Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Staying at Pop Century

I have a couple of questions. Is there anywhere at the resort to buy a carton of milk? We are planning on bringing our own cereal and was curious about this.

Also do you guys think these are good restaurants to make reservations for, it's for two adults.

MK: Be our Guest (if its open) or Liberty Tree
    HS: 50's Prime Time (lunch) Derby (dinner)
    EP: The Mexican Restaurant
    Jeff Wayne

• WDW will always be home.

Re: Staying at Pop Century

The prices will (of course) be inflated, but yes, the food court has a "market" section where I believe you should be able to buy a carton of milk.

As someone who's eaten at most of the restaurants at WDW, I think those are excellent restaurant choices. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in your restaurant choices? If so I might be able to provide a more informed recommendation, but the ones you've already chosen are great.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PSUMark View Post
    The prices will (of course) be inflated, but yes, the food court has a "market" section where I believe you should be able to buy a carton of milk.

As someone who's eaten at most of the restaurants at WDW, I think those are excellent restaurant choices. Is there anything in particular you're looking for in your restaurant choices? If so I might be able to provide a more informed recommendation, but the ones you've already chosen are great.
    Thank you for the heads up! Well for the MK I wanted to go to Cinderella's Royal Table, but I thought the price was a bit high, especially for two guys and it seemed like it would be geared more toward the younger crowd. I'm basically looking for some nice meals that aren't going to break the bank basically. I've never dined at any of the Epcot restaurants except for the Paris one, but the Mexican one just looks really cool!
    Jeff Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    Thank you for the heads up! Well for the MK I wanted to go to Cinderella's Royal Table, but I thought the price was a bit high, especially for two guys and it seemed like it would be geared more toward the younger crowd. I'm basically looking for some nice meals that aren't going to break the bank basically. I've never dined at any of the Epcot restaurants except for the Paris one, but the Mexican one just looks really cool!
    Yeah, I think you made the right call with Cinderella's Royal Table. There's no view and the food is mediocre at best (especially for the price). Really the only reasons to eat there are if you're dying to meet the princesses (in which case there are probably still better options) or to say you ate in the castle.

The Plaza Restaurant is an often overlooked restaurant in the MK where you pay almost-quick service meal prices for pretty good table service dining. The food/atmosphere isn't quite as good as Liberty Tree Tavern, but it also costs significantly less. Obviously I can't speak to Be Our Guest except that it looks awesome and I'm excited to be able to try it out.

At DHS, I'm a fan of Sci-Fi Dine In (cheaper than Brown Derby, similar prices to Prime Time '50s) but that one tends to be pretty hit or miss - people either love it or hate it, so may not be worth the risk that you'll hate it. Mama Melrose is also in the same price range and is arguably the best Italian food on property outside of Epcot/DTD. It seems to be often overlooked, but I highly recommend it.

Pretty much all the food at Epcot is excellent depending on your tastes. There are actually two Mexican restaurants - San Angel Inn is a simulated nighttime environment (think Blue Bayou) whereas La Hacienda de San Angel is on the World Showcase Lagoon and has a great view of Illuminations if you time it right. I can't speak to the food at the latter (it's on the newer side and I've yet to eat there) but the food and atmosphere at the former is great. I'm also a big fan of Via Napoli and Les Chefs de France, but it's hard to go wrong in Epcot.

Hopefully that helps. Feel free to post any more specific questions!
    Last edited by PSUMark; 06-12-2012 at 09:15 PM.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

• Five-Legged Goat

The Mexico restaurant that's inside the pavilion, San Angel Inn, definitely has atmosphere and location going for it. With its waterside location, it's like the Blue Bayou of WDW restaurants. But if you're trying not to break the bank, San Angel will be pretty pricey even for lunch, and the food isn't great. (If you live in San Francisco, you're likely to have eaten at plenty of places in the Mission that are both tastier and cheaper.)

La Cava del Tequila, also in Mexico, is cozy and has a nice atmosphere. Try it if you like tequilas, margaritas, etc. It does serve some snacks, but probably not enough to make a real meal.

The Biergarten in Germany is a lively setting -- it's a buffet, so it can end up being more affordable than other places in Epcot. The selections are pretty protein- and carb-heavy though, so depending on what you're looking to eat, it may or may not be the best choice. If there's just two of you, you're also likely to be seated at a larger table with another party -- so that could be a good or bad thing, depending on whether you feel like interacting with strangers while you eat.

Via Napoli in Italy is a pretty good choice if you like Italian food; it's one of the newer additions to the Epcot restaurant scene. The setting is bright and airy, but can get a bit noisy, as the dining area is pretty much just one large, high-ceilinged room.

Have you considered restaurants at the resorts? There are some pretty good choices outside the parks as well.

---------- Post added 06-13-2012 at 01:11 AM ----------

At DHS, I'm a fan of Sci-Fi Dine In (cheaper than Brown Derby, similar prices to Prime Time '50s) but that one tends to be pretty hit or miss - people either love it or hate it, so may not be worth the risk that you'll hate it.
    The Sci-Fi Dine In is one of the other places I was thinking of suggesting. I've found the food to be pretty unextraordinary, but I love the setting -- it's fun and unique. However, because you're likely going to be seated right next to another member of your party in a "car," you'll both be facing in the same direction. Some people find it a bit awkward for conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhio View Post
    The Mexico restaurant that's inside the pavilion, San Angel Inn, definitely has atmosphere and location going for it. With its waterside location, it's like the Blue Bayou of WDW restaurants. But if you're trying not to break the bank, San Angel will be pretty pricey even for lunch, and the food isn't great. (If you live in San Francisco, you're likely to have eaten at plenty of places in the Mission that are both tastier and cheaper.)
    I don't know if your comments are based on recent experience or not, but a couple years ago, San Angel Inn revised their menu. Most (including myself) have found the new menu to be more authentic and better tasting. Obviously, YMMV.
    -Walt Disney

The resort gist shops have a small world selection, including milk by the half-gallon and cereal, and the value resorts seem to have a larger food selection than the deluxe do.

Liberty Tree is one of my favorite restaurants, 50's Prime Time has PB&J milkshakes that are incredible, and San Angel has always been my dad's favorite Epcot restaurant, followed by Tutto Italia in Italy (although Alfredo's was better)
    WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

• Minion

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions I'm looking into everything right now
    Jeff Wayne

• formerly very helpful

My own personal choice would be Liberty Tree Tavern at MK. It's an incredible atmosphere, and as I recall, pretty good food for an amusement park.

We had a BLAST at the 50s Prime Time Diner. Brown Derby was nice, but at the end of the day, it's just a nice restaurant. You probably have many nice restaurants to choose from at home. Instead of that, I'd personally go with Sci-Fi Dine In. Again, the atmosphere is unique, and makes for a wonderful experience. Be sure that you request a seat IN a car.

As has been already said about the San ANgel Inn, you'd be paying for atmosphere - which is phenomenal - but the food is mediocre. It did not compare to the many, MANY Mexican restaurants we have at home, which are fairly authentic where I live.

My advice is go for what you can't get at home. In Disney, that's atmosphere and entertainment.

• Five-Legged Goat

I don't know if your comments are based on recent experience or not, but a couple years ago, San Angel Inn revised their menu. Most (including myself) have found the new menu to be more authentic and better tasting. Obviously, YMMV.
    I haven't eaten at San Angel in a number of years, largely because I'd had a number of disappointing meals there in the past.

We've tried the newer food and beverage locations (La Cava, La Hacienda, Via Napoli, etc.) the last couple of trips. I'll see about checking out San Angel again when I'm in WDW later this year.

• Minion

So it looks like from the reviews and the menu I looked at I'll be skipping out on San Angels. I would rather have a nicer dinner at the Derby (the boyfriends favorite I love Lucy episode is when she goes to the Brown Derby, so thought that would be cute.)

Believe it or not I did work at WDW and at the Liberty Tree, but I was in entertainment then and I believe they stopped doing the characters, can someone tell me how much it is a person now and if its the same type of food, family buffet style?
    Jeff Wayne

Believe it or not I did work at WDW and at the Liberty Tree, but I was in entertainment then and I believe they stopped doing the characters, can someone tell me how much it is a person now and if its the same type of food, family buffet style?
    Liberty Tree is family style for dinner and a la carte for lunch. For dinner, it's $31.99 for adults (includes soft drink, I don't believe it includes tax or tip), for lunch it obviously depends on what you order. There's a web site out there with up to date dining menus for most of WDW, but unfortunately, I don't think I'm allowed to link to it on here. If you google "wdw dining menus" you should get current dining menus for just about every restaurant on property, so you can see current prices.
    -Walt Disney

This hasn't been mentioned yet in the thread, so let me say...I don't like 50's at MGM.

I've eaten there twice, and the food was ok, but the service was terrible. I mean, they try to be cute, acting like an older brother or sister nagging you to finish your food, but it gets old...fast.

The first time I had a 20 something male as a waiter, who just came off annoying, and the second a 60+ female who came off like a nag. Something about being told to "finish your meat loaf"...makes me not want to finish my meat loaf.

For a nostalgic experience with similar food, I'd go to the Sci Fi Drive In Diner. It's a blast!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

This needs to be repeated. I've been dining at the San Angel Inn for years, mainly for the environment. The food was always fairly bland - not exactly bad, just not that great. But they've really changed things up in there. No longer do you get out of the bag Tostitos with a bland tomato sauce salsa, but fresh chips and a tasty (but a little thin) salsa with a bit of a kick to it. And the food is MUCH better than it was in the past. If anyone hasn't eaten there within the past couple of years, I strongly urge you to try it again - they're getting it right now!

I have a couple of questions. Is there anywhere at the resort to buy a carton of milk? We are planning on bringing our own cereal and was curious about this. Also do you guys think these are good restaurants to make reservations for, it's for two adults. MK: Be our Guest (if its open) or Liberty Tree HS: 50's Prime Time (lunch) Derby (dinner) EP: The Mexican Restaurant
    We have stayed at Pop Century fairly regularly and while it's not luxurious, it's a great place to stay. More families, fewer under-chaperoned kids groups (not like All-Star Resorts) and plenty of bus service. The food court is quite decent, if slightly expensive. Small thought - if you are packing through luggage, did you ever think of bringing along individual serving containers of shelf-stable soy or milk? Easily had at Trader Joes, etc. Yes they have milk at the food court, but the price kind of defeats the purpose of bringing the cereal. Re: Restaurants - if you're on a budget and on the run at Animal Kingdom, don't overlook the Flametree BBQ just because it is takeout. And if you're not a big eater, don't overlook some of the kids meals! I'm dying to try Be Our Guest (as a BatB fan), but love Liberty Tree, even at the price. Disneyfood is Disneyfood, and probably not going to ever knock the socks off anyone. When you're trying to please everyone... you know the saying. So you please the most people you can. For silly fun, you might consider the Polynesian Hotel Luau, which is basically all you can eat, they will bring it to your table. Another place we usually love to eat every trip in EPCOT is at the Biergarten. It is a buffet, lunch is less expensive than dinner, but almost the same menu. If you like German food, it's a decent deal. The Coral Seas has an amazing aquarium view, and good food. I guess we don't usually eat at MGM, except for the occasional visit to the Brown Derby just to revisit old Hollywood (and we live in LA). Otherwise, it's a turkey leg on the run. And don't forget you can ask for cups of ice water at any stand that has cups and spigots (not just bottled stuff). OK, I am cheap. But I do spend money where it is worth spending! Have a great time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast