom in terms of intensity than Splash Mountain.

What is the more interesting, stimulating, and less monotonous sequence:

RIDE 1!!!-RIDE 2!!!-RIDE 3!!!-RIDE 4!!!-RIDE 5!!!-RIDE 6!!!-RIDE 7!!!-RIDE 8!!!-RIDE 9!!!-RIDE 10!!!

OR:

RIDE!!!-relaxing film-art gallery-RIDE!!!-relaxing film-unique shop-RIDE!!!-relaxing film-pleasant live entertainment-RIDE!!!

That is why it is designed the way it is.

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by Justonedream View Post
    What is the more interesting, stimulating, and less monotonous sequence:

RIDE 1!!!-RIDE 2!!!-RIDE 3!!!-RIDE 4!!!-RIDE 5!!!-RIDE 6!!!-RIDE 7!!!-RIDE 8!!!-RIDE 9!!!-RIDE 10!!!

OR:

RIDE!!!-relaxing film-art gallery-RIDE!!!-relaxing film-unique shop-RIDE!!!-relaxing film-pleasant live entertainment-RIDE!!!

That is why it is designed the way it is.
    Well... Also because a lot of planned attractions were never built. Most glaringly... Germany and Japan have gigantic show buildings (built in anticipation of Rhine River Cruise and Meet The World respectively) that sit completely unused, Italy is about half finished (it was designed to go back much farther with a gondola attraction similar to what wound up at Tokyo DisneySea) as is the African Outpost (which was going to be Sub-Saharan Africa - one of the most elaborate WS pavilions with multiple attractions), and there are many planned pavilions that were never built.

Most of the above falling through can be chalked up to sponsorships that fell through and/or Eisner cancelling most of phase 2 when he arrived because he disliked EPCOT Center and thought that the company had spent way too much on it.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

Well if they were going to put Meet The World in the Japan pavilion why didn't they just bring it all over when the show closed in Tokyo?

• WDW will always be home.

Quote Originally Posted by J.E.Smith View Post
    Well if they were going to put Meet The World in the Japan pavilion why didn't they just bring it all over when the show closed in Tokyo?
    The same reason it wasn't installed originally - cost. There's also a rumor that Meet The World was not installed in FL because Disney was worried about how FL's older and more conservative population would react to the way the attraction handled WWII. I'm not sure how much truth lies in that rumor, but take it FWIW.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney