• Minion

Lightbulb What EPCOT could have looked like if built today

I saw this video and it immediately reminded me of the imagination/ Living with the Land pavilions.

Here's a quote from the site:

The project started in London with few companies and artists invited to create a vision for the future mega developed city. The metropolis depicted in the video is New York since that's where most of the production happened. The overall "Megatropolis" project didn't make it to its final stage but the concept grew into this architectural utopia.
    "City in the sky" is a concept about an imaginary tranquil oasis above the mega developed and polluted city where one can escape from the everyday noise and stress. The concept is inspired by the Lotus flower which is known for its ability to emerge above the murky waters pure and clean.
    The visual appeal, the intent behind it and it's "Megatropolis" backstory scream of Walt Disney's vision of the future. What do you guys think?

• WDW will always be home.

Re: What EPCOT could have looked like if built today

I don't think it really does Walt's vision of EPCOT justice to compare it to this... The goal of this project appears to be to create a livable space above an unlivable city. The goal of EPCOT was to make cities livable again. In a sense, this is almost the antithesis of EPCOT.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Seems more like the Jetsons to me, what with the whole "building magic sky castles over the filthy Flintstones society on the surface" thing.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

BUMPS

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph28 View Post
    BUMPS
    Thank you!

And your all right, not entirely the city of the future. But you got to admit, it's pretty darn cool and It looks like a alternate take on the imagination pavilion and/or Living with the Land.

Idk, but I wonder what the world would be like now, if Walt's Epcot became a reality.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

There are a lot of projects like this in science fiction, and they're always about a large mass of common, poor folk down below while the wealthy, special folk dwell up in the clouds. Nice animation, but a scary concept.

I'm not sure where to start in how bizarre this is.

What is the goal? I understand the concept of a "new ground," but the old ground is usually contaminated in some way by politics, pollution, disease, or a poor economy. Where is this? The city in the animation looks nice on the ground!

These spaces on the ground would feel like vacuous plazas even with a lot of people occupying them, let alone in the air. Are there enough elevators in the world to transport a constant flow of people 1000 feet in the air to fill this space so it feels halfway occupied and active?

Why do they look like flowers again?