Teen Refused Entry over Costume

• Not here to help

Re: Teen Refused Entry over Costume

All is good.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Disney has a pretty well-known policy of not allowing adults to wear costumes to the parks outside of the Halloween parties at MK (and people in Star Wars costumes for Star Wars Weekends). I was honestly surprised to hear they got in DHS without any issues. And the policy is in place for the reason stated... some guests might confuse those in costume as actual park characters.

• Shablagoo!

Yep, Disney did the right thing. She should come back for the Halloween Party.

Meh, Disney did what they had to do. I don't see why she's crying though.

• I am not a Krusty Krab

i do feel bad for her and think her costume was great but rules is rules.

This is my signature, there are many like it but this one is mine, without me my signature is useless, without my signature i am useless!

"You'll need a Boesky, a Jim Brown, a Miss Daisy, two Jethro's, a Leon Spinx, not to mention the biggest Ella Fitzgerald ever."

• WDW will always be home.

Agree with the consensus here. This policy has been in place for a LONG time and Disney is generally pretty uniform about enforcing it. Kids can get away with being in costume because no one will think they're a Disney face character. Teens and adults can't. Disney can't risk that other guests will think that the costumed individuals are official Disney characters and then hold Disney responsible for something the costumed individuals did.

It's unfortunate that this particular girl didn't know the policy - her costume is great and I feel bad that this ruined her day. If I was her I'm sure I'd be very upset, but the CMs at the DAK gate made the right call.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Inappropriate

She got free clothes and was still allowed to stay. I've no sympathy for her at all.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Tosses glitter on stuff

Kind of off-topic, but does this policy only apply to Disney costumes? 'Cause I've seen people get through in full-on anime cosplay with no issues.
    Pudding sure is nice~

• Minion

I was honestly surprised to hear they got in DHS without any issues.
    Yeah, me, too. I'm thinking she must have not had her whole costume on, or a jacket over it, or something, when she went through the turnstile.

Quote Originally Posted by kyunkyua View Post
    Kind of off-topic, but does this policy only apply to Disney costumes? 'Cause I've seen people get through in full-on anime cosplay with no issues.
    I watched a YouTube video a while back of some kids who dressed as Kingdom Hearts characters. They made it into the park but were later told to change. But then again, it does feature Disney characters so I'm not really sure.

I've also seen someone dressed as a pin-up girl at Hollywood Studios (really well-done too).

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by notpennysboat View Post
    I watched a YouTube video a while back of some kids who dressed as Kingdom Hearts characters. They made it into the park but were later told to change. But then again, it does feature Disney characters so I'm not really sure.

I've also seen someone dressed as a pin-up girl at Hollywood Studios (really well-done too).
    Pin-up is more fashion than costume and if they start denying people for stuff like that they're taking the no costume thing a bit too far. They totally did the right thing with this Tinkerbell girl though. I hope someone told her about the Halloween thing if she's really that determined to get into the park in costume.

Incidentally, does the exception for Halloween only apply to the Magic Kingdom or can people go to other parks in costume too? I emailed guest services asking this same question and they gave me a very unhelpful form letter that had all the rules for costumes on it, but didn't answer my question at all.

Of course, during Halloween, if guests wear costumes of Disney characters they also have to wear a bad or sash that says they are not Disney employees. I don't know why they can't just had those out all the time for when stuff like this comes up. I guess it's easier just to not let people in costume in than run the risk of any sort of confusion.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Dreamer

Stockton, CA..350 mi away from DLR but that never stops us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    She got free clothes and was still allowed to stay. I've no sympathy for her at all.
    I completely agree. Hormonal teen girl needs to get over it.
    "Whether in his movies or in his theme parks, Disney always promised a fantasy in which one could exercise the privileges of childhood - privileges he never abandoned in his own life. This will to power took the inanimate and brought it to life, or the illusion of like. In animation one could exercise the power of a god." - Neal Gabler, writer-'Walt Disney, The Triumph of The American Imagination'

• Minion

I remember reading a while back - must have been over a year ago - about and Englishwoman who was told she couldn't wear an old wedding dress and tiara (she and her daughter were playing Generic Princess) to Disneyland Paris.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This is where Disney has to enforce things. If you let one go by, the next will get more detailed and more inappropriate. And of course that person will say "but you let the others dress up".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast