Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Guilty Pleasure: Spectromagic. I realize that objectively it's not as good a parade as the MSEP (though I would argue the MSEP's scale is off for WDW's MK which is why it belongs in DL), and everything about Spectro screams "Eisner" (and I'm no fan of Eisner), but I was the right age for this parade when it came out, and to this day, it's probably the most emotional/nostalgic experience on property for me. I just need to hear the soundtrack and I get goosebumps and start to tear up a little. I really wish they'd bring it back and send the MSEP (y'know, the special parade that was part of the summer promotion in 2009) back to CA where it belongs.

    Guilty Pleasure Honorable Mention: Universe of Energy in its current incarnation (I honestly can't figure out whether I enjoy it genuinely or ironically).

    Innocent Pain: Soarin'. Now before you jump down my throat, let me qualify this. Soarin' is enjoyable and a very relaxing experience. It has one of the best soundtracks of any Disney attraction ever. And... It has nothing whatsoever to do with The Land Pavilion or Epcot Future World. This represents one of the greatest missed opportunities in Epcot's history. There is so much more they could have done with the Soarin' technology - in World Showcase. Think about it - it could've been added to one of the existing countries that doesn't have an attraction. Or better yet, it could've been put in one of the expansion pad areas where it could've functioned as an airport to countries unrepresented in World Showcase (with several alternating films). That would've been so cool. What'd we get instead? An exact clone of the attraction in CA (but with a more boring/generic queue), placed in Future World where it has 0 relevance, and a show building that adds to the already-way-too-long list of visual intrusions in World Showcase. Blech

    ---------- Post added 06-14-2012 at 11:52 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Medd63 View Post
    This! The dedicated theater for it in WDW holds nowhere near the wonder of the Rivers Of America or New Orleans Square parts of Disneyland.
    Personally, I like being able to sit down at WDW, but the show itself is so much better at DL. That's the biggest difference IMHO, though you're right that New Orleans Square has a lot more charm than a generic, gigantic amphitheater.
    Last edited by PSUMark; 06-14-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  2. #17

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ottawa Canada
    Posts
    620

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    Innocent Pain: Soarin'. Now before you jump down my throat, let me qualify this. Soarin' is enjoyable and a very relaxing experience. It has one of the best soundtracks of any Disney attraction ever. And... It has nothing whatsoever to do with The Land Pavilion or Epcot Future World. This represents one of the greatest missed opportunities in Epcot's history. There is so much more they could have done with the Soarin' technology - in World Showcase. Think about it - it could've been added to one of the existing countries that doesn't have an attraction. Or better yet, it could've been put in one of the expansion pad areas where it could've functioned as an airport to countries unrepresented in World Showcase (with several alternating films). That would've been so cool. What'd we get instead? An exact clone of the attraction in CA (but with a more boring/generic queue), placed in Future World where it has 0 relevance, and a show building that adds to the already-way-too-long list of visual intrusions in World Showcase. Blech .
    While I partly agree Soarin' was considered for several World Showcase pavilions but WDI never found a good spot for it and I would say it does sort of fit with the Land because it's a pavilion on the land and what do you do in Soarin'? Admire scenery, but yeah could have been pulled off better.

  3. #18

    • Dreamer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    3 hrs south of the World.
    Posts
    335

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Guilty Pleasure:
    Carousel of Progress. My "let's pay tribute to Walt Disney" ride. Love the history of this ride (World's Fair) and that it is still spinning around all these years. Love the optimism too!

    Innocent Pain: I really want to say Stitch, but I am going to saw Test Track. I never saw anything appealing about that ride. My drive up 95/turnpike to get to WDW is more thrilling. Really hoping that the refurb makes this ride a must do for me.

  4. #19

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    It has nothing whatsoever to do with The Land Pavilion
    I disagree with the "nothing whatsoever" part. While it doesn't go in-depth, it does show an overview of the widely varying topography and geomorphology found in one area of the U.S.

    That said, I would love to see Soarin' 2.0 encompass a wider area.

  5. #20

    • WDW will always be home.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    697

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by Twist1234 View Post
    I would say it does sort of fit with the Land because it's a pavilion on the land and what do you do in Soarin'? Admire scenery
    Quote Originally Posted by ttintagel View Post
    I disagree with the "nothing whatsoever" part. While it doesn't go in-depth, it does show an overview of the widely varying topography and geomorphology found in one area of the U.S.
    I maintain that Soarin' has nothing whatsoever to do with The Land. The Land is about agriculture and environmental harmony, not "admiring scenery." And Soarin' doesn't present an "overview" in any meaningful sense - there's no discussion of how the different topographies developed, or why they're so varied in that region of the country, or how we can live on or otherwise utilize that land in an ecologically friendly manner - it's just a sightseeing tour of CA. That's all it is. Great for a theme park about CA; completely out of place in a Future World pavilion.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney



  6. #21

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    57

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    I maintain that Soarin' has nothing whatsoever to do with The Land. The Land is about agriculture and environmental harmony, not "admiring scenery." And Soarin' doesn't present an "overview" in any meaningful sense - there's no discussion of how the different topographies developed, or why they're so varied in that region of the country, or how we can live on or otherwise utilize that land in an ecologically friendly manner - it's just a sightseeing tour of CA. That's all it is. Great for a theme park about CA; completely out of place in a Future World pavilion.
    Wait...you mean you want to go to EPCOT and actually LEARN something?

    Blasphomy!

  7. #22

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    374

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    MAGIC KINGDOM:

    Guilty Pleasure:
    Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover
    Innocent Pain: Tomorrowland Speedway

    EPCOT:

    Guilty Pleasure:
    Ellen's Energy Adventure
    Innocent Pain: Captain EO

    HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS:

    Guilty Pleasure:
    Animation Academy

    Innocent Pain:
    Studio Backlot Tour

    ANIMAL KINGDOM:

    Guilty Pleasure:
    Festival of the Lion King

    Innocent Pain:
    Finding Nemo - The Musical

  8. #23

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Chickapin Hill
    Posts
    10,907
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Guilty Pleasure: Sounds Dangerous. I know most people loathed it, but I always thought it was a cute diversion. Drew Carey was a likeable character and though it's not a headliner, it was always fun for me. (Though, if something fantastic replaces it, I 'm not going to mourn its loss too much. )

    Innocent Pain: Festival of the Lion King. I just don't get the appeal. The Lion King never really resonated with me, and I have no interest in the cirque type shows, so this seems to be not the show for me.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!










  9. #24

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Guilty Pleasure & Innocent Pain

    Here's a weird one:

    Guilty Pleasure: Pizza. I don't know what all the complaints are about. I actually liked the pizzas they used to serve at Pinocchio's and other places. I never found them to be gross or rubbery. My fiance also developed a weird obsession with the pizza you can get delivered to your room if you stay onsite. Granted neither of us are foodies, but I still don't get all the hate.

    Innocent Pain: Soarin'. I don't get why this ride is the greatest thing ever. It's not even that it's the California film, or that it has no place in The Land, though I agree with that. I don't even get why the ride experience is so amazing. It's a motion simulator with a smelitzer. It's not like it's some marvel of model engineering no matter how much the dude that designed it and his erector set wants you to think it is. I went on Soarin once and all it did for me was make me wish Horizons was still around when the orange smell got blown in my face. In fact, that's how my cousin hyped it for me. "We have to go on Soarin," he said. "It has the Horizons smell."
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. What's your "Weird" Guilty Pleasure?
    By SummerInFL in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2008, 05:23 AM
  2. What is your Guilty Pleasure Dessert at Disney?
    By nbodyhome in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-05-2008, 04:47 PM
  3. Favorite Guilty Pleasure Food
    By tiggerfan in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 10-21-2006, 12:35 PM
  4. Summer's Guilty Pleasure - Big Brother 6
    By HiddenMickey in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 11:10 AM
  5. Guilty Pleasure???
    By snappy in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 11:39 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •